<~~~~ Wine lover!

13»

Replies

• ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    For the first 6 months on MFP, I had a glass of wine every single night. Didn't hinder a thing!
  • SueMizZou
    SueMizZou Posts: 146 Member
    I love wine. I drink white in the summer and red in the winter. It is my alcoholic beverage of choice. That said, I don't drink it every night. I limit myself to a glass or two once a week. Works for me
  • epicurequeen
    epicurequeen Posts: 1 Member
    yes i too enjoy the red way to much to give up. i also allow the calories for it as life is not life without it for me anyway!
  • brach786
    brach786 Posts: 13 Member
    I LOVE my wine too!!!! I drink mostly on the weekend and it hasnt hurt my losses at all
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    I will have on average 1-2 glasses per night. If its a particularly good Syrah, or Meritage.....3.
  • AmberElena
    AmberElena Posts: 16 Member
    Unfortunately I myself am a wine lover to the FULLEST! Every Saturday I have a bottle of Pinot Grigio or Pinot Noir. & sometime's I don't just drink the small bottle, I buy a big one when friends come over. So I hit the gym hard in the AM, about 1 1/2 then I eat lightly ALL day, drink LOTS of water & I don't eat anything ever after 7pm. My friends come over, then we have our wine. :) I don't think enjoying a glass or two or a bottle once a week is a bad thing. You diet & exercise all the time so enjoy your wine!
  • AmberElena
    AmberElena Posts: 16 Member
    I just have a glass or two and deal with the consequences. I don't know what else to do. LOL.

LOL!! Agreed!!
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Have you tried the Skinny Girl wines. They aren't too bad and are only 100 calories per a serving.

I usually just add some sprite zero to my wine. Allows me to have a 'bigger' glass. :drinker:

Skinny Girl is not real wine. And adding sprite? That's blasphemous to wine drinkers!

What is skinny wine? I saw it in the store the other but just seemed like a gimmicky label. A couple weeks ago I drank one 5-oz glass of sangria for dinner every night, yes I measured, and because I put it in my diary before I started my day I was able to work around it and still stayed on track with my weight loss.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Before MFP, I was on Weight Watchers... and lost 75 pounds. They changed the plan to much, I struggled to keep losing... moved to MFP, back to Happy World.... On MFP, I have lost another 6 and counting. I have a single glass (4-5 ounces) of really good red wine 3-4 times a week. Skip the cheap "okay" wine....

I forgo dessert or lighten dinner to counteract the calories... but yes! I have my wine AND still lose weight. :happy:

Bob Harper even says to drink some red wine! :love:

Almost my exact story. Did WW for 16 months, lost 90 pounds, hit goal. Maintained for a while, but then gained 15-20 back. Started working the WW plan again, but it had changed so much it didn't work for me anymore. changed to MFP. when I work the MFP plan, I lose. I have 12 more to go to get back to goal.
  • annbanan85
    annbanan85 Posts: 17 Member
    Don't really be fooled by skinny wine - it is not saving you that many calories. It is 100 calories for 5oz -- most "regular" wines are 120 calories for 5oz -- and for cheap wine lovers such as myself, I can't justify the $15-18/bottle for a "skinny" wine which only saves me 20 calories a glass. For that, I will just run an extra 5 minutes and enjoy my regular wine!
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    I enjoy my malbec -- however, to stretch it, I split it into two and "stretch" it with club soda. I have two wines for the calories of one--not quite the same, but I can live with it.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Moscato Wine is My FAVORITE!!

you said it! Marco Negri :drinker:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    I love wine! I'm content to keep it to a glass or two on the weekends:drinker:
  • crazy_indeed
    crazy_indeed Posts: 138 Member
    Hey..maybe you guys can help me. I went to a bbq that had a raspberry wine...it was soooo good. The person who had it told me the brand (which sorry I cant remember what that brand it was now). I couldnt find that brand at all so I am in need of another. Anyways, I am looking for a sweet raspberry wine...know of any???

Hortons its a Virginia wine has an amazing rasberry.
  • losermomof3
    losermomof3 Posts: 386 Member
    Hey..maybe you guys can help me. I went to a bbq that had a raspberry wine...it was soooo good. The person who had it told me the brand (which sorry I cant remember what that brand it was now). I couldnt find that brand at all so I am in need of another. Anyways, I am looking for a sweet raspberry wine...know of any???

Hortons its a Virginia wine has an amazing rasberry.

Thank you...I will look for it this weekend.
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Don't really be fooled by skinny wine - it is not saving you that many calories. It is 100 calories for 5oz -- most "regular" wines are 120 calories for 5oz -- and for cheap wine lovers such as myself, I can't justify the $15-18/bottle for a "skinny" wine which only saves me 20 calories a glass. For that, I will just run an extra 5 minutes and enjoy my regular wine!

Not only that, but most "skinny" alcoholic beverages - be they skinny wine, light beer or light rums, etc - are a lower alcohol content. So, if you look at the calories on a basis of the amount of alcohol consumed, the lights don't do much for you. From my quick research, I've found that Skinny Girl wines have a 12% ABV. The wine(s) I regularly drink range from 14% to 17.5%. I'll take the 20 extra calories to get the higher alcohol content, tyvm. Not to mention the much better tasting wine.

Light cocktails otoh - such as a light margarita - are often the same alcoholic content; they simply substitute no-sugar mixers or use only fresh lime juice instead of a sugar filled mixer.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member

why would you want to curb your taste for wine?? wine is delicious, and it's good for you. but like everything else, in moderation. a glass of red wine has good things like antioxidants. here are the 8 benefits of red wine: http://www.dumblittleman.com/2008/01/8-straight-benefits-of-red-wine.html

but if a glass, turns into two, turns into a bottle, well, we have an entirely different problem. i used to joke that i didn't see the point of wine bottle stoppers: you open a bottle, you finish a bottle!! but now at a nightly setting, i pour a glass of wine, and i put the cork back on the bottle and stick it back in the fridge. unless it's steak or pasta night. then i have two glasses.

I totally could have written every aspect of this post. What is it about steak and pasta that makes us want more wine???
  • blleadon
    blleadon Posts: 187 Member
    A nice Cote's Du Rhone with grilled lamb,

Thats the wine in a glass and the lamb on a plate!

:drinker:

Actually, I tried a cotes du Rhone a week ago.... I was so in love! In fact I'm going looking for a bottle this evening.
  • blleadon
    blleadon Posts: 187 Member
    Ok, so I know the body wants to metabolize alcohol before anything else, thus, temporarily stopping the metabolizing of fats and carbs, but that doesn't stop me from wanting...ok...craving the red! I love a good rich red wine. Not the sweet stuff lol, but the bold. For those of you who feel the same, how do you curb your taste for wine lol. For the record, I'm no alcoholic, but I do know that my nightly wine does not help with weight loss. Have any of you had the same "issue" with wine?

why would you want to curb your taste for wine?? wine is delicious, and it's good for you. but like everything else, in moderation. a glass of red wine has good things like antioxidants. here are the 8 benefits of red wine: http://www.dumblittleman.com/2008/01/8-straight-benefits-of-red-wine.html

but if a glass, turns into two, turns into a bottle, well, we have an entirely different problem. i used to joke that i didn't see the point of wine bottle stoppers: you open a bottle, you finish a bottle!! but now at a nightly setting, i pour a glass of wine, and i put the cork back on the bottle and stick it back in the fridge. unless it's steak or pasta night. then i have two glasses.

Truth be told, I guess I wasn't trying to curb it, but merely justify my wine drinking lol. I think its bc when I just Google it, it appears to be in excess of calories but on MFP, the deficit is already built in. Yay wine!