My Other Addictions….

I am addicted to something other then food. I am a shoe addict. I LOVE shoes! I go shoe shopping and it keeps me away from the house and the temptations of food. I also collect Hot Wheels….ya know those little cars that sell for around a dollar each. Yep those. My husband, son and his wife collect them too. We do it as a family. We have SOOOO much fun with them lol My daughter-in-law collects Babies and other dolls as well.
I also collect all things kitty, stuffed monkeys and miniature toys. You know those little versions of the bigger toys and games. When I go out looking for these things I am not thinking about food.
Trying on shoes can be a work out all by itself. I am a “Black Belt” shoe shopper lol Also all the walking I do shopping and trying to find the other things that I love to collect is good for me too and keeps me from even thinking about food.
When I am at the house I keep my hands and mind busy with my computer graphics and I do a lot of the Sudoku puzzles. I love those puzzles. You never see me with out a book that I am working in. The ones I love the most are the extreme puzzles.
What kinds of things do you do or collect that keeps your hands and mind busy?

Replies

• Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    I am addicted to something other then food. I am a shoe addict. I LOVE shoes! I go shoe shopping and it keeps me away from the house and the temptations of food. I also collect Hot Wheels….ya know those little cars that sell for around a dollar each. Yep those. My husband, son and his wife collect them too. We do it as a family. We have SOOOO much fun with them lol My daughter-in-law collects Babies and other dolls as well.
    I also collect all things kitty, stuffed monkeys and miniature toys. You know those little versions of the bigger toys and games. When I go out looking for these things I am not thinking about food.
    Trying on shoes can be a work out all by itself. I am a “Black Belt” shoe shopper lol Also all the walking I do shopping and trying to find the other things that I love to collect is good for me too and keeps me from even thinking about food.
    When I am at the house I keep my hands and mind busy with my computer graphics and I do a lot of the Sudoku puzzles. I love those puzzles. You never see me with out a book that I am working in. The ones I love the most are the extreme puzzles.
    What kinds of things do you do or collect that keeps your hands and mind busy?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,905 Member
    Loretta_Jo

I just sat down after trying on and then working out (kinda) in my new Reeboks! (Wearing also my p.j.s-there's a visual for you.) I admit, I am poweless over shoes. More specifically, buying them online - because I wear a ten and I can never find the shoes I want in my size. It's exhausting to try to shop at stores for shoes - so "Famous Footwear" is my second favorite website. I've been buying lots of shoes lately because my clothes just don't fit right now, and I'll be hog-tied (yes, I said hog-tied) if I'm buying any clothes unless absolutely necessary until May.

I also have a passion for glass beads. And boxes and boxes of them, too!

Cheryl
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Nice pic Cheryl!!!! :love:

I have no shoe fetish. I have ridiculously small feet (5-1/2) and have the most difficult time finding shoes (worse than trying to find a good bra). So, when I find any good shoes/boots I buy them, but only high quality so that I can wear them for a long time. I usually end up taking my shoes and boots to a cobbler twice to get the most mileage out of them.

I have no real addictions, just lots and lots of hobbies. I can really get absorbed in quilting, gardening, reading, cooking, and just about anything besides shopping - which I hate.
  • cmriverside
    Nice pic Cheryl!!!! :love:

I have no shoe fetish. I have ridiculously small feet (5-1/2) and have the most difficult time finding shoes (worse than trying to find a good bra). So, when I find any good shoes/boots I buy them, but only high quality so that I can wear them for a long time. I usually end up taking my shoes and boots to a cobbler twice to get the most mileage out of them.

JOTW,

I was hoping you'd see Jimmie-Mr.-can't-lose-a-race-Johnson's picture soon. It annoys me that I have to keep seeing it - cute though he is.

I HATE shopping more than you. (Maybe) and it irritates me no end to spend an entire day shopping for a specific shoe. So the online thing is the best thing that ever happened to my shoe collection. Try it by going to your favorite store's website....they let you send it back or take back to the store if you find it doesn't fit. Easy breezy.

~Cheryl
  • Loretta_Jo
    I do the online thing too. I have to order my jeans online because I need tall slim cut jeans. I also shop for and buy shoes and clothes online as well.
    But I really like to get out and go to the stores and shop for shoes and clothes. I spend hours and hours trying on clothes and shoes. It is a work out in itself. :bigsmile:
    Plus I just get out of the house that way too. I am here all the time so I do like to get out and about sometimes.
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    Cheryl - I did see your Jimmy picture. Thanks it was so sweet of you to post him!

Yeah, I found that I have to invest in good shoes -like Borns. Now that I know they work I should definitely try the online shopping.
  • redalee
    redalee Posts: 256 Member
    I love music, :love: :love: :love: singing it, playing it, the djembe, didgereedoo, keyboard, and then just dancing like a crazy woman around the house. When my daughter is home, we turn up the music real loud and both pound on the African drums, it's a lot of fun.

I stay away from the library :ohwell: because I take out too many books and then have to read them all right away - never get anything done - so that must be an addiction!

Also I am addicted to video games so I stay away from those too - I gave away the Nintendo because I was having to be the top score in our family, although sometimes I sneak a game or two on the computer when I get the chance. I tried Wii last Christmas at my brother's house, and thought "Holy cow" "This is fun!"

Shoe shopping sucks because my feet are EE width. Hubby calls them Fred Flintstone. lol
  • Loretta_Jo
    Cheryl ~ I am enjoying the pictures also :smile:

I have artificial joints in both feet so I can’t wear just any and every shoe. But boy o boy do I have a good time looking and shopping for the ones I can. :bigsmile:
    :flowerforyou:
  • Loretta_Jo
    Redalee ~ You have reminded me of our challenge this week for TOPS. We are suppose to play music and dance at least 3 times this week. I haven’t done it yet and I’m the one that wrote the challenge. :tongue: I need to get up off my backside and get to dancing. I only have 3 more days till our next meeting. If I don’t do it I will be putting a quarter in the fine box at roll call Friday morning.
    My son and daughter-in-law play video games all the time….they love those things. I like to play Mahjong on the computer I lose all track of time when I am playing that. :bigsmile:
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    I love music, :love: :love: :love: singing it, playing it, the djembe, didgereedoo, keyboard, and then just dancing like a crazy woman around the house. When my daughter is home, we turn up the music real loud and both pound on the African drums, it's a lot of fun.

I stay away from the library :ohwell: because I take out too many books and then have to read them all right away - never get anything done - so that must be an addiction!

Also I am addicted to video games so I stay away from those too - I gave away the Nintendo because I was having to be the top score in our family, although sometimes I sneak a game or two on the computer when I get the chance. I tried Wii last Christmas at my brother's house, and thought "Holy cow" "This is fun!"

Shoe shopping sucks because my feet are EE width. Hubby calls them Fred Flintstone. lol

redalee my kids love music too. My son loves the didgereedoo. My daughter does anything that has to do with the arts. I myself have to stay away from the books because I can't put them down once I start. Those are strictly for the summer when I am not working. Otherwise I guess my addictions are the computer. Bad I know. I love finding old books too. Specially old recipe and history books. I have tons of house plants and in the summer I propagate them. I have been learning the art of bonsai for a few years from my dad. Other than that my life revolves around my kids at this point. In the summer though I love finding deals.
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Loretta Jo,
    Count me in on the shoes..............Im a compulsive shoe buyer. I've gotten to the point where Im having to photograph my shoes and put the pix on the boxes so I can find what Im looking for ( hence the photo to the left)
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta Jo,
    Count me in on the shoes..............Im a compulsive shoe buyer. I've gotten to the point where Im having to photograph my shoes and put the pix on the boxes so I can find what Im looking for ( hence the photo to the left)

That is what I am going to do. My daughter-in-law loves shoes too. She takes pictures of her shoes and puts them on the box also. My poor son just doesn’t understand women and their shoes lol :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    I do the online thing too. I have to order my jeans online because I need tall slim cut jeans. I also shop for and buy shoes and clothes online as well.
    Plus I just get out of the house that way too. I am here all the time so I do like to get out and about sometimes.

BTW, Loretta - I keep meaning to say how happy I was to hear your knee feels well enough to let you do some exercises! GO - Go!!
    Where do you order long length pants? I have a 34' inseam, it is daggone near impossible to find pants in the store that are long enough - (except mens'- I have no hips). I'm working on the "slim" part -but long enough would make me happy happy!!

cm
  • Loretta_Jo
    The last jeans I got I ordered from JCPenny. There was a western store that I bought Lawman jeans from but they were hit by a tornado and went out of business. I could probably find them online but when it comes to that brand I really need to try them on before I buy. That’s just the way those jeans are. But go to jcp.com and have a look at their jeans. :flowerforyou:
  • redalee
    Loretta Jo - no quarter this week! Get up and dance even if you just sway those hips. Or you could try to do the whistle with your belly button and look like a belly dancer. :laugh:
    Eve - it's cool to see someone with some of the same passions or addictions! I've never heard of anyone else deliberately staying away from books. lol:bigsmile: And your family sounds like a lot of fun!
  • Loretta_Jo
    I came here and saw your post and I got up and did my dance and ya know what….I may get up and dance again in just a minute cause that was fun :bigsmile:
    :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Loretta_Jo
    Dance # 2 and 3 Done! :bigsmile:
    I will do more tomorrow that was fun :bigsmile:
  • not sure if it is self defeating but....i collect recipes, lol
    recently of course they have been recipes that are for healty food, or can be easily addapted to be healthier

i know, i know...i obsess about food, lol:grumble:
    besides most my recipe books come from, and return to used book stores and sales...so you could say im seriously into recycling...ok, so that is a stretch, lol
  • redalee
    Woo hoo, way to go Loretta Jo! :laugh: I know it was last night, but way to go girl!!!

Td Ros e ler, that almost sounds musical if you break it up like that. Could do a rap. Hee hee. I am using an old cook book. A weight watchers book from the 1980's called 365 -day menu cookbook. It really helps to keep me on track, and my husband loves it because he is getting home-cooked meals again. It used to be just throw something in quick! Now I buy ahead, and still the meals usually only take 20 minutes. Old cook books rock!
  • i have to agree with you redalee...
    i love old cook books cause most of them use recipes where you actually cook from scratch...no cheating and using canned cream soup, lol
    Best of all is, i find things that my grandmother used to make when i was a child. not many people cook like that anymore. we get so caught up in the convenience and hurry scurry. we are so bombarded with advertising and promotion, that we loose sight of the simple basics of day to day. Sometimes i wish i live "little house on the prairie" style. Nothing was perfect then, but you only needed to worry about the here and now, and how to get it done so you could survive