Mostly Full Metabolic Results Panel

Options
KnitOrMiss
KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
For those of you not active in my other groups, I wanted to include my lab results updates since starting LCHF... Waiting on two results - LDL particle size test and Iodine test (re: thyroid).

Weight:
4/02/2015 247.6 pounds / 112.55 kg
4/08/2015 242.8 pounds / 110.36 kg
4/15/2015 247.6 pounds / 112.55 kg
4/22/2015 245.8 pounds / 111.72 kg
4/30/2015 245.0 pounds / 111.36 kg
5/01/2015 246.4 pounds / 112.00 kg

Yeah, seriously, only 85 ounces of water yesterday combined with a short four hour sleep, and not much else did result in the almost 1.5 pounds gain overnight. I have been all over the place this month, but honestly, I had an unexpected menstrual cycle the week of 4/15-4/22, if I remember correct, some hellacious stress with lab work and doctors appointments, did not track the entire month - kept only a loose count on carbs, but my water and sleep were so poor in April comparatively.

So for me, overall this is good - still technically down for the month, but a crazy yo-yo. I'm not ready to jump whole hog on the meat-wagon next month, though I'm going to focus on that as much as possible, but I'll have about $200 less per paycheck this month (and the rest of the year), so any excess meat purchases will be delayed for a bit...

Mostly my goal for may is going to be focused on water and sleep - and stress. Might start some yoga and such. But my endocrinologist was happy overall, said he wanted to use me as a "success story" for his diabetics to show how much progress was possible in only 3 months of LCHF eating...

My TSH stabilized with respect to T3, T4, Free T's, and all of that. According to my Endo, he said it was almost a perfect normal thyroid panel.

Magnesium was low - but I stopped my supplement several days before the test to see what I was "retaining." He said to stay on the supplement until we test again. Sodium, potassium, chloride, carbon dioxide - all maintained pre keto good levels. Selenium is in a good high/middle range place. All the rest of the CMP stayed mostly level or progressed positively.

Cortisol leveled out to in range.

Vitamin B12 levels almost doubled since the end of October, and are above the halfway range marker, but still are low as far as symptoms. Will continue to monitor and supplement.

Vitamin D3 is up 12 points since October, and up from 24 to 58 since 2011.

All blood health numbers (red, white, platelets, etc.) are level or improved slightly.

Total cholesterol is up, but that is due to LDL being up. Should have test back next week confirming that LDL particle size is the large, fluffy, not-scary-healthwise particles. All updates are from the end of October to now.

Triglycerides are down from 112 to 97. They were at 203 in early 2009.

HDL is up from 41 to 45. All time low was 29 in mid-2011.

LDL was up from 133 to 148 (calculated, again note on particle size). Actual test showed the direct rate to be 164, so calculations aren't always correct. My level this time last year was 118, and early 2009 was 135, so all around the same ranges. Looking forward to particle size report.

Fasting Glucose went up from 90 to 91, but A1c went down from 5.3% to 5.1%. Estimated Mean Plasma Glucose was down from 111 to 104, and I was told that was good numbers. Fasting Insulin level went down from 9 in May 2014 to 7.6 in end of October 2014 to 7.1 last week. Endocrinologist say that this is a great trend and approved the discontinuation of Metformin, due to treatment with positive results by diet. The drop from 9 to 7.6 was mostly medication, continued drop from 7.6 to 7.1 was 3 months of LCHF lifestyle.

So astounding positive report for my dietary changes. Looking forward to continuing trends. If anyone wants to see my actual labs, I don't mind posting. Some tests have annual results back to 2009 for comparison, and some are completely new...

Reference Dates:
Switched to LCHFMP on 1/15/15 at 262 pounds - started between 100 grams and 50 grams of carbs daily. By mid-February, to neutralize cravings and such, my average carbs were about 35 grams. Made the choice to drop levels again, just to see how it worked.

Switched to Keto on 2/18/15 at 248.2 pounds. Dropped to 20 grams of carbs daily, 25 or so NET if including high fiber veggies.

Low weight was 241.8 at the end of March - when I attended the Renaissance Faire and got severely dehydrated working out of doors 4 days in a row with limited water. Have been struggling to regain this level, but I know I have not gained "real" weight, because back in February at this "real" weight, I could not wear the same sized clothing I am wearing today, the same clothing I was able to wear at the end of March.

Looking forward to forward progress.

Replies

• alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    It's so nice you've gotten good news after your stress about autoimmunity! I'm assuming in your report, he didn't see anything that pointed towards that?

Excellent work!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    The one test result I didn't include above that was an inflammation thing that was showing possible auto-immune stuff, but the doctor says it was likely just inflammation due to burning fat releasing toxins, mild dehydration, and random other factors. But, my rheumatoid factor was down by half from 6 to less than 3 (range is <14 for good numbers). I just need to retest every year, because my results were "negative" in the past, meaning no problems... This was just random - none of the other results contributed to concern.

I'm more concerned about it than my PCP was. She blew it off like it was an anomaly. My Endocrinologist was far more concerned, but it isn't his specialty. If I keep having wacky symptoms, I'll get tested again. But my E doc said I was already doing almost everything except specific meds that they would suggest for treating it, so that unless other bloodwork showed a bigger problem, he would keep on and just check it. But he didn't know what to test, either...

So, like all the other BS crap in my life, if I can't change it, can't affect, I have to say screw it and go on with my healthier habits...

And thank you.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    That's pretty good news! You seem to have a good team of trusted doctors. Makes sense to have it tested again if you feel you need to, but they usually say to wait a bit to get retested for anything anyways. Isn't this stuff with our bodies fascinating? Sometimes I think I missed my calling.