how to log zumba?

oh no!! this is my first night at zumba. what do I look up zumba in the cardio exercise to log it?

and holy cow! I BURNED 1150 CALORIES!!

Replies

• I took my first zumba class today as well.

Love it!!!

How do you log this info?

Linda
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    lol I don't know, thats what I'm trying to find out
  • kvcarden
    kvcarden Posts: 175
    Blombie- since you know how many calories you burned, you can just click on "add exercise" and where you enter the name (in the empty box) next to that box you'll see enter an exercise not listed (that may not be the exact wording) but it's there and you can add Zumba and your calories....hope that helps.
  • KendalBeee
    thanks!!
  • kvcarden
    You're welcome and an 1150 calorie burn is great, I only burn about 600 cals for 60 mins of Zumba....
  • jfilon
    jfilon Posts: 80
    Same here; unless you're wearing a HRM (and not base it off of the instructor's guess), I would say it's closer to 500-600. I've been doing zumba for three years and am getting certified to teach it next week, and the most I've ever burned during the so-hard-I'm-almost-dying sessions, is 780. I wish I burned 1150!

Try a HRM if you can - they work wonders! :bigsmile:
  • april_mesk
    april_mesk Posts: 694 Member
    Do all of you get taught this by an instructor? I have the dvds but, I lost interest in them but am wondering if I should pick them back up again after reading what you girls are saying...Hmmm. I have been thinking of doing something different. I just finished the 30 day shred challenge and may try zumba again. Let me know if any of you actually use the dvds...
  • what is zumba? i see it as a class on the schedule for my gym everyday when i go in but never knew what the heck it is. heheh
  • DeepSeaDoc_Wife
    DeepSeaDoc_Wife Posts: 112 Member
    what is zumba? i see it as a class on the schedule for my gym everyday when i go in but never knew what the heck it is. heheh

Its like a latin dance aerobics. I did it for the first time today and i felt so uncoordinated. I wore a HRM and for 41 minutes of class and being a very uncoordinated person I burned 321 caloris. Imagine how many calories i would burn if I actually knew what I was doing.!
  • KendalBeee
    I think part of the reason I burned so many calories is because I'm 250 pounds. I have to exert more energy to move all 250 pounds of me than someone who is 120-150 pounds. Try doing a zumba class with a backpack with 100 pounds in it and see how many cals you burn. As I lose weight I'm sure I will burn fewer calories doing the same class.

and yes, I wore a heart rate monitor. That was actually my first time using it! I was excited about it!
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    I count Zumba as 450 calories (I am 150 pounds). The same as any other type of aerobics/dance type class. It may or may not be a little bit more, but I don't want to over estimate the calories I burn. I do sweat like crazy though, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! It is so much fun, and you know, the rolling around on the floor laughing at myself burns a lot of calories too!:laugh:
  • april_mesk
    Has anyone actually done the dvds, though?
  • kvcarden
    Has anyone actually done the dvds, though?

Yea I have done the dvds & honestly they are basically like going to the class....for me the only benefits of a live class is I can ask questions about certain movements & I push myself harder bc other people are watching/participating so I don't take breaks and slack off like I was doing at home with the dvds :embarassed:
  • april_mesk
    Okay, great, thanks! I know where there is a class about 20 mins. from here not sure how much it costs but, I also have the dvds maybe I will break them out and try them again. They were fun, I am just soooo uncoordinated :laugh:
  • I bought 2 of the older Zumba DVDs from Amazon.com (they said 2004 on them). Personally, I like them, when I finished one for the first time, boy did my hips hurt! but in a good way:bigsmile:
  • kvcarden
    Okay, great, thanks! I know where there is a class about 20 mins. from here not sure how much it costs but, I also have the dvds maybe I will break them out and try them again. They were fun, I am just soooo uncoordinated :laugh:

You're welcome and don't worry if you join a class you'll see most of us are uncoordinated so you'll fit in just fine :tongue: but seriously I promise the dvds will give you just as a good of a workout if that's more convienent than the 20 min drive.
  • april_mesk
    Thank you. I am going to pull them out again. I had thought that it was just a waste of money and wasn't really as into working out at the point but, am now. I am probably more coordinated now so, it may just work well.
  • I got the ZUmba for our Wii for my birthday.....love it!!