2014/5 WS-Indoor Trainer Challenge Discussion/Signup

Options
TheBigYin
TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
Well, as I sit here, there's rain hammering horizontally at 30kph on the window, temperatures are still in single figures as it approaches mid-day, and my newsfeed is filling up with people bemoaning the fact that they're getting ready to drag the dreaded turbo-trainer out and get the "Bike Torture Chamber" set up for the winter.

So, it seemed appropriate that I start the first part of the Winter Omnium rolling.

Indoor Trainer Challenge

As with all the challenges in the Winter Omnium, everything is reduced to a points score. Similar to last year, we're allocating points for the Indoor Trainer Challenge as follows

1 point for every 400kcals burned for men, 280kcals for women (last year we worked on 500 and 350, however, it seemed a disproportionate amount of rides lasted a hour and fell just short of scoring, so I've "tweaked" the scoring.

Rides should ideally be logged via Garmin/Strava and the calories be recorded that way, however, for people attending a spin class, I'm going to just call a 1 hour class=1point, Any other ways of recording (say the Tacx TTS screenshots Clive @cloggsy71 used last winter) should ideally be posted in here for me to give the yay/nay before adding to the logging thread - PLEASE KEEP ALL BANTER ETC IN HERE, since the forum "upgrade" it appears I've lost the ability to actually delete posts despite being a moderator for the group.

I'll open a "Entries Thread for logging rides commencing 00:01am today local time.

Replies

• Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I'm in, looking outside I think I may be doing a session tonight.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Funny ol' thing, but I'm in & tonight will be my first session of the long, dark winter :\
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I may do this, but won't be involved for another 10 to 15 days. I need to order a missing part for my trainer. Looks like I may be able to tour starting on Friday though, so I may be doing an outdoor ride for 5 to 7 days starting this Friday. This is if the current weather forecast holds.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    No worries Tom, it's open for the duration through to the end of February 2015, it just made sense to start the thread now - i'll be opening up the other challenges of the winter series over the coming week, probably starting with the commuter challenge, then the base mileage and finally the 'cross challenge
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,236 Member
    Options
    The end of February? It's still freezing cold and icy here until April. :smile: I was skiing until almost May last year. Well, there's nothing like a good challenge to motivate me to get on that trainer. It feels like a prison sentence sometimes. Thanks for the challenge and the motivation. :bigsmile:
  • TDSeest
    Options
    My oldest son found the misplaced trainer part, so I was able to ride my KICKR with KinoMap tonight after all. Rode my ride from Montego Bay, Jamaica. If I'm going to ride on the trainer, I'd like to get in some hills.
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    No worries Tom, it's open for the duration through to the end of February 2015, it just made sense to start the thread now - i'll be opening up the other challenges of the winter series over the coming week, probably starting with the commuter challenge, then the base mileage and finally the 'cross challenge

Do like that your opening these early, the weather is already feeling challenging, hopes are dying of an Indian Summer lol
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    The end of February? It's still freezing cold and icy here until April. :smile: I was skiing until almost May last year. Well, there's nothing like a good challenge to motivate me to get on that trainer. It feels like a prison sentence sometimes. Thanks for the challenge and the motivation. :bigsmile:

Yeah, I know some people have it far tougher than others - basically, I chose to cut off at the end of February, to give me time to actually start again from scratch with the classics challenge, seeing as the forum upgrade seems to have lost pretty much all the old threads... :disappointed::angry: :tired_face:

• sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,236 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I know some people have it far tougher than others - basically, I chose to cut off at the end of February, to give me time to actually start again from scratch with the classics challenge, seeing as the forum upgrade seems to have lost pretty much all the old threads... :disappointed::angry: :tired_face:

I found a thread from the #9 race last year by doing a google search. I wonder if the others are available.
  • JediCounsil
    JediCounsil Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Count me in. Ill be doing this twice a week from now on at least.
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    Quick questions, is this accumulative calories burnt over winter, if you do two sessions of 200cals does this count as 1 point or does any ride below 400 not count? I wouldn't want to do a session of 391cals and it not count for example lol :)
  • TheBigYin
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Ach, what the hell - we'll record in kcals and divide at the challenge end...

(goes away to re-write the logging spreadsheet)

• Jakess1971
    Options

lol, some early Christmas spirit :), that's great, all indoor riding counts towards the greater good.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Jakess1971 wrote: »

lol, some early Christmas spirit :), that's great, all indoor riding counts towards the greater good.

:innocent: could be cynical self interest - i'm toying with trying the TrainerRoad system and their training plans - as they're based on power outputs as a proportion of FTP, and pretty heavily structured, I may not have the flexibility to "just do an extra 58kcals of warmdown" to get over the 400kcal increments...

• TheBigYin
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ok folks - just a heads up, can everyone who posts in here, also include a "running total" of their kcals burned for each month and overall... With the new forum "upgrade", I'm no longer able to nip into posts and edit a "logged" marker in - so i'll probably only update the spreadsheet from the thread weekly, and post a "all Logged to this point" message...

New forum software in its current state is seriously bollocksing up the whole way of working on these challenges. I'm currently considering coming up with an alternative, but it may require people to enter data into a google spreadsheet "form" as well as the logging thread.

• TDSeest
    Options
    I'm not being much of a rider on the trainer as I've been off riding on tour. I know I suck for not being supportive, but the tour has been great.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Tom, don't sweat it - this indoor thing kicks in for different people at different times of the Autumn/Winter - but as there are some folks way up in the frozen north, it made sense to get the doors open on the challenge early.

Oh, and i've been reading your posts on Facebook - sounds like you're having a great trip out there... enjoy the rideing and the exploration - thats REALLY what riding bikes is about, not sweating in some back room on a indoor trainer. The Trainer stuff is to get/keep fit ready to enjoy the good weather when it happens.
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    I have done one session, however the bugger didn't upload to Strava, this has happened before and I think it's when you don't complete a course, I'll have to take a snapshot of the ipad session and link to that, didn't want to fill up a post with a ton of pics as I like neat little one liner Strava references :)
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I'll be honest, the TTS software I use on the Tacx Trainer crashes so often, I usually make sure I've got the Garmin 800 running "in parallel" and if the TTS fails, then theres still the Garmin .FIT file (belt, braces and a bit of string)
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Mark, Sorry but I'm going to have to drop this challenge. Thanks for trying to get my bum moving this off season, but without an easily uploadable data option its more of a pain than needed for both of us. Nikki Catch you in the spring!