Everything I wish someone had told me 100 pounds ago...

Replies

• tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Thanks for posting this! You've done an amazing job. Keep it up!! :)
  • Meloyelo2010
    Meloyelo2010 Posts: 171 Member
    Thanks for sharing!
  • dogdaze
    dogdaze Posts: 110 Member
    Thank you for posting this! I felt inspired just reading it. Congratularions on your journey so far.

I hope you won't mind if I share your suggestions and thoughts with our weight loss group at work. Your suggestions are so practical and most of our speakers and motivators are nutritionists (or fitness fanatics/instructors) who tend to be bone thin and thus lack streed cred with those with high BMIs who are starting out on the road back to health. To hear this from someone who has been there and done that counts for a lot!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Thank you for posting this! I felt inspired just reading it. Congratularions on your journey so far.

I hope you won't mind if I share your suggestions and thoughts with our weight loss group at work. Your suggestions are so practical and most of our speakers and motivators are nutritionists (or fitness fanatics/instructors) who tend to be bone thin and thus lack streed cred with those with high BMIs who are starting out on the road back to health. To hear this from someone who has been there and done that counts for a lot!

If quoting me, helps others, Please pay it forward.
  • chica23GK
    chica23GK Posts: 100 Member
    congrats on your success & thanks for the tips - simple truth in a sea of overwhelming blabber :)
  • poofycat
    poofycat Posts: 28 Member
    Very good, basic info. Thanks!
  • gaia3rd
    gaia3rd Posts: 151
    Congratulations! And thanks so much for sharing. I'm going to print out your list and share it with my weight-loss-at work group.
  • This post is awesome! Thanks so much for your advice! In reference to # 2, do you eat back your exercise calories? For instance, in the example you used of burning 400 calories, would you eat 400 back? I am finding it very hard to eat all of my exercise calories back to meet my MFP net calorie goal. I usually will burn 600-900 in one session according to my HRM. Do you recommend eating even when you're full if you have calories 'left' to eat for the day??
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    These are great. Thanks!

What is a potato wheel? It sounds delicious. ;)
  • jeffrodgers1
    This post is awesome! Thanks so much for your advice! In reference to # 2, do you eat back your exercise calories? For instance, in the example you used of burning 400 calories, would you eat 400 back? I am finding it very hard to eat all of my exercise calories back to meet my MFP net calorie goal. I usually will burn 600-900 in one session according to my HRM. Do you recommend eating even when you're full if you have calories 'left' to eat for the day??

It depends on the circumstances.

Typically I try to maintain small deficit but close to what MFP recommends.
  • jeffrodgers1
    These are great. Thanks!

What is a potato wheel? It sounds delicious. ;)

It's evil and intended for the baked potato. Typically a potato wheel is a round serving dish containing sour cream, cheese, bacon, and chives.
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
    Thanks for sharing your advice. I've picked up on some basics but it's always nice to have new insights. Also I 100% agree w/ logging everything. I don't care if I'm on my 16th glass of water - I'm logging it.
  • ChelleDJM
    ChelleDJM Posts: 161
    Thank you so much for taking the time to write all of this for us. I do many of your, "rules," but I need to work on #8 - putting the fork down. I don't know that it will help me eat less, because I weight things out before they go on the plate and I don't refill. But it would allow the meal to go slower. I feel like I make everything and, "WOOOOSHHH!!!" it's gone like it's an eating competition or something. It's good to learn to take things slow and enjoy food instead of shoving it all in as fast as possible like I have always done.

I'm in a little but of a rut right now, so I am going to print your list and tack it up where I can see it every day just to keep me in check.
  • DianneBoo
    DianneBoo Posts: 226 Member
    These are great! Thank you so much for sharing!
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Thanks for posting. I hope you don't mind that I copied and pasted this to my blog so that I can refer to it from time to time. I have just started my journey and have a long way to go but unlike times past I believe I am going to do it this time around.
  • mitchipooo
    mitchipooo Posts: 85 Member
    We all need a reminder of these things, should be read once a week to help motivate us. Thanks for sharing.
  • ruthmiriam
    ruthmiriam Posts: 28 Member
    Thank you for posting your sensible tips! There's so much confusing information on here, it seems like I lose sight of common sense sometimes.

My husband and I switched to using salad plates for dinner, and we fill half of the plate with whatever the veggies are, and then use the other half for the starch and protein. It's been working very well to help us get enough veggies, and control portion sizes. Also, I just try to burn about 500 calories a day in some kind of exercise, which is similar to your tip #4.
  • Kooraloo
    Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
    Thank you for sharing your advice! Definitely bookmarking this page for future reference :)
  • BeckaT79
    BeckaT79 Posts: 216
    Very Motivational!! Thanks for sharing :smile:
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Excellent, common sense approach. Balanced.... I like this. No "don't cardio or you will get fat"; "eat at least 5000 calories per day or you will get fat" or even meal timing schemes here... Just simple day to day common sense. So rare these days. Nice post.