2014/5 WS-Rule #9 Base Distance Builder Challenge Signup/Discussion

Options
TheBigYin
TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
edited October 2014 in Social Groups
For those of you unaware of rule #9, it's basically the second most important rule of the Velominati...

Basically, it goes like this:
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Fair-weather riding is a luxury reserved for Sunday afternoons and wide boulevards. Those who ride in foul weather – be it cold, wet, or inordinately hot – are members of a special club of riders who, on the morning of a big ride, pull back the curtain to check the weather and, upon seeing rain falling from the skies, allow a wry smile to spread across their face. This is a rider who loves the work.

With that in mind, and in view of the fact that for the majority of the northern hemisphere riders on MFP / In this Group, any longer ride (50km or above) that may be considered as being a contribution to your base level fitness, is going to require a certain degree of MTFU (or WTFU as applicable) somewhere along the line.

So - logging for this challenge is very simple - to Qualify for inclusion, rides need to be 50km+ in distance and not already added into commuting claim (so, no cheeky double points for an extended 51km detour on the return leg of your commute)

Points as follows

50km+ or above ride - 1 point
100km+ or above ride - 3 points
162km+ or above ride - 6 points

Rides to be logged in Strava in the usual manner, a sample ride log being...

24/8/2014 - 163.4km http://www.strava.com/activities/184726920 - 6 points

Total for month - 6 points

Hopefully the weather will be kind enough to us that most of us should be able to post one or two rides... I'll leave it to the conscience of the southern hemisphere people and denizens of the more temperate areas of the Stated as to if they post or not, It's not ALL about it being freezing - it can be equally as tough, if not harder, to ride for 4 hours into a block headwind in melting temperatures as it is to ride for 4 hours in dead still -5°c

As always, PLEASE KEEP ALL BANTER ETC IN HERE, since the forum "upgrade" it appears I've lost the ability to actually delete posts despite being a moderator for the group.

Logging thread to open shortly...

Replies

• Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Nicely done, here's hoping for a mild winter.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Jakess1971 wrote: »
    Nicely done, here's hoping for a mild winter.
    Anything but Fog, Snow or Floods would be nice.

• CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    We need the rain here badly but I would like to avoid the fog.
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    So - when do we start logging rides? Also, I thought I read something about not being able to edit and delete so we might only be logging once a week or so, true?
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    start anytime you want - the challenge kicked in from the date of the first post (my initial setup post) in each of the logging threads, so if you've anything that's compliant for the challenges, back date them and post 'em up.

The "deletion" problem is a bit of a pain - as you'll remember from the Grand Tour Challenges, i'd keep trimming away the old posts after logging, to keep the thread sizes down. Now, with the "new improved" forum setup, deletion is not an option. So, Basically I'd suggest posting once a week, with a tidyup post at the end of each month... In this case, probably just post any/all your october stuff on Saturday 1st november, then book in once a week from there.

That's not saying to everyone "post on a saturday" BTW, because if everything happens all at once, this forum will be as dead as a dead thing from sunday through friday... post when it's convenient, but try and keep the frequency of posting down to roughly once a week if possible.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,236 Member
    Options
    j4eqs4zepdh5.jpg

Does this qualify as a rule #9 Ride? :smile:
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I see snow, it'll do for me ;)
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Just a quick Heads up folks - Winter Omnium finishes 28th February, less than 2 weeks from Now... I'm going to un-sticky all the individual threads and leave this one in-situ, because I really aught to get to start up the Classics Challenge Signup thread sometime soon...