Ad Lib April {April 22nd}

Options
FIT_Goat
FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
Link to original thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10124232/ad-libitum-april-challenge

Last Week's Thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10137103/ad-lib-april-april-15th

On Wednesday the 22nd, post your second week's information here.

Weight (or change)

Anything else you want to include.

{You can keep posting through the week, if you miss the 22nd, obviously.}

Edit: Note that the last Check In will be Friday, May 1st. Not next Wednesday or the 30th.

Replies

• Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    1st April 141.5
    4th April 140
    19th April 141
    22nd April 140

It seems I'm the first one to start the new day. ;)

I'm really happy with this. I haven't logged or tracked anything.

Yesterday was unusual. It turned chilly here and I wasn't hungy. A couple of coffees, a couple of slices of bacon and then about 4pm... BOOM... I'm ravenous and ate a whole day's worth of food in a couple of hours. :dizzy:
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    lol, you're a future person. ;) Wednesday is still hours away for me. Looking good. Way to go with listening to your body, even if it feels weird to eat so much in a short time frame.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    @Sajyana yes, you're the first to get the new day. And congrats on the way you've been tracking, that's fantastic!

1st April 84.6
    8th April 83.5
    15th April 83.8
    22nd April 83.1

Obviously very, very happy with that. Actually can't believe my eyes now I've typed each week next to each other like that :*

Carb goal has been under 20 but I did hit 22 on Sunday. Was 8 grams last Thursday so maybe that evens itself out.

It's been a bit of an adventurous week and I ended up feeling weak and wobbly by Sunday. A friend on here checked out my calories (that I can't see) and I'd been eating too little. I'd been eating *just* sufficient each day to not feel hungry at any time, which obviously for me - in dieting mode - isn't a good guide on my food needs. On Thu and Sat the 'you're not eating enough' warning had popped up and I thumbed my nose at it.

Additionally, we had to walk home in the midday heat (not that hot, 27°C) on Monday and it nearly killed me. I still had all my faculties, but barely made it home, I felt so hot. Threw the aircon on full blast, stripped my tummy bare and lay on the cold tiled floor for 20-30 mins until I dared start sipping water and begin slowly getting up. Realised when the sweating finally started that I hadn't been doing that on the walk.

My heart still feels like it's beating too fast. Well, it is. 76 resting pulse where I used to be 59 - 62 and my blood pressure is up again (as it was in my early keto days) to 143/93. I feel very confused, but have an app't to see my naturopath at lunch time. I don't feel as if it's LCHF to blame, but obviously I'm doing something wrong, or have a mineral or vitamin imbalance of some description and hope my wonderful Mauricio can fix me quickly. What with heart palpitations in late February, that I've now narrowed down to taking potassium supplements (in any form, even lite salt) my heart is having a really hard time of this and I don't want to be a slim corpse.

Sorry for so many words but this could well be related to doing 'too low calories' when my seemingly slow-to-adapt-body is still adjusting to LCHF. By which I probably mean that it's still dealing with toxins being released from my body fat as I lose it. Well, that's my theory anyway. I will give a quick report back after I've seen Mauricio - or should I copy and paste the chatty part of this into a new thread in the forum?

**I don't want to hijack this thread by creating feedback on what I've just written**
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Just a quick and happy update, everything had been caused by a struggling immune system. All the 'heart palpitations' are actually my thalamus gland complaining. So relieved! I have herbs for 2 months but will be better in 5 days. No dairy or exercise during the 5 days - except for the running I just did with my grandies hopefully ;)
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    • Date: Trend -- Average
    • Apr 1: 71.2 kg -- 71.0 kg
    • Apr 8: 70.9 kg -- 70.8 kg
    • Apr 15: 70.8 kg -- 70.7 kg
    • Apr 22: 70.6 kg -- 70.5 kg

And here's a chart to show the daily weights and everything. You'll note it says today the trend is 70.65, but it's 70.649... and I round to the nearest tenth just to keep myself sane. The averages I also round to the nearest tenth. It just keeps everything easier.
    4fxaam2hdnka.png

Change in trend: -0.55 kg or -1.2 lbs
    Change in average: -0.43 kg or -0.9 lbs

In all, the month is going pretty typically for me. No big changes on the scale. Still a gentle slide down in weight.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    Sorry for so many words but this could well be related to doing 'too low calories' when my seemingly slow-to-adapt-body is still adjusting to LCHF. By which I probably mean that it's still dealing with toxins being released from my body fat as I lose it. Well, that's my theory anyway. I will give a quick report back after I've seen Mauricio - or should I copy and paste the chatty part of this into a new thread in the forum?

**I don't want to hijack this thread by creating feedback on what I've just written**

You could post it in here. This is the discussion and check in for this week. It doesn't have to be limited to one post or just a list of people talking about scale weight or anything like that.
  • wrkm2038
    wrkm2038 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    April 1-299
    April 8-299
    April 15-298
    April 22-294.4

Been way under my goal of 30g most of the week. Feeling great.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Initial weight: 164.8
    Week 1 weight (April 8): 166.4
    Week 2 weight (April 15): 165.4
    Week 3 weight (April 22): 166.6
    Total Loss: +1.8

Bah. That's all I have to say.
  • ibetty55
    ibetty55 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Maintaining. Same as last week at 156.4. This week has been a real roller coaster though. Too much coffee I think. The weather rainy and cool
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Still in my upswing, apparently. Trying to stick with it. I'm a little annoyed with how I can't seem to detach my meal scheduling from my actual hunger, and even though I have no emotional response to eating extra calories, I'm convinced I'm eating more than I actually need.

5nfg7mlus067.png
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    4/1: 219
    4/8: (Didn't officially weigh, think it was around 218)
    4/15: 216.6
    4/22: 216.2

Up from my lowest low so far (215.6) which I hit Saturday when I started TOM (typical water loss for me). Have only had one non-keto-for-me day so far this month, and that was this week. Had the most amazingly AWFUL headache all day on Monday. Borderline migraine, and nothing was helping...not drugs, not electrolyte supplementing, not water, nothing. Not a thing in my logs could point to what caused it, except maybe overexertion physically on Sunday, with too little hydration. Got off work crawled into bed in a dark room w/ an ice pack on the back of my neck for a couple hours...still throbbing. Took a couple more excedrin migraine, and made myself a bowl of super buttery popcorn and ate that...within 45 minutes, the headache was gone. Now, I'm not attributing it to the popcorn. ;-) And no, that won't be my first go-to next time either. I was searching for comfort and that popcorn, at that time, fit the bill. Had some dark chocolate, too. Still kept carbs that day well under 75, still in ketosis the next a.m., and total calories were less than my TDEE, so I'm good with that. Probably would've showed a better scale result today had I kept carbs at 20, but I'm fine with the choice I made.

One more week of calories be damned, and then on to my attempt at Meativore May! lol That should keep things interesting...
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    4/1 weight: 250.2
    4/8 weight: 248.0 (-2.2)
    4/15 weight: 247.6 (-2.6 total, -0.4 last week)
    4/22 weight: 246.4 (-3.8 total, -1.2 last week)

I definitely bounced around a lot on the scale this week, if I'd weighed in yesterday instead of today it would have shown a gain. But it feels like the general downward trend is "real" and I am mostly happy about the food choices I've made over the last week. I'm obvoiusly quite pleased with the number on the scale. January-March I only lost 4.8 pounds. Looks like there is a chance I can match that in April alone!
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    1/4: 203.8
    8/4: 202.5
    15/4 203.9
    22/4 203.5

This has been another frustrating week. I haven't been able to hit my exercise target of 3 - 8 miles walking. I've also had to increase my carb target to 50 to accommodate the consumption of more oats. My digestive system simply can't tolerate the low levels of fibre which seem to be a feature of a lower carb diet. I've also been unsuccessful in changing the balance of my fat intake from saturated to monosaturated fat. A complicated gallbladder condition makes this a necessity. On a positive note I plan to stick this out to the end dv.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Weight:
    4/2/2015 247.6 pounds / 112.55 kg
    4/8/2015 242.8 pounds / 110.36 kg
    4/15/2015 247.6 pounds / 112.55 kg
    4/22/2015 245.8 pounds / 111.72 kg

Down 1.8 pounds or 0.8 kg since last week, up from my good weigh in 4/8, but down overall, so I guess that's a win. I've been really loose with my counts since starting these, even on carbs. Been keeping an "idea" in my head. Most days I'm in the ballpark of 25 grams, but this week it's been a little more due to awesome berries I got on super sale that I'm using up. No guilt whatsoever about it either. LOL

But this above I think is all about water and hormonal fluctuations. I messed myself up by taking a hormone balancing supplement (not realizing it would screw up my hormonal birth control because it wasn't supposed to do that), and I'm in the middle of Shark Week (sorry guys!) that shouldn't be. That is part of last week's up in weight and water retention (I found where it hides - in my upper gut area, right under my breasts... weird.).

I got a ton of blood work done this week - some results are back and some aren't. When I can understand what the heck it all means (71 tests and counting so far! OMG), I'll advise. I see my endocrinologist on Friday. What I can say is Triglycerides are down, good cholesterol is up, as is the bad, but I'm waiting on the proof that it is the large fluffy particles that aren't as concerning. A1c and estimated mean glucose are both down a teensy bit, but not where I'd like to see them. Fasting glucose is up just a little. Vitamin B12 is improving, but way too slow for the health of my nerves! Magnesium is a little low but expected that as I skipped my supplement a few days before the test. Most everything else that is back is in the low end of normal range. Looking forward to talking with the doc to get the "big picture" and the little snapshots...
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    4.1 163.8lbs
    4.8 164lbs
    4.15 163lbs
    4.22 166.8lbs

So this week I ate, and ate, and ate some more, I did not watch carbs or calories, the scale reflects that. I know it is mostly water weight. I am still working on adjusting my carb amount. I have been trying less then 40 net, but was struggling with this, I always felt very hungry, going lower then 40 with higher fat did not help. This week I have upped my carbs to around 100 total for the day. So far my appetite has seemed to regulate a little bit. I will continue to monitor what seems to work for my body. I am doing 25%Carb/35%Protein/40%fat however, the only number I am really watching closely is the Carb number for this challenge at least :)
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've also had to increase my carb target to 50 to accommodate the consumption of more oats. My digestive system simply can't tolerate the low levels of fibre which seem to be a feature of a lower carb diet.

Nothing wrong with 50g carbs but if you're aiming for a lower net carb, I get my fiber almost entirely from a pudding I make daily with chia seeds.

6-8 oz unsweetened original almond milk
    2 tbsp heavy cream
    1/4 cup chia seeds

I also include small amounts (i don't measure, less than a tablespoon of each for sure) of cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and Torani sugar free caramel syrup, and two stevia packets.

stir it up, put it in the fridge for ~2 hours, the chia seeds absorb a good bit of the almond milk and makes it into a pudding consistency. If I'm good on my carbs for the day I'll microwave a spoonful of peanut butter and mix it in when I am ready to eat it.

Anyway, I know so many keto folks have no need for fiber, but I had some fairly bothersome digestive issues in the past as well and if I do this I keep losing weight and don't have any issues. /shrug!
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    4/1: 196.6 lbs
    4/8: 198
    4/15: 197
    4/22: 194

Down for the week. Down for the challenge!
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,504 Member
    Options
    So, after my rant, it finally budged.

I am down 4 lbs (223 from 227) from the start of the challenge. I've been making an effort to eat a little more, though unfortunately, I find that it makes me hungrier, so that sucks.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've been going berserk. Ever since my binge at Easter, I've been hungry. Craving carbs. Ketostix are saying moderate to small depending on the day/time/water consumption. Breath is saying the same depending. Scale hasn't changed one way or another.

I'm not tracking anything but I know my carbs are often under 20. I'm suspecting I'm pretty (very) high on fats (calories) some days. The days I feel really hungry I eat a little more protein and more fat until the hunger goes away. Often what makes it go away is a big bowl of salad or veggies of some kind. I'll save all my carbs and have a big bowl of spinach or broccoli. So I don't know if I'll be in for the challenge next month after realizing this. I'm still kind of learning my bodies signals I think.

I'm clinging desperately to the notion that my body has been screwed up for so long with restrictive diets (two times in my life I went 4 months without eating because I was so desperate to stop gainging weight) that maybe it's just going to take a little longer for it to stabilize itself. I want desperately to lose weight and be able to do all the athletic things I used to do. I can't bear the thought of it not happening.... so this is what I'm telling myself. It will happen eventually. I have to trust and ignore all I've been taught previously.

In the mean time, I'm still sticking with it because I DO feel better emotionally. And that is a big deal. And, I haven't gained anything so...

On a somewhat unrelated note, I was offcially diagnosed with Asthma today! So I'm not just out of shape, I really can't breathe!! Halleluja! So I started puffers n stuff today so that hopefully I'll be able to start walking soon. That, I'm hoping, will also help.

End frustrated rant:.
  • JennyToy
    JennyToy Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    1st April...i wasn't in yet
    4th April...I wasn't in yet
    13Th April...181.7 (my start) bf 33.6
    15th April...180.4 (check in) bf 33.3
    22nd april...180.5 (today) bf 33.4

Not much significant change from last week, but this was shark week, so that's a win in my book