Is there any research on "eat more, lose more"?

Options
2»

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Yeah, all I'm after is some research that has a graph that for a (say) 5% increase in intake, you've got a 7% increase in metabolism.
    http://bwsimulator.niddk.nih.gov/ encompasses a lot of research, I plugged in a 500 calorie intake increase after 20 days and it predicted a 73 calorie metabolism increase.A second 500 calorie increase 80 days later did the same. BMI increased from 21 to 29 over a year.
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Like I said - it's not that linear. It can't be or no matter how much we ate we would all remain the same weight.

You eat more - your body may adapt and use more calories, but not as many as you are taking on extra. Hence you gain fat.

Similarly, when you under-eat, it will adapt but the idea being that it won't adapt lower than your current intake. Hence fat loss.

If you go too low, it will be harder to return to a normal level of consumption once you reach your goals.

Also - over-eating has different effects to under-eating.

When you under-eat, your body is forced to adapt as it physically isn't receiving the energy it requires.

When you over-eat, well your body is just fine with that. It will use what it needs and happily store the rest as fat ready for the next lean spell.

I do agree with you there is a limit of too much calories and to little calories, but this is directly related to fat loss. As you said if you over eat your body stores energy, but your body won't slow down so much it stops losing "weight". For example if a person eats 50 calories a day, will their metabolic rate slow down to the point they no longer lose weight? No, they will lose amino acids from critical organs which will lead to death. Weight loss didn't stop.

Yes, but as to what my point is, when you come to eating a normal amount again, your body will be functioning on a reduced metabolic rate, which means that what WAS a normal amount, is now drastically over that rate and you will gain weight more readily.

There is more to declined metabolic rate than just T3, possible loss of muscle mass is also a factor. If you have less muscle mass and go back to a normal intake, yes you'd gain weight. Keep in mind the title of the topic "is there any research to eat more weigh less?" keywords "eat more to weigh less" I simply said it isn't true, but we're going outside the topic.

But it can be true.

It isn't universally true, but there are circumstances where a person can be eating too little to lose weight.
  • almostatgoalweight
    almostatgoalweight Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    It isn't universally true, but there are circumstances where a person can be eating too little to lose weight.

Are there any research articles on this?
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The over-thinking that goes on in these boards just amazes me.

OP - go back and read dhakiyya's excellent post.

For me, I'm sticking to my TDEE - 20% (and eating back most exercise calories if I'm hungry) because I want to live a sustainable, healthy, and happy life. I could cut my diet down to 1200 calories a day for a while, but it's not sustainable long term and I would be miserable the whole time, so what's the point?

The weight is coming off slowly, but it's coming off and I feel better, stronger, and healthier than I have in my entire life.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    there is a lot out there on this - it makes sense- you eat more food ( veggies and fruits and complex carbs) with lower calories throughout the day keeps your metabolism burning all day, your blood sugars level so no burnout feelings plus the added benefit of keeping your intestinal tract moving well and clean....no bulking heavy meats rotting and holding things up. This also helps prevent colon/rectal cancer. But I love love love a good steak or chicken or pork lol
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    The over-thinking that goes on in these boards just amazes me.

OP - go back and read dhakiyya's excellent post.

For me, I'm sticking to my TDEE - 20% (and eating back most exercise calories if I'm hungry) because I want to live a sustainable, healthy, and happy life. I could cut my diet down to 1200 calories a day for a while, but it's not sustainable long term and I would be miserable the whole time, so what's the point?

The weight is coming off slowly, but it's coming off and I feel better, stronger, and healthier than I have in my entire life.

I have read and heard on Dr Oz that mixing up your calorie intake each week can actually help you lose weight faster since you are messing with your bodies expectations ...alot like muscle confusion.....so like 1200, 1200, 1600,1200, 1200, 1600, 1500 calories during the week as an example
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    since you are messing with your bodies expectations
    But how do I plan this without my body finding out and anticipating it ?

Mumbo jumbo. LOL.
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    There are some people here on MFP who believe that you need to eat more food to lose at a faster rate. I want to keep an open mind on this idea, so are there any research articles that show this effect? If you know of any, please post a link here. Thanks.

I joined the eat more to weigh less group when I was gaining and losing the same couple of pounds. I am steadily decreasing now that I upped my calories. You will hear a lot of different opinions on here and you need to choose what works for you. If you decide to try it make sure you stick with it for at least a month. I find it is easier to get through the day eating more. I have more energy. I don't get the "hanger" (hungry anger).

The only research you need is to try it yourself if you are interested. If you are not interested, then don't do it. What works for me may not work for you.

stephvaile has a great post explaining among other EM2WL supporters replying