Carbs or Fat? Do I give up one for the other?

patr
patr Posts: 19
edited November 2023 in Food and Nutrition
What to do, what to do it's all confusing to me.

Not being fortunate enough to have a nutritionist, the web being all over the place leaves me totally confused.
What's the balance on a 1200 calorie diet?

Replies

• patr
    What to do, what to do it's all confusing to me.

Not being fortunate enough to have a nutritionist, the web being all over the place leaves me totally confused.
    What's the balance on a 1200 calorie diet?
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    I am not sure what the proper amount is. However I have set mine at 35 carbs, 35 protein, and 30 fat. I have been loosely following the fiber diet so my numbers are often off. However this guide says 25 % protein, 25% Fat, and 50 % complex carbs. That is 6-8 servings of fruits, vegies, beans, and 2 or 3 servings of a whole grain at 1/2 cup per serving. I have a hard time meeting those marks.

I am sure there are others that would have a better idea what a healthful mixture. I will be interested in what others say.

Eve
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    What are you asking? which one is worse?

This site's wizard for caloric consumption is pretty
    close to most of the other ones I have seen around.
    If you follow it you won't be too far off. You need
    a certain amount of fat, and you probably won't be able
    to completeley avoid carbs, nor do you need to, as long
    as you don't go crazy with either, you should be ok.
  • patr
    Thanks bank1850! I didn't pose that question very well. lol
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Go here it should help explain it for you.

http://www.mypyramid.gov/

:flowerforyou:
  • nopogal
    nopogal Posts: 162
    Depends on what you're doing for exercise. Protein is essential if you are doing any kind of strength training. Since I do personal training along with cardio, I do the 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat. Unless you always eat chicken breast or other really lowfat proteins, you'll need a little extra fat to get all that protein. I've noticed a huge change since I've been trying to follow that method. I also stay full longer with more protein.

It may take some time to figure out how to get the balance right, but hang in there...hopefully it'll pay off!
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    My Doc said 20% Prot. I said I was shooting for 25% because of weight training and she figured that was fine. I keep fat at 20% and the rest to carbs.

I used this page as the basis for my percentages

http://www.mckinley.uiuc.edu/Handouts/macronutrients.htm
  • Razboo
    Egads, I checked out the http://www.mypyramid.gov/ site and it estimated my caloric requirements at 2400/day to "gradually move to a healthy weight"; 2600 to maintain. I think I'd be gaining.
  • Loretta_Jo
    By all means do listen to your doctor. The pyramid is good to help someone understand how to eat a well balanced diet. The combinations of foods they should be eating. Not cutting out something for something else. It helps with the combinations of foods. As for the amounts of each food that varies from person to person and should always listen to their doctor first. But the pyramid is a good tool for someone that doesn’t know and wants to learn about a well balanced diet. :flowerforyou:
  • Razboo
    As patr says, the web is all over the place. :tongue: One thing I do like about the Pyrmid site is how it recomends foods to eat. One has to take a sort of holistic approach to web information, taking the best and/or most applicable from each source.
  • Loretta_Jo
    As patr says, the web is all over the place. :tongue: One thing I do like about the Pyrmid site is how it recomends foods to eat. One has to take a sort of holistic approach to web information, taking the best and/or most applicable from each source.

I agree with you 100% :flowerforyou:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Egads, I checked out the http://www.mypyramid.gov/ site and it estimated my caloric requirements at 2400/day to "gradually move to a healthy weight"; 2600 to maintain. I think I'd be gaining.

dunno, that doesn't sound that far fetched, depending on how much exercising you are doing and what kind of job you have.

I weigh about 210 and my maintain weight right now is about 2490 calories and my goal calories is about 2000 without exercise
  • Razboo
    Well. I'm only comparing to what MFP calculated, which is 1500 and change for a 2lb loss per week. The "Maintain" amounts are pretty close, but I guess when they say gradual weight loss, they mean *gradual*. :smile:
This discussion has been closed.