Fed up of calories!!! HELP.

I'm so frustrated with trying to calculate just how many calories I should be consuming in order to lose weight but stay fit and healthy & provide my body with all the vitamins and nutrients I need to at the same time.

MFP tells me 1200 a day, other calorie calculators online tell me 1400, using my BMR and the Harris benedict equation or other equations I'm given between 1400-1600..

What is the right answer?!

As soon as I know just where to start & how many calories is right for me, I can do it and I know I can. But it's finding that starting ground that I'm really struggling with. Can you all please share some light on this for me, and give advice and support as to how many calories you all think I should eat. And how many calories do you all eat, what are your stats and how have your losses been by using this calorie number?

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised

Try this. It helped me understand what I needed to do and how to implement the plan. It is very confusing on this site. You get so many differing opinions about what you should do. This seems a very healthy approach to weight loss. Hope it helps you too.
  • bpmartyr
    bpmartyr Posts: 141
    Important to get enough energy and nutrients. Too low of calories will actually hinder healthy weight loss and energy levels. I recommend erring on the higher side and gauging results by the mirror/clothing fit and scale over a couple weeks. If you are not getting the desired results decrease cals slightly or increase activity. Healthy lifestyle change is a long term thing or marathon vs. a sprint. :)
  • inspektorf
    inspektorf Posts: 2 Member
    Important to get enough energy and nutrients. Too low of calories will actually hinder healthy weight loss and energy levels. I recommend erring on the higher side and gauging results by the mirror/clothing fit and scale over a couple weeks. If you are not getting the desired results decrease cals slightly or increase activity. Healthy lifestyle change is a long term thing or marathon vs. a sprint. :)

I agree with this. I think 1200 calories is way too low and just upped mine by 350 calories. I read a formula recently that said to multiply your current weight by 15 to get the total calories needed to maintain your current weight. Then deduct 500 calories from that to lose 1 pound per week.
  • lozzieemay
    lozzieemay Posts: 89
    Thanks everyone! I just looked at the link given and based on my TDEE-20% I should be consuming 1860 calories a day based on my light activity level. Let's hope this works! :)
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Good luck, let us know how you get on
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    The good news is there is no magic calorie number you have to hit to lose weight. Pick anything in that range and try it and if you don't like your rate of loss, pick a lower number. Or if you find it too restrictive, pick a higher number.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    I read a formula recently that said to multiply your current weight by 15 to get the total calories needed to maintain your current weight. Then deduct 500 calories from that to lose 1 pound per week.

According to that formula I should net 3070 calories per day.
    (238 x 15 = 3570.....minus 500)

I'm currently doing 1680 and losing 1.5 - 2 lbs per week
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    I read a formula recently that said to multiply your current weight by 15 to get the total calories needed to maintain your current weight. Then deduct 500 calories from that to lose 1 pound per week.

According to that formula I should net 3070 calories per day.
    (238 x 15 = 3570.....minus 500)

I'm currently doing 1680 and losing 1.5 - 2 lbs per week

I think I've read that formula but with "multiply by 12" (not 15)? Using 15 would have me at a number I would gain at.

There is also one that says to just eat your weight x 10 to lose, I think?
  • rwwerner
    rwwerner Posts: 42 Member
    Calories can definately be frustrating. The danger of eating too few calories is definately more that eating more calories. I like the idea of 1800 calories. I have been eating 2000 calories daily for about 8 months. I have lost 79 lbs by eating "real" food and avoiding processed foods. I use the 80/20 rule which is eating real food 80% of the time and enjoying a beer, coffee creamer, salad dressing, and a hamburger bun once in a while to keep mine and everyone else around me sane. I also took up walking/hiking 4 to 5 days per week for about an hour or so. I have come to the conclusion based on my experience and opinion that when eating real food and not processed food calories really don't really matter much. It is difficult to stuff 1800 -2000 calories of real food in your mouth every day but for me I feel better, get better nutrients, and don't have to worry about eating back exercise calories. If you eat that 1800 cals. of real food daily, your body is getting everything it needs. Good luck to you!!
  • 78Octane
    78Octane Posts: 68
    [/quote]

There is also one that says to just eat your weight x 10 to lose, I think?
    [/quote]

Yes, I have seen this too. I think this way is somewhat accurate as long as you are not severely overweight or severely underweight.