Food Addicts Anonymous??

Replies

• ucaminax
    ucaminax Posts: 157 Member
    Leshawn, that is so great you fit into those pants! I have a whole bunch of pants in my closet that I can't wear anymore, and I am looking forward to that day when I am thinner and can wear them again. My wardrobe will be so expanded!

I'm happy to say that today, I stayed well within my calorie range (after yesterday's binge) and I don't feel that starving or like I'm craving dessert intensely.

Zorahope, I'm sorry you feel so terrible about Wednesday, but I was just reading your post, and wondering if it would help to change your weigh in from Friday to another day, maybe that would make it easier to keep from sabotaging the weigh in day, if you are tending to eat more around the same time each week. I hope today went better!

Kate
  • bluenote
    bluenote Posts: 2,930
    Leshawn, that is so great you fit into those pants! I have a whole bunch of pants in my closet that I can't wear anymore, and I am looking forward to that day when I am thinner and can wear them again. My wardrobe will be so expanded!

I'm happy to say that today, I stayed well within my calorie range (after yesterday's binge) and I don't feel that starving or like I'm craving dessert intensely.

Zorahope, I'm sorry you feel so terrible about Wednesday, but I was just reading your post, and wondering if it would help to change your weigh in from Friday to another day, maybe that would make it easier to keep from sabotaging the weigh in day, if you are tending to eat more around the same time each week. I hope today went better!

Kate

Thanks, Kate. Today did go better. As for the weigh-in date, thanks for the suggestion. I do like Fridays because my routine is good Mon.-Fri. USUALLY - unless a birthday dinner sneaks in and ruins everything! :laugh: I just hate weighing myself on any day!!! :grumble:
  • This really could be a great therapy group for everyone going through this! So here goes...

My name is Manda and I am a food addict.

Looking back it all started when I was a child. My father worked at Meadow Gold and was always bringing ice cream and other frozen sweets home to us from work. I remember my parents fighting a lot and then they divorced. Through all of this I would just eat. I found it calming and gave me something to focus on, as well as something to enjoy, while all of this bad things were happening in my life. The addiction continued as my father died when I was 13, there were all of the moves, and so on. It REALLY has been an addiction! Until this post I had never thought about how this all came about. It really puts a new and almost refreshing outlook on this journey to a healthier life. I wasn't always a food addict and I have the power to change that!

Thank you!
  • This really could be a great therapy group for everyone going through this! So here goes...

My name is Manda and I am a food addict.

Looking back it all started when I was a child. My father worked at Meadow Gold and was always bringing ice cream and other frozen sweets home to us from work. I remember my parents fighting a lot and then they divorced. Through all of this I would just eat. I found it calming and gave me something to focus on, as well as something to enjoy, while all of this bad things were happening in my life. The addiction continued as my father died when I was 13, there were all of the moves, and so on. It REALLY has been an addiction! Until this post I had never thought about how this all came about. It really puts a new and almost refreshing outlook on this journey to a healthier life. I wasn't always a food addict and I have the power to change that!

Thank you!

Thank you for sharing that with all of us here. I agree with what you said about this being great group therapy for all of us. I'm sorry you had a tough childhood with your parents' divorce and your Dad passing away at such an early age. Yes, I think all of us were doing the best we could to get through life and try our best to love ourselves sometimes not with the best of methods such as using food for comfort. Food is good as moderation to enjoy life but when used excessively, causing us all sorts of problems.

Food for me to have been a source of excessive reward, comfort, reliance, etc. I too remember family overusing food to communicate. For eg, when we fought, we would not say sorry to the others as much as just buy food to communicate a truce and say, "I'm sorry, I love you." It's a strange relationship with food but I'm well aware of what was happening.

Oh well, we all on this thread as well as on MFP are all learning. One day at a time. The fact that we are all so candid about what we are feeling is good.

I have noticed that over the last week/weeks since I joined this thread. I'm more aware of my feelings when I'm wanting food. I stop myself and ask myself is it the food I want or something else? Am I just thirsty, tired, sleepy, bored, irritable, whatever? And wouldn't something else is better to be done than food to meet my needs. It takes a moment of awareness, and stopping myself to just think. Not easy but the alternative is difficult to just keep binging on food.
  • stacey76
    stacey76 Posts: 66 Member
    Funny you brought this topic up at this time. Just last night at work the girl who sits in the desk next to me made a comment about my eating habits. She said everytime you start stressing out or get fraustrated you go get something to eat. Pretty sad when co-workers notice how much I rely on food.
    Good luck to everyone!
    Stacey
  • I agree that this group has been very therapeutic for me. It has helped me to realize that I'm not alone and I think that is very important in this situation (addiction) more than others. I've realized that when I look to food its because I feel out of control. When I get angry or frustrated I look to eat first. Sometimes when I get sad I look to eat because I don't want to cry (I don't like crying it makes me feel weak), but usually when I get sad I watch movies. I'm not sure why I'd look to food for more control or to gain control over a situation that I've lost control. I'll have to think about that...

All in all this week has been very up and down. I went over my calories yesterday but only by 62 calories. I've been trying to watch my sodium and that's been the hardest thing for me. I finally started using my food scale!!! So that's exciting. Now I just need to find out how much the right portion sizes for me are supposed to weigh?? I'll google it... Anyway, have a great weekend!!!
  • bluenote
    strongandfit - I am going to take your method of asking myself why am I eating before I take the first bite. I've heard this so many times, but hearing it from one of us hits home. :flowerforyou: Thanks.

My first week on here I gained nine pounds. Yes, NINE. And I now know the reason for this - I was starving myself for a few weeks, and, well, we all know THAT eventually caves in and we gain even MORE. So when I started I had already lost 20 lbs. starving, and when I tried to eat normally - BOOM - on went 9. But I kept on keeping on, friends. I just kept on going through this week, one day at a time. It wasn't perfect, and I didn't even care (which is HUGE for me). And I am proud to say I lost three pounds. :happy: And I want to thank everyone for sharing their stories and encouraging me, because I honestly feel this thread kept me keeping on. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • strongandfit - I am going to take your method of asking myself why am I eating before I take the first bite. I've heard this so many times, but hearing it from one of us hits home. :flowerforyou: Thanks.

My first week on here I gained nine pounds. Yes, NINE. And I now know the reason for this - I was starving myself for a few weeks, and, well, we all know THAT eventually caves in and we gain even MORE. So when I started I had already lost 20 lbs. starving, and when I tried to eat normally - BOOM - on went 9. But I kept on keeping on, friends. I just kept on going through this week, one day at a time. It wasn't perfect, and I didn't even care (which is HUGE for me). And I am proud to say I lost three pounds. :happy: And I want to thank everyone for sharing their stories and encouraging me, because I honestly feel this thread kept me keeping on. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Hi Zorahope That's great.Thanks for sharing that. Wishing you and everyone the best. You're very welcome and good luck. Congrats on the 3lbs. !! :happy:

Enjoy your weekend everyone. I'm going to work on getting stronger, and fitter, bit by bit this weekend!!!!
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    I'm probably going to start doing that too. I know I have a tendancy to eat when I'm stressed but I try not to think about it, which is probably counterproductive.

yay zora!
  • This group sounds like the one I need. I am forever trying a new diet and then falling off the wagon. I don't even need a reason to eat although stress doesn't help. I'm 56 and would like to lose at least 75 lbs. I'd be happy losing any amount. I need to get healthy to get my 13 year old grandaughter raised. I have high hopes for this thread. I joined the site a couple of weeks ago, and have tried to get in that 'mental state' to get healthy (if that makes any sense). The past couple of days have been pretty good days - eating healthy that is. I'm going to try to continue. Anyone with any tips would be appreciated.
  • Sunsh1ne
    You're welcome here, whenever you need some support or some time to think "Do I really want to eat this?"
  • bluenote
    This group sounds like the one I need. I am forever trying a new diet and then falling off the wagon. I don't even need a reason to eat although stress doesn't help. I'm 56 and would like to lose at least 75 lbs. I'd be happy losing any amount. I need to get healthy to get my 13 year old grandaughter raised. I have high hopes for this thread. I joined the site a couple of weeks ago, and have tried to get in that 'mental state' to get healthy (if that makes any sense). The past couple of days have been pretty good days - eating healthy that is. I'm going to try to continue. Anyone with any tips would be appreciated.

Welcome skinnyrider! (sounded better than "horse" LOL :laugh: ) I think Sunshine said it best. Before everything we put in our mouth, we should always ask ourselves, "Do I really want to eat this?" and I offer a second mantra: "Is this going to make me healthy?" I started asking myself that a few days ago before everything I put in my mouth and it is amazing how much LESS emotional eating I am doing.

It's never easy, but knowing we have each other really helps. :flowerforyou:
  • Hi Everyone, how's your weekend so far? I'm drinking more water, walking more. Eating. Well, I'm sitting down to eat more. Sometimes I would stand in the kitchen and eat away. Bad habit. I'm more conscious of grocery shopping. Actually, I needed something (non food wise) and thought grocery store might have it. But I already shopped groceries last night stuck to basics. Was very good. So, just now needed the non food item-was I controlled enough to walk in there and not buy any food? Yes, I did!! I could not believe it. I had a cereal bar in the car, Took a bite of it, drank some water b4 I went into the grocery store. Could not find the item I wanted and walked right out without buying any food! Wow! It's the ultimate test. Try it folks. It is possible. We are all stronger than we thought. Go on a night that you do not need any regular groceries-that you already bought groceries for the week and try it. I thought if I could do that, I can be so strong at times I have a craving and I'm not hungry. Best to all.

(Strange I know it's Nov. 21. But it does not feel like it somehow. Anyone else? I know malls, streets all decorated Xmas and all. But to me, it feels like it's Sept or something. Strange. Well, probably b/c no snow yet and so warm for many weeks. Great weatehr for walking.)
  • PattyTheUndefeated
    PattyTheUndefeated Posts: 302 Member
    Hi - My name is Patty, and I'm a food addict.

I eat until I feel like I'm going to be sick, wait until it passes, and then I eat some more. It doesn't matter if I'm full or not, of even what it is I'm eating as long as I can can eat to the point of emotional numbness. I could sit in front of the TV/PC with a unopened package of salami (and I'm talking a whole pound of salami here) and before I know it, the whole thing is gone. I've gone through a whole loaf of sliced bread, a whole box of cookies, a box of pasta all in an afternoon.

Am I stuffing my feelings? You better believe I am. And I'm scared I might go back to those horrid ways.

That's why we're all here.

:-)
  • ucaminax
    ucaminax Posts: 157 Member
    Hi Strongandfit-yes-to me it doesn't seem like Nov 21 either! This year has flown by-the bare trees seem strange. That's great you walked through the grocery store without buying anything! I am totally an impulse grocery store shopper. I spend/waste so much money on food. And really, my grocery store overspending is more about a food shopping addiction/money mismanagement impulse problem than it is about my food addiction. But I am convinced my money impulse problem is tied together with my food addiction, and that they are both symptoms of the same root problem (and I am still trying to figure out what that root problem is!). I get the same rush/guilt feeling from both, go through the same cycles of dieting and thriftiness then binging and overspending, and get the same feelings from both. If anyone out there has an analysis of this I'd love to hear it! :-)

And Welcome Patty. I can totally relate to where you are coming from! And I hope I get as far as you have! You have lost so much weight! As they say with these addictions..."One day at a time!" :-)

Kate
  • Sunsh1ne
    Hi, Patty! We're all here for you when you'd like to talk about your feelings, so you can learn to stop eating them and get the life you deserve back. :smile: ETA WOW! I am floored by how far you've come - you are an inspiration to me!
  • Hi Strongandfit-yes-to me it doesn't seem like Nov 21 either! This year has flown by-the bare trees seem strange. That's great you walked through the grocery store without buying anything! I am totally an impulse grocery store shopper. I spend/waste so much money on food. And really, my grocery store overspending is more about a food shopping addiction/money mismanagement impulse problem than it is about my food addiction. But I am convinced my money impulse problem is tied together with my food addiction, and that they are both symptoms of the same root problem (and I am still trying to figure out what that root problem is!). I get the same rush/guilt feeling from both, go through the same cycles of dieting and thriftiness then binging and overspending, and get the same feelings from both. If anyone out there has an analysis of this I'd love to hear it! :-)

And Welcome Patty. I can totally relate to where you are coming from! And I hope I get as far as you have! You have lost so much weight! As they say with these addictions..."One day at a time!" :-)

Kate

Hi Kate!!! Wow! What a reply. I feel liek that was me writing that. I think you're on to something.That food consumption is very related to money, financial management. I guess it doesn't matter what type of emptiness we're feeling. We're still trying to stuff it by overconsumption ( overspending -whether we're overspending beyond our financial budget or our caloric budget for the day, mth, year). Makes sense. Moderation. Within our financial/caloric means. Life. Funny isn't it. We will never stop learning.

Not did as good today. Felt overwhelming something to put in my mouth. Very stressed out today. Not walking did not help. At least I did not buy one thing to eat while doing errands. Very aware I was food craving something to take the edge off. Even thought of chewing gum. Then, talked myself to even not chewing gum, eating candy by asking myself, what is that I'm feeling? what do I want to ultimately feel right now? answer came was relaxation, peace, serenity amongst inner chaos of stress. So, I took a deep breath and focused on my breathing. One slow breath after another. I can do it right now as I type and so can anyone right now who's reading this sentence. One slow breath I took. I think the eating is related to breath. The motion in our mouths, our breath.

Hope all had a good weekend of managing your eating habits. Enjoy a great week. Coming up. Can't believe end of nov. Where did 2009 go? Feels like someone put us all in a time machine and pressed fast fwd. This has been the fastest year ever!!
  • buddy35
    buddy35 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi I also feel I am addicted to food. Sometimes once I start eating I find it impossible to stop. I am alright until I taste something nice then its doen hill from there. I have often eaten a full packet of biscuits and then continued onto whatever else is there. I have stopped buying them now so the problem is only at work. I have still to conquer this with all of your help I hope to do this. Keep thinking positive tell yourself that you are worth saving and that you deserve to be healty. Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • Hey folks!!!
    This weekend was okay. I didn't really care much what I ate, but somehow I still tried to control how much I ate. I blame all of that on TOM!!! Cramps stink!!!! But I still managed to work out yesterday, so that's good. Have a good day folks!!
  • Not thinking much about food today. Focused on work. Good. Drinking more. best to you all.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!