How small is too small?

Replies

• almostatgoalweight
    almostatgoalweight Posts: 234 Member
    The way I see it is that you're probably the thinnest 2-3% of your age, and people just aren't used to that. It's like someone who is the richest 2-3% and wants to make more money. People say "don't earn anymore, you're already rich". Having looked at your photos, you could stay at the fat percentage you are, or you could lose a little bit more.

Honestly, you're hot, embrace it!
  • susiebear29
    susiebear29 Posts: 266
    I think you look AMAZING!! but it's not about what others think it's your body and the most important thing is how you feel!! Im 5ft 5 and 112lbs but I am not happy I still have a little tummy fat and love handles but flat chest and very skinny arms!! I can't change my shape (until I get my boobs done next year hopefully!!) so I am trying to concentrate on building muscle, toning up and eating as healthy as I can....don't let anyone make you feel bad for looking after yourself and your body it's your life not theirs!! :smile:
  • inkandsheep
    inkandsheep Posts: 101 Member
    I think you look great too!

But looking at your diary you seem to eat very little - for someone who works out so much, eating under 1200 calories seems very low. Could you incorporate more healthy whole foods (fresh veg and fruit, beans, nuts, seeds, brown rice, quinoa, etc.) to your diet to make sure you're getting everything your body needs? I would also swap the iceberg lettuce to a dark leafy green like kale or spinach, with some healthy fats like avocado with it!
  • darkphoenix89
    darkphoenix89 Posts: 9 Member
    I think you look pretty great from your photo and as long as you've got a healthy BMI it's fine.
    I've learnt from experience to just ignore what other people think, there'll always be someone with something negative to say.
    I lost a lot of weight because of medications and dropped down to 121 but at 6ft I know I was underweight, got a lot of comments then understandably but now that I'm back up to 168 I'm still getting negative comments telling me I'm too skinny and I'm stupid for wanting to lose weight. I only want to get back to 160 so I'd still be a very healthy weight for my height but you really can't please everyone.
  • nevertoolate2
    nevertoolate2 Posts: 309 Member
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18770328

Use this to give yourself a bit of perspective although I warn this is largely tongue in cheek.
  • misslou7
    misslou7 Posts: 42 Member
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18770328

Use this to give yourself a bit of perspective although I warn this is largely tongue in cheek.

This just makes me think I should move to Tonga..
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    I found a chart online -- for females, 5'3'' ideal weights are as follows -- small frame 111-124lbs, medium frame 121-135lbs, large frame 131-147lbs

Sounds like you're on the low end of the spectrum, and personally, I think 117 is a bit small for your height. Why don't you stick to just maintaining? It sounds like you have a distorted body image - which could easily lead to an ED.

Congrats on going from 160-117 - but just don't get too caught up in losing. at some point you have to switch to maintaining and just living a healthy life.... losing is not an ongoing thing forever.

link to the chart I pulled that info from -- http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm
  • londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 192 Member
    I have kind of a weird complex that I always look the same to myself... in my mind, I think other people in that size are small, but for myself, I think I'm the exception)

Forget about weight, height, BMI etc. THIS phrase is the red flag, and you know yourself that you are starting to have an issue with food. The same thing happened to me last year. I got addicted to the control of losing weight and lost perspective. Like you, I denied to others that I was still trying to lose when I really was.

Get help and break out of this cycle before it is too late.
    Talk to your friends or family about your mixed feelings.
    Set your MFP to maintanence for a few weeks while you reassess where you are and how far you've come.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member

But looking at your diary you seem to eat very little - for someone who works out so much, eating under 1200 calories seems very low. Could you incorporate more healthy whole foods (fresh veg and fruit, beans, nuts, seeds, brown rice, quinoa, etc.) to your diet to make sure you're getting everything your body needs? I would also swap the iceberg lettuce to a dark leafy green like kale or spinach, with some healthy fats like avocado with it!

^^^This is great advice. Your diary shows you need to eat more. I would refocus your efforts at maintaining your current weight and adding muscle which will reduce your body fat %. Please start eating enough to fuel yourself.
  • Check out http://www.mybodygallery.com/

You can enter your height and weight and see pictures of real women your height and size, see if they are too skinny? This site usually helps me keep my perspective

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm 5ft 2 and weigh 120lbs but I have a flabby body consitency. I reckon I could probably drop to 110 without getting 'too small'
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Sometimes friends and family are NOT the best support for those striving toward peak fitness.
    You're 5'3", and according to the BMI weight range, the lowest healthy weight for you would be around 112 lbs:
    Also, optimal body fat for a lady is around 20%, so use that as a standard as well.
    And forget anybody's opinion. Definitive standards of bodyfat and BMI are universal. See below....
    bmi-chart.jpg
    body-fat-chart-female-7-to-18.gif
  • I'm exactly the same way. I'm 5ft and on my best day 115lb. People, especially my family say the same kinds of things to me and I feel the same way you do. I want to keep doing what I'm doing because I feel better than I ever have. I started at 170, so to be where I'm at now is huge to me. Congrats on your weight loss, it's a huge accomplishment! :)
  • futuremalestripper
    futuremalestripper Posts: 467 Member
    Too small is when you get those anorexic arms like on dr. phil that are boney and the size of twigs. If you build some muscle and maintain that muscle while eating enough to feel healthy and alert, then I think you're good.
  • almostatgoalweight
    almostatgoalweight Posts: 234 Member
    This brings an important issue - when is your weight too low? When 10% of people on a weight loss forum say it is? Or when you start to notice issues such as lack of energy? Keep track of how your body feels, and try to avoid negatively - here and elsewhere.
  • Bobby_Clerici

^^^^^
    THIS
    You MUST fuel your body to reach optimal health.
    Follow the MFP recommendations for healthy and lasting results.
    This is how MFP works
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work
    And Tips for Newbies
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies
    Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.

You have many people here ready to lend support, answer qustions and discuss any challenges.
    You can do this.

All Is Possible!
  • jumatwins
    jumatwins Posts: 74
    HI,

I'm also 5'3" and I'm at 119 lbs now. Started at 132 lbs. I was wondering the same questions as you, because i'm also starting to hear from my family things like: You are not going to lose anymore are you? My goal now is really to tone up, and lose a bit of body fat %. Trying to get rid of some belly fat that just won't go away !!! LOL !
    I think that if we listen to our body and having healthy habits (exercise, healthy foods, sleep, etc.) then that is what's important.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    I think a problem a lot of people who are/have been overweight is body image. We get used to seeing ourselves a certain way and even when we lose the weight it's hard to adjust what we see in our mind's eye. Other people constantly voicing opinions doesn't help either. We hate our image so much that it's difficult to change that. All I can say is that it takes time. Maybe start by looking at your body and finding one part that you like. Ask yourself why you like it, what's good about it. Then once you're comfortable with that pick another one. Once you're able to love your body and be happy with it you'll know what too small is. And like others have said, listen to it. If you start feeling tired or sluggish then maybe you're overworking it or under fueling. Nobody knows your body and what it needs better than you do. Hope this helps :-)
  • londoneye

^^^^^
    THIS
    This is how MFP works
    And Tips for Newbies
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.

You have many people here ready to lend support, answer qustions and discuss any challenges.
    You can do this.

All Is Possible!

Rather than just copying and pasting the same advice in various forum threads, why don't you read what the OP has said? She doesnt need to lose weight, rather she is on the border of disordered eating and body image. Your post is totally unhelpful!
  • Bobby_Clerici

^^^^^
    THIS
    This is how MFP works
    And Tips for Newbies
    NO MORE!

You can do this.

All Is Possible!

Rather than just copying and pasting the same advice in various forum threads, why don't you read what the OP has said? She doesnt need to lose weight, rather she is on the border of disordered eating and body image. Your post is totally unhelpful!
    NOPE!
    I get great feedback and friend requests from interested lurkers who are here for information.
    NOT YOU and certainly not a herd of sniveling head cases on the road to failure.
    See drop down menu....my username...IGNORE USER!
    Problem solved....
    And MFP is NOT a support community for those suffering ED anyway.
    I address those here for the right reasons, and again, this is validated by the PM's asking for real support as well friend requests.

One reason people do not post in these forums is through fear of being devoured by the estrogen echo chamber.
    This is NOT the Oprah Winfrey show.
    Sorry....I will continue to post what I want.
    Ignore me :flowerforyou:
  • londoneye
    One reason people do not post in these forums is through fear of being devoured by the estrogen echo chamber.

Oh! So you have some sort of misogyny/fear of women issues going on? Understood!
    Ignore me :flowerforyou:

Will do!