Protein shake without sucralose or stevia?

The title says it all. I'm having a hard time meeting my protein goals and would like to supplement with a shake that doesn't contain sucralose (Splenda) or stevia.

I went to The Vitamin Shoppe and the woman there was useless. From doing some online research it looks like Optimum Nutrition has a "natural" line that doesn't contain these ingredients but I'd like some other recommendations as well. Comments on taste/texture would also be very welcome.

I've tried Isagenix and while it tasted pretty good I'd rather buy something locally than have to use mail order.

Thanks for you help!

Replies

• SurfinBird1981
    SurfinBird1981 Posts: 517 Member
    If you find out please let me know too :laugh: I have the same issue.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    I'd also like to know! I'm using MRM right now because I specifically try to avoid sucralose. It does have stevia though, so that doesn't help you.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    The title says it all. I'm having a hard time meeting my protein goals and would like to supplement with a shake that doesn't contain sucralose (Splenda) or stevia.

I went to The Vitamin Shoppe and the woman there was useless. From doing some online research it looks like Optimum Nutrition has a "natural" line that doesn't contain these ingredients but I'd like some other recommendations as well. Comments on taste/texture would also be very welcome.

I've tried Isagenix and while it tasted pretty good I'd rather buy something locally than have to use mail order.

Thanks for you help!

The store Sprouts has plain ol whey protein you can buy by the lb. Granted its just plain whey you can fix it up any way you like.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    ..opps double post
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Vitamin Cottage (locations at the link below) carries its own line of unsweetened New Zealand whey powder that has, like the label says, no sweeteners. I find it goes great in fruit smoothies, as the fruit has plenty of sweetness already.

http://www.naturalgrocers.com/store-info/store-locations
  • tungsten93
    tungsten93 Posts: 76 Member
    Thanks. I'll check these out and maybe try GNC and another Vitamin Shoppe location. I just hate that everything's loaded with sucralose and stevia these days. I've thrown so many protein shakes and powders away because they're too sweet and artificial tasting.

Thanks again. :smile:
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    I use the ON 100% Whey Gold Standard Natural Whey Vanilla (with the goldish label rather than the red) doesn't have sucralose or other artificial sweeteners. It does have natural sweeteners but not stevia . I searched for a while to find something without sucralose, because I sometimes have very nasty reactions to splenda. I didn't have luck finding much else.

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread for other ideas to add variety.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    i can see why you don't want splenda, but why not stevia?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    My suggestion is to just do hemp protein powders or whey powders and make your own shake. Many "protein shakes" are designed for people trying to bulk up.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    I blend brown rice powder, PB2 and either soy or almond milk.
  • tungsten93
    I use the ON 100% Whey Gold Standard Natural Whey Vanilla (with the goldish label rather than the red) doesn't have sucralose or other artificial sweeteners. It does have natural sweeteners but not stevia . I searched for a while to find something without sucralose, because I sometimes have very nasty reactions to splenda. I didn't have luck finding much else.

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread for other ideas to add variety.

This is the one I was considering. ON seems to be a popular brand here and it's easy to find. I wish it came in more flavors but I'll be happy to find just one good tasting protein powder and vanilla is pretty versatile!
  • tungsten93
    i can see why you don't want splenda, but why not stevia?

I just don't like the odd taste and it's not something I'd want to ingest on a regular basis anyway. I have a few protein bars with stevia and I just can't bring myself to eat them.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    ON is a good company. They actually manufacture their own product instead of rely on a 3rd party to manufacture it for them (Shakeology and Body by Vi come to mind).

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • inkandsheep
    inkandsheep Posts: 101 Member
    Try a raw hemp or pea protein powder. You can have them just with water or milk, or mix into a homemade smoothie. I use frozen banana and berries to sweeten my smoothies.
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Hi there,

Google Solgar, that's the one I was using! I've just swapped onto MyProtein and it's so much sweeter, but half the cost *sigh*!!!!

Thanks for you help!
  • tungsten93
    I'm going to look into all of these suggestions. I just don't understand why companies feel the need to load their products with stevia. I just tried to eat a protein bar with stevia (one of the ones I mentioned I was avoiding in my earlier post) and it was so sickeningly sweet and artificial tasting I had to throw it out.

Back when I used to go to Bally's they sold a great tasting protein powder but sadly I no longer have a Bally's near me and it probably wasn't high-quality protein anyway.

So frustrating. I can only eat so much chicken and yogurt.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    I completely understand where you're coming from. I too dislike the taste of stevia. I searched for proteins without sucralose because of the reactions I was having from it, the worst of which was the rashes.

I use these.....

Optimum Nutrition - Gold Standard 100% Natural Whey Protein - Chocolate (I picked it up at the local grocery store, but you can find it at GNC, or on line)

Now Sports - Whey Protein Isolate - Natural Unflavored (purchased on Amazon)

And for protein bars I found these at Sam's Club, Walmart & Whole foods
    Cliff builders bars
    Think Thin bars
  • jbenfo
    jbenfo Posts: 8 Member
    I also avoid both of these sweeteners, and have been using Life's Basics unsweetened plant protein (vanilla). I do buy it online though, so I'm not sure about local availability. We blend it with bananas or other fruit to add a bit of sweetness.
  • KANSASGIRL69
    KANSASGIRL69 Posts: 28 Member
    isonatural, garden of life raw protein, bobs red mill whey protein
  • juliejones9846
    juliejones9846 Posts: 2 Member
    I avoid sucralose and stevia as well... I cannot stand the 3 hours of stevia aftertaste, even though it starts out as natural - who knows what happens when they process it!

Anyway, I purchase custom formulas from truenutrition.com and am currently opting for no sweetener at all. You can select any type of protein (whey, pea, egg white, milk, etc) in increments of 5 percent points. You choose your carbs (choice of whole food carbs, simple or complex), and select the flavor system including no sugar, stevia, sucralose). The nutrition panel is generated as you select your formula. You can opt for additives such as vitamins/minerals and other nutrients.

To get you started, they have a number of standard formulations (I start with one of their meal replacement formulas, but you may have other goals in mind) that you can tweak to your hearts content. For example, I switch the soy protein in favor of milk protein... but you do what you want. Just be sure to read the product descriptions so that you don't select something that has a funky flavor or texture.

The last caveat is that prices are VERY fair compared with what you can pay at retail. I like the fact that I can eliminate unknown fillers and junk. But you do pay for shipping which can add a dollar or two to the price. I always order over $50 at a time so that I can get a discount on UPS shipping. I'm very happy with this company and would recommend them to anyone.