Water Weight?

Hi
I have been reading some posts lately and a lot mention 'water weight'. I am a bit confused as to what exactly this is/means.:frown:
And does it matter if it is water weight? or does this mean you easily put those pounds back on when more water is added to your body, thats why weight fluctuates from day to day?

Also how do you stop the weight you lose being just water weight? By drinking lots more water?

While we are at it, is this the same thing that happens when it is that time of the month for us ladies?
The water retention? And do you get rid of this by drinking more water?

I am very confused!

Replies

• amandagreen1980
    amandagreen1980 Posts: 286 Member
    Hi
    I have been reading some posts lately and a lot mention 'water weight'. I am a bit confused as to what exactly this is/means.:frown:
    And does it matter if it is water weight? or does this mean you easily put those pounds back on when more water is added to your body, thats why weight fluctuates from day to day?

Also how do you stop the weight you lose being just water weight? By drinking lots more water?

While we are at it, is this the same thing that happens when it is that time of the month for us ladies?
    The water retention? And do you get rid of this by drinking more water?

I am very confused!
  • cardgrl
    cardgrl Posts: 175 Member
    From what I understand, and I may be wrong here, but I assume that water weight is water retained in our bodies. Like when we eat salt or when women have their monthly flow, we retain more water, instead of flush it out. When someone gains or loses quite a bit of weight in a day or two, it is assumed to be water weight because it is practically impossible to lose that much weight.
    Am I making sense?
    Drinking more water helps flush out our systems. Especially if we are retaining water due to high sodium intake and such. Are you following me? I don't think there is any way to stop it when you are having your period, Amanda, just be aware that you will probably weigh more during that week of the month.
    Did that help?
  • Your kidneys regulate the amount of water in your body, the general rule is that water follows salt, and the kidney excretes or retains water by setting up sodium gradients in your kidneys (though ADH and other hormones play a big role too - hence changes during ovulation etc). Your body needs to have the right levels of Sodium and Potassium to function normally, and day to day differences in salt intake will be balanced out by kidneys. If you eat a low salt diet, you'll probably get rid of a lot of water to maintain normal sodium levels in the blood. Conversely if you eat a high salt diet, you'll retain some water.

Interestingly, if you drink too much water your body might not be able to excrete it fast enough, and you could end up with too much water in your body, causing relative concentration of sodium to fall. This is called hyponatremia and can have severe consequences. In fact, this is one of the things that causes the marathon runner deaths you hear about (last year's London marathon for instance).

Generally you should drink water if you feel thirsty.

The main reason diets advise people to drink a lot of water is that many of us confuse thirst with hunger! Drinking water should satiate those cravings in a half hour or so. So try having a small glass before having the snack.

Obs if you are working out and sweating a lot, you'll need to increase your water intake, but be reasonable - if you feel thirsty drink, if not, don't overdo it!
  • amandagreen1980
    Wow! Thankyou both, that was very informative!
    I think I may drink too much water, i will definately watch that in future and only drink when i am thirsty!
    :drinker:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    here you go. Good article on water consumption
    at webmd

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/131/117956.htm
  • MsSandyE28
    MsSandyE28 Posts: 15 Member
    That's great advise guys! I agree and thank you! I'm a big salt person and I should really get off the salt!!!
  • Thanks for the article link BANKS! It was VERY informative.

Naj:happy:
  • banks1850
    here's another great article, focusing more on the water weight aspect of water consumption.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/question227.htm
  • That's great advise guys! I agree and thank you! I'm a big salt person and I should really get off the salt!!!

i belong to a weight loss group, in my town. Last meeting we did an informatioin session on the hidden salts in foods.
    i also switched my food diary settings to record my salt intake for the day...i go way over, and that is with trying not to have salt...it is really appaling.
    Unfortunatly the food manufacturers use soooo much of it as a preservative, flavor enhancer, and filler.
    Plus they know they can get away with it.
    I have found a salt alternative, which is made up of nothing but spices, yet it tastes like seasoning salt. But...i have only found it sold at one store...and in canada. I am looking into it further, though. if i can find out more info, i will be sure to post it.
    In the mean time...look closely at nutrition labels, and rince thoroughly everything that comes out of a can.
    FYI...weight watchers bread has less sodium, and smaller slices...so 2 slices is = to a regular 1 slice serving. i was amazed.
  • amandagreen1980
    Thanks for the articles banks, they were great. Think i get it now!!
    :happy:
  • banks1850
    Your welcome Amanda! Any time.