Food Allergy issues

Options
retirehappy
retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
I thought I would start this thread so we can share our tips and recipes, etc. about living with gluten but decided since others are lactose intolerant, and some can't handle nightshade family members like eggplant, tomato, and potato I made this thread for food allergy issues.

From the April chat:
Three years ago today I went gluten free because of an allergy to wheat. It was the best thing I've ever done for myself. It hasn't helped me lose weight, but after 65 years, I am sleeping through the night without any cough medicine or other aid. My previously "chronically" cough has all but disappeared. I had IBS, too, and read that it could take 3-5 years of being gluten free and then the IBS could clear up--I realized while we were on our monthlong trip that I wasn't having a problem! Don't get me wrong, there are still days with issues, but nothing like it was. I had to share this with all of you as part of my celebration of this landmark day. Hope everyone has a great April 1st.

Gluten is a challenge for many people, I have an intolerance, not full blown celiac disease. I can get away with a serve of it here and there, but it can not be a part of my diet on a daily basis or I pay a price. I notice that a true homemade whole wheat version of dishes doesn't cause as bad a problem as the all purpose white flour does.

I use quinoa a lot, to replace things like wheat products such as bulgar and pastas, and even white rice (no gluten but very high carb), I do use jasmine from time to time, the flavor is unique and I love it. If you cook your own quinoa, be sure to wash it before cooking it. Some people are allergic to the reside on outside of the unwashed quinoa. Here is good info on the nutrition and cooking of quinoa:
http://www.eatingwell.com/healthy_cooking/healthy_cooking_101_basics_techniques/5_facts_about_quinoa_nutrition_and_cooking_quinoa

Are there any food allergy issues for anyone else here? If so please share how you cope with them.

Replies

• gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Retirehappy, like you, I am not Celiac, but I have an allergy to wheat and have all my life, just didn't know how to fix it.

My favorite baking cookbook is The Almond Flour Cookbook, by Elena Amsterdam. Lots of good recipes for baking and a few for cooking. So now, almond flour is a staple in this house.

I love jasmine rice and my husband makes a great rice and beans dish with long grain brown and wild rice with black beans and pinto beans, 2to1. A little bit really fills me up.

I think this thread will be a good thing so thanks, Retirehappy.
  • bvifun
    bvifun Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    This is a good topic.

I am allergic to dairy but cheese was always my favourite food...alas. I have been off dairy for about 20 years now and can sneak a little in once in a while. I use lactaid which helps with the digestive issues but not the headache, sinus problems or rash. Unfortunately we cannot get much dairy free cheese here and no dairy free yogurt. What is really weird is that I can usually eat goat or sheep cheese. I'm not sure why. Today I bought some raw cashews and am going to try to make some cashew "cream" to use instead of cool whip.

I did come off gluten for a year many years ago but it did not make any difference and I was glad of that.

Wanda
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Wanda, My sister who is lacto intolerant, can also use goat cheese products. Is there no soy alternatives in your area? Soy yogurt is actually not bad at all. Some women have to watch soy as well.
  • bvifun
    Options
    @retirehappy I love soy yogurt but cannot get it here any longer. :( That is interesting that your sister can also tolerate goat cheese. After my last post I went to our deli and they had some new cheeses in including herbed goat gouda. I'm in heaven. Lol.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Lucky, I have no allergies and few "dislikes." I recently read an article on babies who could only drink goat's milk. Maybe this is why: (Found it at this site: http://www.mtcapra.com/benefits-of-goat-milk-vs-cow-milk/)

"Here are 5 reasons goat milk is better than cow milk.
    1. Goat’s milk is less allergenic.
    2. Goat’s milk is naturally homogenized.
    3. Goat’s milk is easier to digest.
    4. Goat’s milk rarely causes lactose intolerance.
    5. Goat’s milk matches up to the human body better than cow’s milk."
  • belladiva47
    belladiva47 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    So happy to see this thread. Often wondered if I am sensitive to gluten because of issues. I know I have to stay away from dairy. Guess I will be researching this and figuring out a new way of eating
  • sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    There's a test I'm supposed to take for gluten or celiac, or whatever that lab slip says, which I'll do when we get back home. So Apparently they can test for gluten sensitivity.
    Our daughters were allergic to almost all foods, and we used soy. Doctor said often folks could tolerate goat milk when all else failed.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Sharon there is a test for intolerance, I did that but I scored at the borderline, but I do have a reaction when I cross a line with wheat eating. My hands become so stiff I can't type and that was very important to my job before I retired. So I watch my consumption of wheat products closely.

I do find that I can tolerate the ancient varieties of wheat pretty well. Spelt does not give me any symptoms. Oats which can get contaminated with wheat, doesn't seem to cause an issue either, but I do buy them from Sprouts or Whole Foods, or the organic oats from Kroger.
  • gramanana
    Options
    I had a blood test to test for food allergies and it came back negative and I know I'm allergic to wheat. After doing some reading, I discovered that in order for the test to work, you really need to have been eating wheat products (or whatever food you are being tested for) for at least 2 weeks prior to the test so it is in your system. I hadn't eaten any in over 2 years.
  • bvifun
    Options
    Gramanana I had that happen too. The results said no dairy allergy but I had not had dairy in 5 years and it showed an allergy to almonds but at the time I was eating huge amounts of almonds. (Nuts are my downfall....even the food kind.)
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I am not allergic to any food, but I have found the SM disease that I have is totally settled down when I eat food that is Paleo. When I am 100% I have zero issues, but my stomach tells me even if I cheat just a little
  • gramanana
    Options
    Bvifun--I have the same issue with nuts, all kinds. LOL. It makes life interesting and fun!

Rebamae--I have no idea what SM is, but at least you have figured out how to fix it. That's very important.