Trying this again?

Well, here I am. Trying this weight loss thing again. I am overweight but "only" 40-50 pounds. I am addicted to food just like others are addicted to drugs. I have no support (no family beyond my husband and children), am in school full time, work full time, and have four children. I love to exercise but am so tired of failing at this weight loss thing that I just haven't done it in a long time. Just wondering what it will finally take for me to be successful at this. I want to do this but don't know how. I love this site and have used it for awhile but never "officially". I have actually put on weight since starting on MFP due to the stress of school. Going to try this again...

Replies

• Hotsweetmom
    Hotsweetmom Posts: 2 Member
    You may find new motivation by reading one of these short books: "Suicide by Sugar" or "Lick the Sugar Habit" both by Nancy Appleton. I think the "Suicide by Sugar" is her latest one. You'd be amazed at what things contain sugar (all processed food by the way) and what it does to you, including making it harder to lose weight.
  • ssbarfarkle
    ssbarfarkle Posts: 150 Member
    Well you've taken the first step. I "officially" started (again) last Monday. I don't know the secret but reading about the successes on here really inspires me. I started Jllian Michaels 30 Day Shred yesterday & joined a group for that. I am planning on making a weekly menu & sticking to that rather than grazing all day. I don't have kids so that probably puts a different spin on meal times for you. You have a lot going on but hopefully you can find some time for yourself. Good luck to you & to me!!
  • Sounds like you could use some support, motivation, a source of information and lots of personal drive!! You have made a fantastic first move by posting your fears / needs here so that we can help you. Make sure you log every little thing you eat and make your diary public. I know it's a little scary, but we don't know you! When you slip up, dont beat yourself up, just get back on track AT YOUR NEXT MEAL! No matter how bad it was, get right back on the wagon!

Friend me and we can help each other! Good luck!
  • sspscott
    sspscott Posts: 66 Member
    "Friends" that how you stick to it. I too dabbled with the MFP for awhile, but then last week I started to add friends. An it has truly changed everything! Great advice, fun people, and little pick-me-ups help you stay on track. Or at least it has for me.And I totally agree with Brooke, make that food journal "public". Welcome back!
  • tstawicki
    tstawicki Posts: 61 Member
    I have lost weight over and over only to get motivated a while and then gave up. This time it is different for me. I like the fact that my diary is public to my friends and it keeps me accountable. I did weight watchers for years but stopped becauses it was not as easy to just eat cuz you had to know points.. Here you can log your food and it figures it all out for you. My biggest recommendation is to plan ahead for yourself because you have so much on your plate that it is easy to be distracted and be lazy for planning to fit in exercise and for you and to also find what to eat.
    You can friend me I am a good motivator.
  • pitlvr2x
    pitlvr2x Posts: 17
    Sounds familiar, learning to get back up and put one foot in front of the other is a good start, being here where you can get support also helps.
  • lorgrayson
    lorgrayson Posts: 54 Member
    Welcome! Everyday is a new day! Like one of MFP friends said...this is like free weight watchers. You can get so much support!
  • rwwerner
    rwwerner Posts: 42 Member
    Hang in there!! It's amazing what friendship accountability will do for you on this site if you allow people to support you. We are all in this together and need help and encouragement. I have been a yo yo dieter for 20 years and have now finally felt like I have had the accountability and support to make this lifestyle change. I have lost 79 lbs over the last 8 months by eating "real" food and cutting out the processed foods and live by the 80/20 rule so I don't get discouraged. I also walk/hike when I get a chance to. I have done this by eating over 2000 calories daily. I know you can do it and I'll be rooting for you.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    At first when I started I had to plan ahead, do a lot of prep on the weekends, and pretty much eat the same thing most days. now that I have a lot of recipes and past foods in my diary my logging time is minimal (my support of my pals is what kills me, lol) and I can do my prep work for meals much faster. Be patient, log it all (even the bad stuff) drink you water, and hang in there. Build a great MFP family to support you and yes give you a push now and then. It's the group that gets me through when I want to just eat everything, I have to say "hmm, do I want my pals to see that in my diary" nope.
  • ivan1964
    ivan1964 Posts: 435
    Hello and welcome here. You can do anything you put your mind too. I hope you have a great day. Add me if you like.
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    I've also put on weight since starting. Im out of control, andi know it. It's a hard place to be, and feel free to add meifyou need support or someone to listen
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    I originally started on here back in March. I loved logging my food/exercise and being able to track it. But that is all I used it for. I had one friend, my Mom, and that was it. I was completely motivated for about a week or two.
    Got distracted (new relationship) and stopped logging. And eventually started letting myself slide on portion control, less healthy options again. (And of course my Mom was asking "where did you?" lol)
    I came back in late May 1.5 lbs heavier.
    This time I use the message boards for motivation and knowledge and have found some friends to try and help keep each other motivated, supported, and accountable.
    It does help. Please feel free to add me! :happy:
  • Exbt
    Exbt Posts: 2 Member
    Good luck!! I understand. I am going for round 2 myself. I did this for a hild my wife nad I were going ot the gym 5 times a week and I had hit a wall. We had a loss in the family and had quite going to the gym and my weight went up again. I am now trying to cut on some calories. After I get home from work I eat untill I go to bed it is not beacuse I am hungry I just like food so I want to taste it all. This site helps me alot beacuse it will be the no kidding honest sounding board when I eat to much. I love the tracker and the mobile app. I wish you luck. It is a hard raod to travel but this site helps and there is support here as well, :)
  • tazboy
    tazboy Posts: 81 Member
    Welcome back and good luck. I too am starting over once again. It's good have support with someone and there seems to be a lot available here. Add me if you wish :)

Good Luck