Clothes Sizing

Today I tried on an old pair of jeans, size 20, in hope that they might fit. My size 24 levis are in sad shape, getting a bit too loose and they're on their last wash. The 20's, well they didn't even come close, could barely get them over my bum, there goes my gladness at how well I had been doing. I went to the mall this afternoon, hoping to find a sale, I found a really cute pair of summer jeans on sale plus an extra 30% off. But they only had a size 16, dejected I took them to the fitting room to see how close I could get. What the heck? Not only could I get them up but I got the zipper AND button done up. They were quite tight in the legs so I didn't buy them, but was elated that I could get them on. I just don't understand why the sizes are not standardized, it's ridiculous how they could be so different.

Replies

• bridgetlevi
    bridgetlevi Posts: 2 Member
    every brand has their own sizing, I find it pretty annoying as well, I try not to focus on it and just grab what I think will work and go from there! a size up or a size down =)
  • weefreemen
    weefreemen Posts: 652 Member
    Yeah they are all over the place with sizes and I swear over the past 10 years or so sizes have been getting larger so what used to be a 12 is now an 8 ;-)
  • wyofarmgirl
    wyofarmgirl Posts: 4 Member
    No kidding.....especially if they are a mid or low rise...won't even cover my butt. I hate that. I am tall too, so that adds to my difficulties. I am feeling your pain girl. Just keep trying...you will find the right ones.
  • hddeuce1966
    hddeuce1966 Posts: 104
    Has anyone noticed that an extra large tee shirt is about 8 inches across when you hold it up. NO extra large woman can wear them.
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    They don't standardize the sizing so that when a size 20 woman (me) is having a bad day, she can put on her one pair of size 18 jeans that fits like a size 22, and feel like she lost a size. :) Seriously though... great job on the 24s being too loose! I do a lot of consignment and used clothing stores, which NEVER have appropriate sizing, but at the same time, I don't want to spend a fortune on something that I plan to have fit too loosely in a month. Never let the sizes get you down- almost every brand of clothing, especially plus sizes- measures differently. Usually, the pricier the label, the smaller their sizing runs (in my experience). Keep up the great work! I am excited to someday get to 29lbs lost like you!
  • kale_powered
    kale_powered Posts: 21 Member
    Don't get too hung up on the sizing, I've got jeans in three different sizes that all fit me well enough more or less right now. This is why I don't really enjoy going clothes shopping - it's such a time consuming task to try everything on and take multiple trips back to the fitting rooms to figure out what size actually fits me decently at each different store. It's also why I don't understand why people are concerned with what clothing size they are. What one person envisions as a size 8 is just as likely what the next person sees as a 4, and the next one a 12... but inches and centimeters are always going to be inches and centimeters.
  • Yes, it is ridiculous and a pain. Different brands size differently. Even in the same brand different styles size differently. And finally, some stuff ends up at discount stores like Ross and Marshall's because it simply has the wrong size tag sewn in!
    And some brands use different names for their plus sizes, so you can wear a small, medium or large instead of 1x, 2x 3x. You just have to look at the stuff and guess, then try it on. Even in shoes you'll see comments online like "runs large, order one size smaller" or vice versa. I stick to one brand of shoes and the ones made in Brazil are sized differently from the ones made in China.
  • mitchipooo
    mitchipooo Posts: 85 Member
    Thanks for letting me vent, I was shaking my head at this one this afternoon. I'm on a hot streak right now and am just too cheap to pay full price for a new pair of jeans that might...NO WILL only fit for a few months. I have a whole summer/vacation wardrobe sitting in a bin in the closet that fits 16 to 18ish but I don't quite fit them yet and I do love a good pair of jeans. Thanks again everyone, it's just one of those things, I'm pretty sure sizes used to be a lot more standardized.
  • Megdmcda
    Megdmcda Posts: 273 Member
    Yes, it is ridiculous and a pain. Different brands size differently. Even in the same brand different styles size differently. And finally, some stuff ends up at discount stores like Ross and Marshall's because it simply has the wrong size tag sewn in!
    And some brands use different names for their plus sizes, so you can wear a small, medium or large instead of 1x, 2x 3x. You just have to look at the stuff and guess, then try it on. Even in shoes you'll see comments online like "runs large, order one size smaller" or vice versa. I stick to one brand of shoes and the ones made in Brazil are sized differently from the ones made in China.

ha ha i believe that... i have a pair of pants that says size 4...but they fit me like my size 18s. lol
  • AwesomeOne66
    AwesomeOne66 Posts: 220
    i used to cut the tags off if I didn't like what it said!!! In Australia, our size 10 is your size 6...so imagine the confusion when we want to purchase clothes from the US!!!

I've gone from an Aussie 16-18 (your 12-14) down to an 8-10 (4-6) over a period of about a year. I would have gone BROKE if I didn't shop at Opportunity Shops (are they called charity shops or thrift stores over there?..yes, I'm talking about second-hand stores.) These beauties let me choose high-end brands for bargain-basement prices...picked me up a pair of near-new Levis for $5 just a couple days ago...instead of new price of over $100.

Ditch the idea of size, hit the second-hand stores and look your finest, girls!!! NO-ONE WILL EVER KNOW!!!!!
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    To really outline the change in sizing, just look at what used to be size 12 what is a size 12 now. I giggle when everyone goes "Marylin Monroe was a size 12! Curvy is better!" A current size 12 is about 41 inch hips. When Marylin was around, a size 12 was 36 inch hips I believe, looking at pattern sizes from that erra. Crazy right!

I do wish they would standardize womens clothing size though. Mens jeans are so easy to pick out for my SO. I wish it could be so easy for me. I have from 8-12 in my closet right now.