Ruptured Disc

Cowboy
Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
Hi guys,
Well it seems like I'm at a standstill for a little while. I have ruptured a disc in my back and cannot do any of my regular exercise....much less ride my beloved horses. 2008 isn't starting out to be my year! You all hang in there. I am still going to work on keeping my calories as low as I can but don't thinki'll be winning any Memorial Day or other challenes Grrrrrr.
Cowboy

Replies

• Cowboy
    Hi guys,
    Well it seems like I'm at a standstill for a little while. I have ruptured a disc in my back and cannot do any of my regular exercise....much less ride my beloved horses. 2008 isn't starting out to be my year! You all hang in there. I am still going to work on keeping my calories as low as I can but don't thinki'll be winning any Memorial Day or other challenes Grrrrrr.
    Cowboy
  • kittybellenir
    kittybellenir Posts: 128 Member
    Sorry to hear that! I hope you get better soon:flowerforyou:
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Oh! That is so painful, sorry to hear that. Just mind your doctors orders and like you said stay eating healthy, and hope your better soon.:flowerforyou:
  • jpwarner
    jpwarner Posts: 194 Member
    Sorry to hear, I know how much pain it can be. Just remember, you can do exercise even flat on your back. Just moving your arms up and down is burning calories.
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Cowboy -- I have been there. Doctor said my two ruptured discs were the worst he had ever seen, and I had a microdiscectomy two years ago. I've never felt pain like I did when they ruptured.

Today I feel stronger than ever, and just got finished lugging a camera across Antarctica, so I am living proof that you can get back to where you were.

Don't give up hope, and don't give up exercise. I did whatever I could but there were months when I couldn't do anything more than lie on my back and move my arms in the air. Eventually I was walking again (I had extreme complications during the surgery that left me immobile and terrified), then swimming for almost a year, and now finally back to doing what I love. I thank God every day that I got through it.

I might even be filming a show on cowboys, which means I'll be on horseback for three months.

For me, the mental part of it was the toughest, so don't ever, ever give up. One step at a time -- this is your only body so be good to it.
  • Cowboy
    thank you all...and wandering light could you spend some time on horseback for me? I miss that so much.
    Cowboy
  • wanderinglight
    I have a feeling that I am going to be wishing that I could sub-contract out some of that time on horseback!! It's been a long time since I've ridden...I'm sore just thinking about it.

Here's hoping you are back in the saddle soon.

- Monica
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Howdy Cowboy,
    I am so sorry!!! Today is a start of a new day. A day when things are going to go your way!!:drinker: :heart: :flowerforyou: You take care of yourself:heart:
    Friendship
    Renee
  • Cowboy
    Hey Everyone,
    I just got back from the hospital. Back surgery went really well. Doc thinks I can be back riding in about 6-8 weeks...so things are looking a bit better. Right now they don't FEEL too much better, but only because of the surgery pain....not the killer radiating stuff up to the shoulder and down to the knee. They showed me the MRI and it looked like someone had exploded the disk...no wonder it hurt:sad:
    It was really eerie when the doc tried the reflext under my right knee and absolutely nothing happened. (Nerve damage that would have become permanent without the surgery)
    Thanks for all of your prayers and well wishes. Now that I've gained back about half the weight I've lost...:explode:
    Well, I've got you all to help me back anyway and that's a real blessing to me. Hey ICandoit! Awesome picture! You too Kjrose! You guys are gonna knock 'em dead this summer! Have a good Wednesday everyone!
    Cowboy
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Howdy Cowboy.
    Hope you are feeling better. Keep up your spirits and hang in there. Like I said, 2008 will get better!!!
    Nice seeing you here on the board.
    Take care and tell Donna, "Hi" for me.
    Friendship and hugs,
    Renee
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Bless your heart Cowboy! Happy to hear that the surgery went well and that the recovery time looks good as well...take good care of yourself...heal well and keep your spirits up! My Mother always told me, "Pull yourself up by your bootstraps"
  • Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    Aww man that sucks! I'm sorry. We're thinking about you :flowerforyou:
  • wanderinglight
    CONGRATULATIONS on getting through the surgery.

Don't forget to log roll!!!!

I had the same issue re: nerve damage after my surgery.

Hang in there, feel free to e me if you have any questions.
  • Cowboy
    You all are awesome. Boy I feel like I've been gone forever. It's so good to read all your posts again.
    Cowboy