What are you reading?

Options
wabmester
wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
I'm currently reading Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind. I thought it would be an evolutionary history based on archaeological evidence.

He does some of that, but there's always a LOT of opinion in the book, which makes it a fun read. For example, he thinks the invention of agriculture was a major mistake.

There are some interesting and unexpected insights into diet and health. For example, I'm currently reading a chapter about the history of religions, and I somehow never picked up that the fundamental basis of Buddhism is that "suffering arises from craving."

Low-carb is nirvana. :)

Replies

• KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Ha

I crave something every once in a while

It is low carb

Not sure that makes me religious through

Ha!

I'm reading up on triathlon training. It is interesting in that it is much about not burning yourself out on the bike so you have a bad run.

Monitor your heart and don't go above a certain level so you have energy left for the rest of the event.

I see people running at 22 mph in a sprint triathlon and remember, they are taking it easy since they still have to swim and run.

Pretty amazing really.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I just listened to a podcast by Dave Asprey with Dr John Gray. He talked about all of his books at one point or other but I am interested in his book, Staying Focused in a Hyper World - Natural Solutions for ADHD, Memory and Brain Function. Lots of juicy nutrition science info, much of which is apparently very supportive of a Keto diet.
    He is the Men are From Mars, Women are From Venus guy. I've really gotten into listening to podcasts on my walks and while driving lately. My brain is apparently in full fat adapted mode and hungry for knowledge! Lol
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I finished listening to Brain Grain by Perlmutter. Like sunnybunny I often use the walks listening to books or lectures.

On my shelf is a long list, among them is Sapiens, lol.

Inspired by Ferriss, I'm gonna have to read Meditations by Marcus Aurelius.

Might try The Fat Switch, but he sounds a bit too invested in the fructose alarmism. Interesting theories, though.

Dreading the epic tome of McArdle and Katch: Exercise Physiology. At some point I'm gonna brace myself to read it.

There's also fiction on the shelf: Murakami and Ian McEwan.

Ugh, overachiever, lol.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I do a brain strain job all day.

I hate to admit I don't even turn on my laptop and don't read after work. I only use my cell phone for this.

Does playing guitar count? There is some reading music involved...

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Ever see a little film called Frequencies? I don't want to give it away, but music is really the ONLY thing that matters. :)
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Currently reading a Chuck Wendig book, up next I think I'm going to read Ray Bradbury's The Halloween Tree.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I just finished: "Change Anything: The New Science of Personal Success" by Kerry Patterson (and others).

I still need to review it and take notes and make my change plans!

And I just started: "The Dance of Anger: A Woman's Guide to Changing the Patterns of Intimate Relationships" by Harriet Lerner Ph.D.

After that is another book personally recommended, "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing" by Marie Kondo & Emily Woo Zeller.

Can you tell where my focus is lately?
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I finished "Outlander" yesterday. I've ordered another two novels in the series. I'm also studying Medieval Europe. Just for fun.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,483 Member
    Options
    Medical Surgical Nursing: Patient Centered Collaborative Care
    Nursing Today: Transition and Trends
    Pearson Reviews and Rationales: Comprehensive Review for NCLEX-RN
    Pediatric Nursing: Caring for Children and their Families
    Cardiovascular Care Made Incredibly Easy

I am also not sleeping :pensive:
  • fatchimom
    fatchimom Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I've been reading a crime novel for about 2 months-Blood Stained by CJ Lyons. I soooo cannot get into it!!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options

Wowsa! I'm guessing later stages of nursing school? Don't those books tell you somewhere in there how critical sleep is to the brain and body??? (hugs)
  • Couchpotato39
    Couchpotato39 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Sajyana wrote: »
    I finished "Outlander" yesterday. I've ordered another two novels in the series. I'm also studying Medieval Europe. Just for fun.

Love Outlander series! I have finished the first 3 books.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I'm studying ... so textbooks mostly :) But, I chew through novels on my phone mostly reading when I go to bed. It's the only way I can shut my brain down to sleep. Most recently:

Coldheart Canyon - Clive Barker
    The Truth - Peter James
    Broken Silence - Danielle Ramsay
    The Grin of the Dark - Ramsey Campbell

I lean towards Crime/Thriller type novels at the moment.

I've also read a whole raft of fantasy series, Game of Thrones, The Sorcerer's Ring, Terry Pratchett etc.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm on book 10 of the Wheel of Time fantasy series. Once I'm done with that it will probably be time for some nonfiction of some kind, I'll be following this thread to get some suggestions!
    Does playing guitar count? There is some reading music involved..

Oh, I can count that too if you can :D I've played off and on for years at a real novice level (never dedicating enough effort to it to improve), but the last few months I've been putting in a lot of time and have started seeing some nice progress. I'm still very much a beginner, but I'm having a lot of fun learning.
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Im reading the Crossfire series. Raunchy, dirty, and awesome books lol. Almost like 50 shades of gray but not BDSM hehe.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    After that is another book personally recommended, "The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing" by Marie Kondo & Emily Woo Zeller.

LOVE that book! She has got me WANTING to clean and organize... sort of freaky. I'm not done that one yet. I read a bit, put it down and ponder... LOL

I've got a few books on the go too, besides The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up.

Good Calories Bad Calories by Taubes (again).

That Sugar Book by Gameau

Saint Odd by Koontz

Lord of the Rings by Tolkien

and I'm reading The Blood of Olympus by Riordan to my kids.

... I need to finish a couple of these... I'm spread a little thin right now.

• nvmomketo
    Options
    Sajyana wrote: »

Love Outlander series! I have finished the first 3 books.

Those are good! Some of the later books have slow starts but if you hang in there it is worth it
  • amb312
    amb312 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm halfway thru the second Outlander and took a step back. I find myself rolling my eyes and so I will take a break and try again.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    The second half of her books are always the better half. :)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,483 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Wowsa! I'm guessing later stages of nursing school? Don't those books tell you somewhere in there how critical sleep is to the brain and body??? (hugs)

Yeah, last semester of my ADN. I'll graduate December, be an RN come January (I'm an LPN currently). And I try to sleep, but I suffer intermittent insomnia and I'm suffering from it right now. I'm almost to the point of sleeping pills again