ZUMBA ??

iluvsparkles
iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
Has anyone tried Zumba?
My gym is offering it free for members, and i thought i might start going, if i can see some results! Anyone know anything about it?

Replies

• iluvsparkles
    Has anyone tried Zumba?
    My gym is offering it free for members, and i thought i might start going, if i can see some results! Anyone know anything about it?
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    I Zumba and I love it! It burns roughly 600-800 calories (for 1.5 hours)......I do it during the fall/winter.....You should give it a try!!

zen
  • iluvsparkles
    im a little anxious about going. Im not very shy until it comes to exercise. Im not very coordinated and i feel funny doing stuff in front of people. My whole life ive stuck to things i know how to do already, like swimming and hiking. Exercise Anxiety, what a strange feeling!!
  • truedecember
    truedecember Posts: 151 Member
    Hey, I take a Zumba class and I highly recommend it! First of all, it's tons of fun, and a great workout that you hardly realize you are getting because of how fun it is!!! And I promise that you don't have to feel awkward at all. People of all sizes and abilities come to the class I take and everyone loves it! I was nervous to go the first time too because I didn't want to look stupid, but after about 30 seconds I was having a great time!
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    I've never done it but it sounds like a great time...I don't think I could do it because I can't dance to save my life.:bigsmile:
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    im a little anxious about going. Im not very shy until it comes to exercise. Im not very coordinated and i feel funny doing stuff in front of people. My whole life ive stuck to things i know how to do already, like swimming and hiking. Exercise Anxiety, what a strange feeling!!
    You said your gym is offering it free to members, which leads me to believe one of two things either it is a new class they are introducing or it's an old class with out many participants, either way everyone is going to be "new" to the class so everyone will be on the same playing field(ackward). You should try it maybe 3-6 times. No one will even be looking at yo, they'll be paying attention to themselves to make sure they aren't going to trip you:wink:
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    I have tried it a few times. If you are anxious about trying something new, then Zumba is probably a really good choice for you. The steps are pretty repetitive for each song. So once you get into the right rythym then you are all set! It is fun and it is definitely a good work out!

I'm like you with the "exercise anxiety". I just joined a new gym last month (which is scary enough on its own) then I talked myself into taking a Cardio Latin Dance Class (which was also scary) and the biggest test of all was that I actually used the pool! (Bathing suit, in public... yeah, terrifying!) The good news is that now that I have tried all those things, and had a lot of fun doing them, now I have lots of potential workouts to keep things interesting. Take a chance. If you hate it, then you can try another class. If you don't, then you found a great new way to exercise!

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    I can't dance to save my life

That is the buty of it you don't need to know how to dance....trust me! :happy:

zen
  • iluvsparkles
    im so frustrated right now i could cry.
    one of my coworkers had no regard for anyone else, and made it where i am staying late today..so no Zumba :( ill have to do something else and wait til the wed. class
  • nickip
    nickip Posts: 11
    What is zumba? I've never heard of it. What gym are you guys going to that has this?
  • BigCityKittyz
    BigCityKittyz Posts: 378
    LOL! My gym offers it too....at 6:30 AM!!!! I can't dance either...nor can I wake up to bootie shake at that hour either. I'm still dreaming of pizza at that time!:yawn:
  • GravyGurl
    GravyGurl Posts: 1,070
    OK I had never heard of this before... so I googled it... yes if no one has figured it out by now I am a googleholic :blushing:

Anywho.... it lead me to youtube....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf0q6qtThF4

It looks fun!!!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Yes, you should try it, at least once and then decide. I love it!!!! In the class that I go to there are people from in their late teens to in their 70's. There is a lady that I think she is over 80 yrs old!!!! If she can do it you can do it!!!! Whenever you feel lost, if you do, just tap in place or just do your own things, who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is your workout!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • iluvsparkles
    Thanks alf! Ive been especially unmotivated this morning, but i have been planning all week to go to this class..so im going! I will log on tonite and let y'all know what i think of it. AND once my HRM comes in the mail i can tell you about how many calories a 166lb person burns doing an hour of Zumba!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Did you try the class???? I burn close to 500 cals when I take it. My sister is a Zumba instructor in SC, I live in TX. She said that people burn 600-800 cals doing this workout. Of course it depends on the choreography and how much each person exerts herself. No matter how many calories you burn you are moving and it is so much fun!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: