Too embarrassed to wear a Swimsuit...

Replies

• Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    I feel horrible about what your family did to you as a kid. I would have been so upset. :(

But yeah, I feel self conscious in most swimsuits, which is why I only wear swimdresses. They cover my thighs and mask my stomach and everything I don't like. It still gets me down when I am swimming with my good looking and thin friends in their bikinis but oh well, I may join them some time. :P
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    I've been overweight since i was about 12, and once my dad as a joke made me get on a scale in front of people we had over at our house, and i got really upset and started crying.. and they just kinda laughed at it.. and now im still very conscious about my weight.
    Your Dad is totally a jerk & is to be blamed entirely here. I'm sorry that you have to experience that humiliation.

I agree with the tankini, I had one before that I wore when I was still obese that is paired with a board shorts. In that way you can still look good & trendy.
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Use that to fuel your motivation and be a goal for next summer.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    You are not alone. But you cannot hide from life. You should try to enjoy yourself!

Tankinis are great but it's hard to find one with tummy control. This year I switched to a one piece so I could get a slender suit. I've actually gotten compliments on it! Fits very well and lots of coverage.

This is the suit: http://m.landsend.com/mt/www.landsend.com/pp/womens-tonal-ombre-tunic-one-piece-slender-suit~231575_-1.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::VA1&CM_MERCH=search-_-Ombre&origin=search
  • imaheal
    imaheal Posts: 63 Member
    I never looked good in a swimsuit. But I am over 60 now and sure don't now. Who cares?? I saw where you have lost a good bit already. In no time you'll be happy with yourself. Just keep up the good work!
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    I, too, had always been too embarrassed to wear a swimsuit. I say just do it. My body is far from perfect, but so is pretty much everyone else's.

Do you weight train, by any chance? Lifting weights has made me feel SO MUCH better about my body. I am still overweight but I am crazy about my legs. And my arms don't look too shabby these days, either. I am not going to wait until I'm thin to love my body...exercise and eat right because you love your body, not because you're ashamed of it . I really wish i had believed that when I was younger.
  • beastm34
    beastm34 Posts: 12
    i'm about to be going to a school on the beach... where everyone is a tiny bikini wearer. I have a problem with bikinis for modesty purposes but on top of that... even if i didn't, i wouldn't wear them because my size. A lot of the covering/modest bathing suits are hideous haha but I have found some vintage ADORABLE! swimsuits at modcloth.com that are legit cute. some cover everything, the ones i like are high waisted bottoms (cute not like granny panny looking at all) and tops that cover you enough to leave a small space of skin showing from like right above your belly button to right under your boob. it's legitimately adorable though though it may not sound like it! so boom! it covers the bad stuff and is cute. look it up! http://www.modcloth.com/shop/twopiece-swimwear/hollywood-hills-swimsuit-top
    i want this one!
  • ichellebereel
    ichellebereel Posts: 55 Member
    Dear, I felt the same way at on time. I'm not sure of your size but I can bet you I'm double maybe triple your size but I can bet you that I'm wearing my switsuit. I learned to love ME and I don't care what another person opinion is about me. When I'm on a cruise with all those size 0's there, you would think I was a size 0 in the way I flaunt around. I got cottage cheese thighs but I'm don't care, We only live once, I will not miss any opportunities that comes my way. Go get you a suit suit and as someone already suggested put some short or swim skirt over it. You will be fine.
  • vsecret921
    vsecret921 Posts: 100 Member
    I am very sorry that you were treated like that when you were younger!

I have the same issue but what I think is if they are my true friends they don't care what I look like (in a negative way). Also, if they really did they wouldn't invite you to go swimming!

After the first time your anxiety will go down I promise!

good luck :)
  • Jodibear58
    Jodibear58 Posts: 280 Member
    I hate buying a swimsuit....But, I love to swim, so it is a must....I am a lot heavier than you. Good luck!!
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    The idea of wearing a bikini or swimsuit is enough to give me nightmares.

It's something I REALLY wanna do eventually though, but for now, I avoid it like the plague.

perfectly said!!!
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Dear, I felt the same way at on time. I'm not sure of your size but I can bet you I'm double maybe triple your size but I can bet you that I'm wearing my switsuit. I learned to love ME and I don't care what another person opinion is about me. When I'm on a cruise with all those size 0's there, you would think I was a size 0 in the way I flaunt around. I got cottage cheese thighs but I'm don't care, We only live once, I will not miss any opportunities that comes my way. Go get you a suit suit and as someone already suggested put some short or swim skirt over it. You will be fine.

looove this!!
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    i wont wear a swim suit or shorts. Last year I would walk/run 5 miles a day during the summer. When it got cold, I got lazy. Gained 20 lbs. I had muscular legs, and tho my legs were never my best feature, i was proud of them and all my hard work. Now I just have cellulite legs. I hate them. I hope that they will look better now that I am exercising again,tho Im not up to 5 miles a day.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Join the club :(
    I haven't been to the beach or pool or lake in so many years, I can't even remember... its been at least 17... bc that's how old my oldest son is...
    I just can't do it. I've attempted it before... and I always wear a sundress over my suit...and never go in the water. I turn down countless invites to pool parties, beach with friends etc... and it sucks. I don't feel like I've "lived" in forever. Not to mention I feel like it ruins my kids lives... My daughter always asks why we never go to the beach, and I'm too embarrassed to even say "I'm too fat to go" .. plus I'm scared I'll make her self conscience in life by saying that to her (not that she is fat at ALL, but her seeing me hate my body might make her hate hers too)
    That is why I am here. I want to do the things other people do too. Hopefully I will get there... but sometimes I even wonder if I will feel comfortable even thinner.... I guess we will see.
    What your dad did to you was HORRIBLE!
    But I agree with previous posters, your friends invite you because they care about you being there, not what you look like...
    Good Luck!!!
  • anhepler
    anhepler Posts: 4
    i totally feel you on this one, once i was trying on a bikini to decide if i wanted to keep it or not, then when my family asked why i didnt want to keep it i said because i was over weight, and my step dad told me if i wasn't so lazy that i wouldnt be over weight. I was so mad at him for it and i started to cry. this was over 2 years ago, but recently when i told my mom and step dad (whom i dont live with) that i wanted to diet and they both laughed at me and told me i couldnt. Well it's summer and i am DETERMINED to get into a bikini this year and be happy with my body, which is why i'm here. And i wanted to tell you that no matter what other people say you do what YOU feel is right <3
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member

I love this too :) I wish I had that mentality!!! :)
  • wgn4166
    I feel ya. I've never owned a bathing suit in my life. I wish I could not care, and just "have fun" and not worry about what people think. But, I can't. You could always buy a one piece, and get some cute swim shorts (like the hawaiian print) and put them over it, that way you still can sort of look like you're ready to swim! :)
    I cant wear the suits with skirts cause they still show my legs. I think I am going to invent a swim suit that has leggings :)
  • kaymarie78
    kaymarie78 Posts: 104
    I'm 285 and rock my swimsuit! I wear a tankini and for some reason, that's one thing I've never felt all that self conscious in. Weird right? If other people don't like it then they can just shove off. I won't let other people ruin my fun. And I bet your friends won't even think twice about what you look like in a swimsuit. But if a tank top and shorts is what you're most comfortable in then so be it...or whatever it is you want to wear! Try not to let the thought of being embarrassed put a damper on your good time!
  • par57
    par57 Posts: 74
    I understand. I won't even wear shorts. I will wear a t-shirt swimming and just tell everyone that I am very sensitive to the sun.
  • wgn4166
    This is sad, but the only time my husband see me in shorts is when Im getting ready to work out :(