What's on *your* GPS watch?

Options
7lenny7
7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
I have a Garmin Forerunner 305 and I think I have the screens close to being set up to display I like, but I'm interested in hearing from other runners and what they have displayed. Perhaps I'll see something different that makes more sense for me.

On my "default" screen (which I have up 98% of the time)
Pace
Pace - Lap
Distance
HR

On the next screen I have
Pace
Pace - Avg
Pace - Lap
Pace - Last Lap

On the third screen I have:
HR
HR - Avg
HR - Lap
Time Elapsed

Replies

• alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    I only use one of my screens for now, but I've got:
    Elapsed Time
    Distance
    Avg Pace
    Instantaneous Pace

I probably should set up a screen with clock-time because sometimes I'm running and wondering if I have time for another mile or if I need to head home! =P
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I have the FR 220, which has 3 displays on the main screen. I use: Total Time, Total Distance, HR. I can scroll to a second screen with more parameters, but I rarely use it. If I do not wear my HRM, I put Pace in that field, but I kind of like not knowing my pace as I run. Of course, I always have a general idea of my avg pace by knowing my distance and time, but I found that my running improved greatly when I learned not to get hung up on my pace and just try and stay in my desired HR zone.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I have three parameters. On my usual screen they are elapsed time, current pace, and distance. I have another screen which just has lap time and lap pace on it. I often use that one while racing (especially marathons), so I can focus on the mile I'm doing at the time and not think about the total time.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    On the first screen I display:
    1. Total time
    2. Distance
    3. Lap time

On the second screen I have:
    1. Overall pace
    2. Distance
    3. Lap pace

I don't like to see my paces while I'm running, because I get too numbers-motivated rather than focusing on effort and feel. But on longer runs or races, I like to distract myself by doing time math and estimating pace, overall time, etc. so I keep the paces on the second screen to double-check my mental math :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    1. Total time
    2. Distance
    3. Lap time

1. Overall pace
    2. Distance
    3. Lap pace

I don't like to see my paces while I'm running, because I get too numbers-motivated rather than focusing on effort and feel. But on longer runs or races, I like to distract myself by doing time math and estimating pace, overall time, etc. so I keep the paces on the second screen to double-check my mental math :)

I'm the same way. I go too fast just because of the time instead of how I feel. I've gotten in trouble more than once.
    My coach actually said the mental math thing is good. It is a distraction that keeps those negative thoughts from creeping in. Guess your brain can't do two things at once.
    I am also terrible at mental math while running. LOL. I've made some pretty terrible calculations both in estimated time left to make a PR and distance.

OP
    Good question. I'm still figuring mine out.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have a Garmin 620, with 4 fields available.

Screen 1:
    1. Total distance
    2. Total time
    3. Current pace
    4. Average pace

I use this most of the time, mostly to know when I need to slow down. It's vital when I'm pacing the 8:30 pace group, to keep from being too far off target. My pet peeve with Garmin is that it insists on saying "best pace" when it ought to say "fastest pace." If I'm targeting a pace of 8:30, a reported pace of 6:55 is *NOT* my best pace. It's either a data glitch (may they be few!) or a total lapse of discipline on my part (may they be fewer!).

Screen 2:
    1. Lap distance
    2. Lap time
    3. Lap pace
    4. Last lap pace

I look at this mostly when doing intervals. For workouts like, 2 miles @MP then 1 mile @T, I'll just let autolap tell me the miles and use this to see the results by mile. It's more important for shorter intervals, track work, and irregular intervals like 4 x (0.5 mile @I with 2 minutes recovery).

Screen 3:
    1. Heart rate
    2. Average HR
    3. HR %Max
    4. Cadence

I rarely look at this screen. I used to look at it for heart rate while cooling down; now that I also have a Vivofit 2, I can set the Vivofit to show heart rate and not use another field on the 620. That will change with cold weather, when the Vivofit will be under the long sleeves.

I'm still open to changing what's on the screens, if it becomes apparent that something I don't have now is more useful than something I'm showing.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin 620 and have trimmed the displays to:

1) Distance | Total Time (I use this one the least)
    2) Heart Rate | Cadence (I tend to use this one mostly, especially in the first five km)
    3) Heart Rate | Pace (use this one often, especially when running tempo)
    4) <off>

I prefer having only two values on a screen - makes them larger and easier to see at a glance.

Every km the watch tells me what my average pace was for the preceding km and total distance so I don't feel the need to refer to either of those values in a screen.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback so far! Interesting to see how other runners approach this. I imagine this is something that will change as my running experience increases.

I should mention for those that aren't familiar with it that the 305 has 3 screens you can scroll through, and each can have up to 4 values. I'm considering reducing the number of values I have displayed so they're easier to read (fewer values = bigger digits).

I should start making a mental note after each run which field I used the most, which field I didn't, and which field I wish I had easier access to. I'm also thinking about making one screen a race screen, but then I race so rarely that it would be easy enough to reconfigure the fields just for a race.

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I should start making a mental note after each run which field I used the most, which field I didn't, and which field I wish I had easier access to. I'm also thinking about making one screen a race screen, but then I race so rarely that it would be easy enough to reconfigure the fields just for a race.

Yes, over time you may notice that something else is more useful. The last change I made was on my screen two, where I swapped out Last Lap Time for Last Lap Pace. It didn't matter when all the laps were one mile long, but it matters on variable length laps. What you notice will probably be different, and based on your own needs and interests.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    With my Garmin 225 it will tell me my mile times once I hit them so I never use the lap time field. My main screen has cadence, pace & HR which I typically use for training and easy run. I've run most of my courses so many times i know the length of the run so the distance in training isn't necessary. The secondary screen has distance, timer & average pace. This is the screen I most often use for races or tempo runs. I had a 305 before but never used the 4 function display because it cut the timer to hh/mm after 1 hour so i never knew the sec position. Not a big deal but a small pet peeve i had with it when in the 4 function mode.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I use Pebble watch to display Endomondo from my phone. One screen - time, distance, hr. Every half mile I get a pop up showing time for the previous half mile (I use this to gauge my pace without having to think :smiley: ). I prefer to keep things simple.
  • SW345
    SW345 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin FR220.

Screen 1:
    Distance
    Pace
    Cadence (very important to me)

Screen 2:
    HR (I have the Scosche monitor that I wear on my other wrist)
    Average Pace
    Timer

I keep Screen 1 displayed at all times. I may briefly switch to Screen 2 from time to time if I'm wearing the HR monitor or to check my total time.

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Garmin 920xt:

For a regular run I use Instant Pace, Lap (mile) Pace, Distance and Time
    If I am doing intervals then I use my second screen which has Instant Pace, Lap Pace, Lap Distance and Lap Time.

Depending on the workout I may or may not turn off autolap.

Screen 3 has my HR, but I generally don't pay attention to it, which is why it's way out there all alone on a third screen.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Screen 1 has:
    Total Distance
    Elapsed Time
    Current Pace
    Heart Rate

Screen 2 has:
    Average Pace
    Total Ascent
    Average Cadence

It's not very often that I look at Screen 2. And for trail runs on screen 2 I have Average Pace, Total Ascent, and Elevation.
  • mwyvr
    Options
    ^^^ I wish I had elevation, partly for route finding.

If I had to buy a watch again, I'd probably get a tri watch with up-loadable GPS directions and an altimeter. I did not anticipate how much I would come to enjoy running in the mountains. When running in new areas it'd be nice to have course directions at times.
  • MadFatRunner
    MadFatRunner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    FR220

screen one:
    distance
    pace
    lap time

screen two:
    timer
    calories
    avg pace
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    ^^^ I wish I had elevation, partly for route finding.

If I had to buy a watch again, I'd probably get a tri watch with up-loadable GPS directions and an altimeter. I did not anticipate how much I would come to enjoy running in the mountains. When running in new areas it'd be nice to have course directions at times.

I used the "Return to Start" feature on my 310XT to get me and my dad unlost when we were backpacking last year and had gone off trail. It was pretty awesome.

I now have a Fenix 3 and I just absolutely love it.
  • mwyvr
    Options
    I'm thinking a return to start feature could be useful for someone in my family ... in the city!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Garmin FR220

Screen 1
    Distance
    Timer
    Lap pace

Screen 2
    Cadence
    Avg Pace
    Heart Rate

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Fenix 3
    Im using Runner Window fields with:

Time
    CAD
    Avg Pace
    Dist
    HRR%
    Pace

I also use a 2 screen set up
    1. Total time
    2. Distance
    3. Avr Page
    4. HR

1. Lap Pace
    2. Lap Distance
    3. HR
    4. Lap Time

but I'm not happy about the pace settings I'm using, need to set those to Inst. Page and Lap Pace.

I use pace and HR to keep my self from going too fast.
    2nd screen is useful when I set up a first "lap" as a warm up. Lap data then becomes the actual run.