Lemony Lentil Salad

mcn79
mcn79 Posts: 112 Member
I made this for lunch today with a few tweaks. It is really good! If you are near a Trader Joe's the steamed lentils are the way to go. I also used two packets of salmon vs. the cans. I only used 2.5c of lentils and 12 oz of salmon. This made my calories a bit less.

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/lemony_lentil_salad_with_salmon.html

1/3 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 cup diced seedless cucumber
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
2 15-ounce cans lentils, rinsed, or 3 cups cooked brown or green lentils (see Tip)
2 7-ounce cans salmon , drained and flaked, or 1 1/2 cups flaked cooked salmon

PREPARATION
Whisk lemon juice, dill, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Add bell pepper, cucumber, onion, lentils and salmon; toss to coat.

TIPS & NOTES
Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Tip: To cook lentils: Place in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until just tender, about 20 minutes for green lentils and 30 minutes for brown. Drain and rinse under cold water.

NUTRITION
Per serving: 354 calories; 18 g fat ( 3 g sat , 12 g mono ); 31 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 24 g protein; 9 g fiber; 194 mg sodium; 743 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (80% daily value), Folate (49% dv), Selenium (40% dv), Iron (25% dv), Potassium (21% dv), Calcium (20% dv).

Carbohydrate Servings: 1

Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 2 1/2 fat

Replies

• Thanks for this great, easy, recipe. I made it today and substituted the salmon for 1/2 cup of chia seeds and it was delicious and very nutritious!
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 237 Member
    Bumping this for later. Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing as I'm always looking for ways to use both lentils and salmon. : )
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Thanks for the recipe. AND thank you for the substitution. I am not a big fan of salmon but everything else about this recipe sounded really good. I will try it with the chia seeds.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,849 Member
    That's great! I also recently discovered Trader Joe's steamed lentils and LOVE them!

Even easier and faster - just toss it with some sliced tomatoes (Romas are good), parsley, olive oil and lemon juice and you've got a great salad.

I made some today. I used two packages of the steamed lentils. :)
  • inittothinit42
    inittothinit42 Posts: 64 Member
    Sounds great! Thanks for posting.
  • Altarian
    Altarian Posts: 230 Member
    sounds good. though i think i might have to try tuna instead since i don't like the taste of salmon
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    bump. Love lentils!
  • mcn79
    mcn79 Posts: 112 Member
    sounds good. though i think i might have to try tuna instead since i don't like the taste of salmon

Have you ever had canned salmon? I generally don't like "fresh" but this doesn't taste that different from tuna. That being said, I'm sure tuna would taste great, too. Or chia seeds, for that matter. I was going to buy some yesterday at the store and I found where they belong but they were all out. :(