Belly Dancing

I know there are many of you out there who love it and endorse it as much a possible- I have convinced two of my girlfriends to sign up for a ten week course with me! I am nervous though- I am not heaps coordinated with dance moves, and have never really danced before (aside from ill-fated jazz lessons when I was ten!)

So I guess I am asking if you need to be coordinated to do this type of dance, and is it hard to pick up? I just don't want to be really embarrassed in front of a whole class! :)

Thanks!

Replies

• barefootbabe
    barefootbabe Posts: 271 Member
    I know there are many of you out there who love it and endorse it as much a possible- I have convinced two of my girlfriends to sign up for a ten week course with me! I am nervous though- I am not heaps coordinated with dance moves, and have never really danced before (aside from ill-fated jazz lessons when I was ten!)

So I guess I am asking if you need to be coordinated to do this type of dance, and is it hard to pick up? I just don't want to be really embarrassed in front of a whole class! :)

Thanks!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    It all depends on you. . .everyone is different.

In my experience (as a non-dancer/dancer) some moves will probably come very easily, and then other moves will make you wonder "how in the heck am I supposed to do THAT?" In my experience, especially in beginner classes, there is an atmosphere that is very "safe" feeling. I was never really embarrassed.

You'll find that a sense of humor and patience with your body will do wonders. You'll be dancing before you know it!:flowerforyou:
  • Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. A couple of years ago some of my girls and I tried it. They were way less coordinated than me and they could still do most of the moves. The important thing is that you're moving and having fun with friends!
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    for a beginner class, you won't use much 'coordination', but it will be a challenge. when i started, my instructor would tell me to drop my pelvis... wha?!?! after one hour, i got the dropping and tucking movement. its definitely a challenge, but totally worh it. like viviakay said, your body will move in ways you didn't think possible. hooray for you for being brave and trying something new. good luck:flowerforyou:
  • sweetnsassyfied
    sweetnsassyfied Posts: 110 Member
    How do you log belly dancing on MFP? Do you use general dancing?

Started a beginning DVD myself a couple of weeks ago. :wink:
  • sweetnsassyfied
    BUMP :heart:
  • barefootbabe
    Now that I'm into to may classes (and loving them, by the way!) I have a new question for all you long timers- how do you log your belly dancing? Under ballroom dancing?

Keep in mind I'm a beginner so we don't go too fast yet . . . My classes are an hour long and I do end up pretty thirsty and even a little sweaty (oops, I mean "glowing"!) by the end . . .
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    For the record, I wore my HRM to my class last Sunday, and in an hour and a half, I burned 250 calories. It's not calorie blasting, but I've been going to this ab class at my gym for months and I'm never sore from it. Every time I laughed or sneezed on Monday, I felt that bellydance class.

I would log it as "dancing general" and not log the warm up/cool down time from your class.

:flowerforyou:
  • barefootbabe
    Thanks Viv! I can always count on you . . . :flowerforyou:
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Erin, I am so excited for you and your friends!

Bellydance is such a natural way for a womans body to move...it is a beautiful artform....your instructor should break it all down for you...also, if you are able, it is a good idea to take lessons from more than one instructor so that you may develop your own style versus becoming a mirror of your instructor.

There may be a Middle Eastern Dance Association in your area...there are many benefits to becoming a member...you'll be up to date on all of the shows, events and workshops, and they often offer discounts.

I also log mine as dancing general.

Shimmy On!
  • sweetnsassyfied
    Thanks for asking the logging question Erin!!

I've asked that question a few times and never got a response. Now I know! :flowerforyou: