Cooking with full-fat, full-sugar, not-the-best foods

Options
LJFJ
LJFJ Posts: 73 Member
I'm new here (started yesterday), thanks to my doctor. Unfortunately, I have no sugar-free, low-fat foods around here except canned and frozen vegetables. Even my canned fruit is in heavy syrup. These are foods left over from before my husband passed away. I can't afford to replace all of them yet, but I'll replace them as they run out.

In the meantime, how do I plan meals around this stuff? Every time I try to add something to my list of foods (planning ahead so I can't [hopefully] cheat), there's too much fat or sugar. Yet, I'm not eating enough calories.

What do I do? How do I do this? I'm also Type II diabetic.

Thank you for your help!

Linda

Replies

• Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Thats a tough one, you can drain and rinse the canned stuff but it will only reduce it down so much. I had to do that with my canned veggies to drop the sodium levels after a heart attack. I was warned to try and stay away from low-fat and fat-free foods as they have added sugar and higher sodium levels to make up the taste of regular foods

Did the Dr give you any guidelines to follow, how many carbs, sugar per meal or day?

• LJFJ
    Options
    Hi, Keiko. No, the doctor told me to come here and, when my calories, carbs, sugars, and fat are done for the day, I'm done eating. Gee, that's a lot of help, isn't it?

I have yet to eat the full amount of protein and calories. I've been good at limiting carbs and sugar, but I'm HUNGRY! And I seem to spend way too much time planning a meal, trying different types of foods to make up for missing stuff, but then I go over in carbs, fat, or sugar so I have to start all over again. I need a life, and I'm already getting frustrated, even though I've already lost 7 pounds of water weight. I'm HUNGRY! (Did I say that before?) :#
  • Keiko385
    Options
    I would be on that Dr's backside and quick ;) . I'm not a diabetic but have family members who are. I know they have to balance out the carbs per meal to keep their blood sugar on track.
    there is a another group on MFP that may be able to help you sort it all out
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group

another good source of info is here,
    http://commonsensehealth.com/the-glycemic-index-food-list-of-low-gi-foods/#veggies

• LJFJ
    Options
    Thanks, Keiko. He was so cavalier about how to monitor my foods, just telling me to use what MFP sets up for me, but it's only based on weight loss, not weight loss and lower A1C. I'll go to the other group you mentioned and the Web site. There are so many groups and Web sites; I spent all weekend trying to find what I need.

Thank you!

Linda
  • LJFJ
    Options
    Great Web site, Keiko ('love your dog, by the way; husky or malamute?). Thank you for your help. I'm going to call the doctor's office today and see if they can refer me to a nutritionist if I can't get this figured out.
  • Keiko385
    Options
    I can't imagine how confusing this is for you but have faith it will all fall into place and get you on the mend.

Thats my boy, he is a very large husky coming in at 80 lbs and is pure muscle. Walking him is a workout in its self lol. My girl is a very dainty husky at about half his size. I have been trying to get them hooked up to bikes for exercise and hopefully someday will move on to dog sledding :)
  • LJFJ
    Options
    Hi, Keiko. If you get them hooked up, post a picture for us. On the show, "It's Me or the Dog," there was a husky owner, she had 5 of them, I think, and she had put wheels on a sled so they could pull her (and her kids) along and get their exercise. It's amazing to me how they all work together. I also watch "Life Below Zero" and love watching how all those dogs work together. It's art in motion!
  • cls81019
    cls81019 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Whole foods, fresh veggies, minimal fruit herbs and spices! Stay away from prepared sauces, dressings, and marinades. They are the worst for you! Anything labeled, "light", "low fat", "fat free", "sugar free" is a chemical *kitten* storm so steer clear of those! Look up recipes around the mediterranean diet. They will consist of health fats, lean protein and lots of veggies!
  • Jima102250
    Jima102250 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Rinsing after draining will help until you get rid of these foods. Then you can look for other options. Not all low fat foods have added sugar. Just read the labels.