Stop eating so much sugar

Replies

• dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    It's also very worth getting your blood glucose level checked in both a fasting and non-fasting condition even if you are not diabetic. The macros within MFP are very much an estimate.

I had mine checked yesterday, along with a cholesterol check and blood pressure....standard parts of a physical. Test was done at 2pm....breakfast at about 8:30am I had a sausage patty, fried egg & cheddar cheese on english muffin sandwich & a 16oz drip coffee (14oz coffee, 2oz fat free milk, 3 sugar packets). Mid morning (roughly 10am) I got a 16oz vanilla latte (sugar syrup, fat free milk) and for lunch at about 12:30pm I had a bowl of penne pasta (roughly 2 cups of cooked pasta + sauce). My blood glucose was well within the normal fasting range even though it was a non-fasting condition test.

the point of my post, learn how sugar reacts within your own body so you can learn what you need to do to moderate your own diet. Do not make absurd posts about how everyone else should be running their lives, they have to figure that out for themselves.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    X8Ufi.gif
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Well, I think "sugar is killing up all" is a little extreme....

That being said, I know I do struggle to keep my added sugar intake to a reasonable rate. I've done a great job cutting back on it, but it's still not quite where I want it to be. I also try to avoid added sweeteners as much as possible. I would rather eat natural sugar as opposed to processed chemicals.

I will say though, if one more person says you shouldn't eat fruit because of the sugar, I might punch someone.
  • XjuliaXannX
    XjuliaXannX Posts: 67 Member
    you're not the boss of me

^_^
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    I will say though, if one more person says you shouldn't eat fruit because of the sugar, I might punch someone.

You shouldn't eat fruit because it's full of that tasty sugar and what not!
    :wink: :bigsmile:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    LmfTFhrQbUWxL7aWTgJIAg2.gif
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    In essence I agree with your rant. A few tweaks and it may have been a rant I would have said. Sugar is addictive and sweeteners are worse.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    OMG! stop telling people what to do

It's totally sexist of me, but I expected this to be OP'd by an apparently teenaged girl. I apologize for that.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    As for the fruit question:
    Fruits are okay, but too much is still too much. Fructose is harder to process and is more likely to go to your fat cells. Choose veggies over fruit when you can. Your body knows what to do with Glucose better.

Simple sugars are hard for your body to break down? YOU MEAN MY BIO DEGREE LIED TO ME!?
  • Smithslivingclean
    Smithslivingclean Posts: 9 Member
    You go girl!!!
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    I see way too many people complain about not losing weight in the forums

Sugar is killing us all
    It sneak into everyone's diet (I am no exception)

However, I've noticed many user diary's have at least two or more portions of sweets* everyday
    Sweets are a weekly cheat not a daily one.

Get over your chocolate addictions, give up the processed junk , COMMIT TO YOURSELF "CHEATS ARE ONCE A WEEK" and you will see weight come flying off.

Don't drink anything but water.

Cheats are for mental balance so you don't go crazy, If you need some everyday you're as bad as an alcoholic, the difference is you just won't necessarily be douche with everyone... you'll be huge or on your way to being huge instead. (For the Ecto's Skinny fat is not better)

*By sweets I mean anything sweet. No forgiving sweeteners... They're not better for you than sugar... none of them are so don't be fooled. Most are actually worst for you. One such example is Splenda it's sugar treated with arsenic. Look any sweetener up and you will find problems with them all. Even Stevia has is drawbacks, like lack of proper studies on it. The food industry is testing these products on us not releasing studied products for us.

This post may seem negative but it really isn't I really want everyone to do well, I just get frustrated the food industry has us all wondering what good and what's bad. When really we all have a pretty good idea what's good for us.

Hope you liked the rant...

I like the core message.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNs5VPFPhhAKEaBbod8ln8Ne7XbLicF78IP5QQrXos8rN-mAz2
  • BrandyGThomas
    BrandyGThomas Posts: 5 Member
    Like many other who have replied, I eat sweets every day. I have lost weight by keeping within my calorie deficit, not by cutting out certain foods. I don't even have to work out to lose as long as I don't go over my calories for the day. I'm now to the point where I don't need to lose anymore...just maintain and tone. I DO work out because I love food (sweets, especially) so I can eat more by eating back those calories I burned. I also want my heart to be healthy and to build up a bit of muscle tone, so I work out. However, I will continue to eat sweets no matter who says it's "bad". If I can lose weight and stay healthy, no matter what I eat, who's to say certain things are bad, anyway? Moderation is the key.
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    I eat loads of sugar daily and it hasn't prevented me dropping fat. It's just a carb*.

*unless you're diabetic
    Not to worry with enough carbs / sugar Type 2 diabetes is what you have to look forward to. As well as insulin shots, cuts that won’t heal, going blind and if you are lucky you will get a electric wheel chair when they amputate your legs.
    :laugh:
    Who pissed in your corn...wait, they have sugar in them, so obviously you didn't have any this morning.
    crop-L.jpg

My friends father above recently passed away from Type 2. He could not stand in the last family photos they had taken because his legs had been amputated. I can think of at least 6 people who I know or who are part of my family who have it. It is completely controllable and reversible (look up Dr T. Colin Campbell, Dr Caldwell B. Esselstyn Jr and Dr.John A. McDougall) by diet but people refuse to open their eye. If you want long term health IT IS about WHAT you eat not just how much you eat.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    I eat loads of sugar daily and it hasn't prevented me dropping fat. It's just a carb*.

*unless you're diabetic
    Not to worry with enough carbs / sugar Type 2 diabetes is what you have to look forward to. As well as insulin shots, cuts that won’t heal, going blind and if you are lucky you will get a electric wheel chair when they amputate your legs.
    :laugh:
    Who pissed in your corn...wait, they have sugar in them, so obviously you didn't have any this morning.
    crop-L.jpg

My friends father above recently passed away from Type 2. He could not stand in the last family photos they had taken because his legs had been amputated. I can think of at least 6 people who I know or who are part of my family who have it. It is completely controllable and reversible (look up Dr T. Colin Campbell, Dr Caldwell B. Esselstyn Jr and Dr.John A. McDougall) by diet but people refuse to open their eye. If you want long term health IT IS about WHAT you eat not just how much you eat.

This is BS fear mongering! Not everyone who eats some sugar ends up with diabetes. In fact those who exercise with intensity have very good blood sugar levels. Get off the soap box.
  • KALMdown
    KALMdown Posts: 211 Member
    This damn banana I'm eating just put me over my sugar limit for the day. BAN BANANAS!!!!!
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    I have sweets every day and had no trouble losing weight.

Ditto.

Speak for yourself friend.
  • g4genn
    g4genn Posts: 58 Member
    Ok so it may be a little extreme to eliminate sugar everyday but if you look at the overall North America population, we are a pretty fat bunch. Since the mid 50's, drink cups have gone from a large at 8oz to 24oz and more.

I agree refined sugar is evil because it feeds the yeast bacteria in your gut, causes bloating, increases the acidity level in your system and causes spikes and lows in your blood sugar. that being said, I don't mind indulging in a square or two (about 1 oz) of dark chocolate or eating my fruit.

I do try to not eat only fruit during the day by having a 40/60 split. 4-5 fruits ad 7-8 veggies.

Refined sugar is evil and I try to avoid it as much as possible. I won't make my life really unpleasant to get there. I can't live that life forever and I'm trying to make forever changes.

And stevia isn't a normal sweetener if you make it at home. You can grow the plant, brew it as a tea and use it in your food. All it does is confuse your brain by stimulating the taste buds. It isn't a chloride at all.

I like the rant and it would b a great psychological study to see why people reacted so strongly to it. Guilt? Fear? Submission?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Ok so it may be a little extreme to eliminate sugar everyday but if you look at the overall North America population, we are a pretty fat bunch. Since the mid 50's, drink cups have gone from a large at 8oz to 24oz and more.

I agree refined sugar is evil because it feeds the yeast bacteria in your gut, causes bloating, increases the acidity level in your system and causes spikes and lows in your blood sugar. that being said, I don't mind indulging in a square or two (about 1 oz) of dark chocolate or eating my fruit.

I do try to not eat only fruit during the day by having a 40/60 split. 4-5 fruits ad 7-8 veggies.

Refined sugar is evil and I try to avoid it as much as possible. I won't make my life really unpleasant to get there. I can't live that life forever and I'm trying to make forever changes.

And stevia isn't a normal sweetener if you make it at home. You can grow the plant, brew it as a tea and use it in your food. All it does is confuse your brain by stimulating the taste buds. It isn't a chloride at all.

I like the rant and it would b a great psychological study to see why people reacted so strongly to it. Guilt? Fear? Submission?

We responded strongly because the OP, as well as you, made several false statements. Yeast is a fungus and does not occur naturally in the body. What you described is the reaction one might have if they have a gluten allergy. And although you didn't say it, it drives me bonkers when people make the assumption that eating sugar leads to diabetes. You must be genetically predisposed to develop diabetes. With that being said, if you have an allergy to gluten or have a genetic predisposition to diabetes, then you absolutely be mindful of your sugar intake. But if you are otherwise, a healthy person and the occasional indulgence helps you stay on track with your diet, then it doesn't have to interfere with your weight loss as the OP proclaimed.
  • meowchii
    meowchii Posts: 47 Member
    I am always over sugar : / I have been cutting up on sweets a little... but my main problem is fruit! I am only supposed to get 26 grams of sugar a day and I do not know how to get 3-4 servings of fruit without going over. I try to eat berries which are low in sugar and I've been eating tons of watermelon. It is so hard!!!