malitol

theGuest
theGuest Posts: 117 Member
edited November 2023 in Food and Nutrition
ho all!

is anyone familiar with malitol? its in a lot of sugarless candies. and i recently read a warning on the back of a bag off sufar free ju jubes (to my surprise, shock and horror) that i should not exceed 100g daily!!!

i don't know if it was the knowledge that i had exceeded the amount or the actual "overdose" that made me sick.

Replies

• theGuest
    ho all!

is anyone familiar with malitol? its in a lot of sugarless candies. and i recently read a warning on the back of a bag off sufar free ju jubes (to my surprise, shock and horror) that i should not exceed 100g daily!!!

i don't know if it was the knowledge that i had exceeded the amount or the actual "overdose" that made me sick.
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Sorry but I am not personally familiar with it. My family quit using all artificial sweetners after my daughter became sick with migraines when she was 4. My husband also got aspartame sweetner poisioning and nearly died. So we don't allow them. I am familiar with some of the other scary affects other sweetners can have though.

Eve
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    malitol is a sugar alcohal basically calorie free, very hard to digest, can often cause flatulance...smelly and have a laxative effect, use sparingly if you have sensitive gastro system
  • redalee
    redalee Posts: 256 Member
    Basically it gives you diarrhea if you eat too much of it. lol :bigsmile:
  • theGuest
    oh my god.

thats awful!!!

and sounds horribly familiar. what happens when you get aspartame poisoning?
  • Eve23
    Well for my husband he is a type 1 diabetic and has been since the age of 11. So he was a user of aspartame and other sweetners for a long period of time. In the 90's he began having unexplained sugar spikes from time to time. He would wake up and be so stiff and in pain that he would not want to move. Well we didn't know at the time what he was experiencing and we went on in our day to day life. In 2001 we started an automotive business and he was working long hours. He began losing weight and his sugar spikes became nearly every week. We are very careful with our diet so there were no reasons for it. He also was losing weight extremely fast. He went from 156 lbs to 90 lbs. He is normally a very strong man and he was having problems with his day to day activities. He was only able to work a few days per week and only a few hours at a time. We closed our shop. We had very little income so I started searching for causes starting with our diet. My daughter at this same time was being sent home with migraines for no apparent reason. Since I was making our own breads, tortillas, and most of our other foods from scratch I knew it must be something that we used on a regular basis that I had no control over. I started searching out diet soda. That is when I found the a site with people who have put down the affects of aspartame on them. I spent 4 hours reading through them and they were similiar enough I felt they had merrit. He came home and I showed him what I had found. He read for quite a long time and said nothing. He left that afternoon and I wasn't sure what his impression was. Well later I found out that he poured his soda out and quit cold turkey. We threw out all artificial sweetners and foods out. After about 3-6 weeks of withdrawls he started to gain weight. He didn't have the sugar spikes and he was able to sleep and even was gaining his stregnth back and had less pain. He said he was tasting things better and even was seeing better. My daughter quit having the migraines and so did I for that matter.

To this day we do not use any type of artificial sweetners.
    I did not know the name to what he went through until later but I have no other explanation for our experience and we have not had anything like this happen since.
    That is our story. Does anyone else have similiar experiences I wonder?

Eve
  • theGuest
    thank you for sharing.

i wont be having any of those candies anymore.
  • Eve23
    :wink: My pleasure guest. I honestly believe it is important for people who are willing to listen hear what can happen. I know that it is probably not a popular belief but I do believe alot of the health problems out there are made worse by the foods we eat or even causing the problem. Not to take away from anyones pain because not everything is food related but there is certainly some that are.

Eve
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    If you go online and type the word into your search engine you can find all kinds of info on it.

It is a sugar alcohol, it does contain about 3 carbs per gram (real sugar only contains 4), it does elevate your blood sugar and the most common side effect of this is bloating, stomach cramping and many unwanted trips to you nearest restroom.

I am a firm believer that real is better than imitation. You still have to have self control and moderation in everything you consume so if the differences are as minor as artificial sweetners vs. real sugar your body will process the real better than the imitation.
This discussion has been closed.