Ditch Your Peeler

lilmandy89
lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
The skins of these 5 vegetables and fruits are very nutritious for you

1.Apple

Research from Cornell University has found that the chewy apple peel has up to 87 percent more cancer--fighting phytochemicals than the sweet white flesh inside.

Tip: If a fully dressed apple is hard to swallow, dip your slices in creamy peanut butter to mask the skin's texture and deliver a powerful protein/carb combo.

2.Cucumber

The peel of this super-low-calorie fruit is made of silica, a building block of skin--plumping, wrinkle-preventing collagen. There's no recommended minimum intake for silica, but experts suggest at least five milligrams a day--the amount you'll get in the peel of one cucumber.

Tip: Go organic. Regular cukes usually are treated with a coat of gack--inducing wax to preserve their shelf life, whereas organically grown ones often are left naked.

3.Egg Plant

Strip one of these purple beauties and you're out about 300 milligrams of nasunin, an antioxidant that may prevent brain-cell damage. Worse, you lose 200-plus milli-grams of muscle-cramp--preventing potassium, 13 milligrams of mmunity-building magnesium, and three grams of belly-slimming fiber.

Tip: If it's nestled in low-fat cheese and sauce, you'll never notice that the eggplant in your eggplant Parmesan wasn't peeled--as long as you use it ASAP after you buy it. The skin gets bitter as it ages

4.Kiwi

Chemical compounds in the fuzzy peel have been found to fight off bugs like staph and E. coli.

Tip: Don't want to feel like you're eating a caterpillar? Pulverize your kiwi in a smoothie, cut paper-thin slices and mix them into salad, or bite right into the new gold variety, which has less fur.

5.Oranges

The outer peel contains d-limonene, the mortal enemy of UV rays everywhere. A University of Arizona study found that eating one teaspoon of orange peel per week reduced skin cancer risk by 30 percent.

Tip: Instead of biting into the rind, sprinkle orange zest on salmon or mix it into salsa and salads.

Replies

• lilmandy89
    lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
    The skins of these 5 vegetables and fruits are very nutritious for you

1.Apple

Research from Cornell University has found that the chewy apple peel has up to 87 percent more cancer--fighting phytochemicals than the sweet white flesh inside.

Tip: If a fully dressed apple is hard to swallow, dip your slices in creamy peanut butter to mask the skin's texture and deliver a powerful protein/carb combo.

2.Cucumber

The peel of this super-low-calorie fruit is made of silica, a building block of skin--plumping, wrinkle-preventing collagen. There's no recommended minimum intake for silica, but experts suggest at least five milligrams a day--the amount you'll get in the peel of one cucumber.

Tip: Go organic. Regular cukes usually are treated with a coat of gack--inducing wax to preserve their shelf life, whereas organically grown ones often are left naked.

3.Egg Plant

Strip one of these purple beauties and you're out about 300 milligrams of nasunin, an antioxidant that may prevent brain-cell damage. Worse, you lose 200-plus milli-grams of muscle-cramp--preventing potassium, 13 milligrams of mmunity-building magnesium, and three grams of belly-slimming fiber.

Tip: If it's nestled in low-fat cheese and sauce, you'll never notice that the eggplant in your eggplant Parmesan wasn't peeled--as long as you use it ASAP after you buy it. The skin gets bitter as it ages

4.Kiwi

Chemical compounds in the fuzzy peel have been found to fight off bugs like staph and E. coli.

Tip: Don't want to feel like you're eating a caterpillar? Pulverize your kiwi in a smoothie, cut paper-thin slices and mix them into salad, or bite right into the new gold variety, which has less fur.

5.Oranges

The outer peel contains d-limonene, the mortal enemy of UV rays everywhere. A University of Arizona study found that eating one teaspoon of orange peel per week reduced skin cancer risk by 30 percent.

Tip: Instead of biting into the rind, sprinkle orange zest on salmon or mix it into salsa and salads.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    great post!!!

I love the skins of fruit!

if you can't go organic because its well cha ching! I have a great citrus wash I found in the produce section and it really does wonders....I do try to go as organic as I can and can afford but almost always choose the organic cucs!

also love that zest! lemon zest too!

no the kiwi has me sort of um...hesitant...but I'm sure in a smoothie it tastes fine....:ohwell: maybe!

hugs and thanks!!
    Ali
  • ligytha
    ligytha Posts: 130

2.Cucumber

Your skin is made of collagen (and elastin, and fibroin, etc) which is made of carbon and a few other things. No silica. For crying out loud... basic science, people! We're carbon-based creatures!
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    I am trying to buy organic so that I can enjoy the peel without worrying about pesticides. This is going to sound really weird, but I have been eating really healthy and organic for awhile, and I ate an apple someone gave me that had just been rinsed a little, and I could TASTE the chemicals, big time!

Oh, and I agree with the cucumber comment. The ones at the store have a wax to help preserve them and make them shiny. If you buy at a farmer's market they are really cheap and don't have that coating.

All of these skins will help bump up your fiber!
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    I have lots of recipes that use zest for flavor instead of other flavorings.
    They are wonderful.

Most of my recipes aren't super healthy (Hello! I'm a home ec teacher)....but I have been increasing my healthy recipes and am trying to really enforce that in my teaching to teens.

I have found a cupcake and a few cookie recipes though if anyone is curious.
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    I have found a cupcake and a few cookie recipes though if anyone is curious.

Um...YES PLEASE!!!!! :bigsmile:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    I'll email you some or you can check out bettycrocker.com....
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    2.Cucumber

[/quote]

I love cucumbers but always have to take off the skin because it does not like my digestive track at all! But I didn't know they had a wax coating on them--that might be the problem. I'll have to try organic ones and see.