need support ready to go over the edge

Options
ok so i have no idea what is going on or what i am doing wrong. i have been on this sight for about a month now. i know that i have lost inches (about 2-3) when i measure and can tell by my clothes. i don't own a scale so can't do daily weights, i just usually get on my moms when i'm there. i went to the doctors today and according to their scale i am like 5 lbs more than when i started this site and about 7 lbs more than the last time i was on my moms scale:mad: . what the h*#$ is going on? i'm just getting so frustrated. i am one of those people who like to see results fast you know the i want it & i want it now kind! and i know before you say it that this is not going to happen overnight. and noticing the difference in my clothes was good motivation for me, but then when you see that number one the scale go up not down... well that just sucks:frown: and it seems that at first i was into this, but now it seems i'm finding it harder, i don't know if i was depriving myself to much that now i'm craving stuff or maybe it just has to do with the fact that i haven't been able to get to the grocery store and i'm sick of all the same stuff. my car needs a transmission :angry: and i couldn't get my ride this week to the store yet. anyway sorry this is so long but i'm just really needing to let it out and hoped that someone one here has some good advice or something. everyone on here is great with helping:flowerforyou: i also change my pic to about the only pic of me that i like hoping it would give some motivation!

Replies

• wagsgirls
    wagsgirls Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    ok so i have no idea what is going on or what i am doing wrong. i have been on this sight for about a month now. i know that i have lost inches (about 2-3) when i measure and can tell by my clothes. i don't own a scale so can't do daily weights, i just usually get on my moms when i'm there. i went to the doctors today and according to their scale i am like 5 lbs more than when i started this site and about 7 lbs more than the last time i was on my moms scale:mad: . what the h*#$ is going on? i'm just getting so frustrated. i am one of those people who like to see results fast you know the i want it & i want it now kind! and i know before you say it that this is not going to happen overnight. and noticing the difference in my clothes was good motivation for me, but then when you see that number one the scale go up not down... well that just sucks:frown: and it seems that at first i was into this, but now it seems i'm finding it harder, i don't know if i was depriving myself to much that now i'm craving stuff or maybe it just has to do with the fact that i haven't been able to get to the grocery store and i'm sick of all the same stuff. my car needs a transmission :angry: and i couldn't get my ride this week to the store yet. anyway sorry this is so long but i'm just really needing to let it out and hoped that someone one here has some good advice or something. everyone on here is great with helping:flowerforyou: i also change my pic to about the only pic of me that i like hoping it would give some motivation!
  • kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Hey girl, that sucks! Maybe your metabolism is still adjusting? Are you sure you are set at the right number of calories and not over or under estimating?

Wish I knew what to tell you. :ohwell:
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Trust how you feel in your clothes. If you've lost inches, you're doing great!

You probably lost fat and gained muscle, which weighs more and takes up less space - hence the new looseness to your clothing and lost inches!

If you don't weigh yourself often, you may want to plan for your weigh-ins in 2 ways:

1. Avoid salty food (which makes you retain water) for a day or two before.

2. Eat more fiber (veggies and whole grains) for a day or two before a weigh-in. This will make sure that you're not holding a lot of food in your intestines when you weigh in.

Of course there's the obvious - take off your shoes, wear lighter clothing to the doctor ...

But I think these additional steps will make you feel happier when you step on the scale!

Keep up the good work!
    YP
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options

Stop worrying about a silly number. You've lost inches, that is good, which means your body size IS getting smaller. Your weight can fluctuate up to 5 lbs. in just water!!! If you have gained muscle it could be that too. If you ate anything high in sodium or fat 2-3 days ago it will cause you to retain water today. I don't measure my body fat or weigh myself anymore for just the reason you are talking about. I know with me when one thing goes wrong it seems like my whole life is in the toilet. That's when I have to look at my kids and be thankful they are healthy and safe and be happy I was blessed with such great kids(Sometimes I feel like the only thing I did right was my kids:smile:

Hang in there, quit weighing yourself and focus on becoming fit and healthy instead of a dumb number. Think of it as changing your lifestyle, not dieting or even losing weight.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Doctors scales usually weigh heavier than digital ones. Recheck at mom's so you are compareing with the same scale all the time. If you gained a little it is because you are building muscle and that is GOOD! I was here 2 weeks before I lost lbs, and now after a month and a half I am down 10 lbs, its working just stick with it!
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    It may take 3 to 4 weeks even with exercise to start losing..... for women, as I just learned.... hang in there, don't give up. I have always given up after 2 or 3 weeks and gained back 5 pounds more than I lost. I am NEVER going to do that again. NEVER. Stick with us, measure only once a week or once every 2 weeks and concentrate on eating healthy.
  • wagsgirls
    wagsgirls Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I know with me when one thing goes wrong it seems like my whole life is in the toilet. That's when I have to look at my kids and be thankful they are healthy and safe and be happy I was blessed with such great kids(Sometimes I feel like the only thing I did right was my kids:smile:
    i know exactly what you mean. the funny thing is that i have always said that i didn't care what number was on the scale or on my clothes as long as i felt good. and that is normally my feeling i guess that i was just expecting the same or a little lower number on the scale and when i saw that it was higher i got frustrated. hopefully it was just water weight or muscle or a mixture. that is what we will say it was anyway!:wink: i'm just going to try and keep thinking positive and with the help of everyone here i should be able to do that! thanks to everyone!:flowerforyou::heart:
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Also, when you gain muscle, the amount of extra water that you can retain increases. After a tough workout, muscle fibers flush with water to heal themselves.

I totally hear you on the frustration of seeing your weight go up even as you shrink. I've always weighed at least 10 pounds more than friends who wear the same size because I have a lot more muscle - built up from years of swimming, weight-lifting and running.

But guess which one feels best in a bikini? Stop worrying! :flowerforyou:
  • bloomin11
    bloomin11 Posts: 8
    Options
    iF YOU ARE LOSING INCHES THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS AT THIS POINT. IF YOU STARTED EXERCISING AT THE SAME TIME YOU WON'T FIGHT MUCH WEIGHT LOSS INITIALLY BECAUSE MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THAN FAT. SO... YOU ARE BECOMING HEALTHIER, LEANER AND VERY SOON THE POUNDS WILL START COMING OFF AS WELL. DON'T GIVE UP YOU ARE ON THE RIGHT TRACK.
  • cinandchris
    cinandchris Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    iF YOU ARE LOSING INCHES THAT IS ALL THAT MATTERS AT THIS POINT. IF YOU STARTED EXERCISING AT THE SAME TIME YOU WON'T FIGHT MUCH WEIGHT LOSS INITIALLY BECAUSE MUSCLE WEIGHS MORE THAN FAT. SO... YOU ARE BECOMING HEALTHIER, LEANER AND VERY SOON THE POUNDS WILL START COMING OFF AS WELL. DON'T GIVE UP YOU ARE ON THE RIGHT TRACK.

I am having the EXACT same problem. I've been on this site for about 6 or 7 weeks now. I am exercising like crazy. I am eating so much better. I am drinking water and doing everything right. But today I weighed and I am up 2 lbs from my last weight and only have a total loss of 2.5 lbs for all these weeks!!!! And the more I don't see results, the harder I am working at it (more exercise, not going over calories) and STILL NOT SEEING RESULTS !!!! :explode: I know it is harder for women, I know muscle can initially weigh more, but this is sooooooooo frustrating. I did my inches also. I have lost 2. I don't want to give up this time. I really don't. I have worked so hard for nothing so far, but I am determined to make all that work worth something. Today I changed my activity level from sedentary to lightly active to see what this does. I hope things turn around for you soon. I know what a bummer it is to try so hard and see nothing :sad: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: