What are you going to eat during the holidays?

Options
blacktie347
blacktie347 Posts: 109 Member
edited December 2015 in Social Groups
Stick to the plan? Eat regular carbs in moderation? Or the heck with dieting ... it's the holidays!

My in-laws are here to visit, but I'm going to try to stick to my diet - I'm already finding it super hard. I don't want to lose all of my progress! :#

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I am SO HAPPY to say Christmas has been cancelled this year for us. This is the first time in my whole life that we've missed a year as no one could be bothered doing it lol Christmas has just always been an expensive and stressful time of year for me!

In answer to your question, my diet would have gone out the window on Christmas day and for a couple of days afterward while we finished the left overs, and then I would have jumped back on the horse.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I plan to stay low carb but I wouldn't be surprised if I fall out of ketosis for a couple of days. I will avoid the sugary and carby foods but I will partake in LCHF treats I make and enjoy the foods available... within reason.
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Christmas Eve, I will stay on plan. Christmas Day is still undecided as my FIL takes us all to IHOP for breakfast. If I do go off, it will only be for breakfast that day. Going to avoid the candy I make for our kids and nieces and nephew. I am only making enough for their goodie stockings. I usually make a ton of candy at Christmas, but not this year. The bites and nibbles of taste testing aren't worth it to me.
  • Couchpotato39
    Couchpotato39 Posts: 691 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm going to indulge on Christmas Day but only that day. Not going to go carb crazy but I do plan on having a piece of chocolate cake.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Not planning to do anything different on Christmas day. Same as any other keto day. This year food is a non issue for all the holidays and seasonal birthdays. That was my goal since before Halloween. If I want to indulge it will be in another area. Really planning on keeping it simple.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    SoosannahK wrote: »
    ...my FIL takes us all to IHOP for breakfast. If I do go off, it will only be for breakfast that day.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/841629/

;)
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    SoosannahK wrote: »
    ...my FIL takes us all to IHOP for breakfast. If I do go off, it will only be for breakfast that day.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/841629/

;)

Can't get the video to load :/

Is it the same as this one?

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/d846044246/jim-gaffigan-on-ihop-from-standupfan?_cc=__t___&_ccid=fpupt3.nzfnn8
  • blacktie347
    blacktie347 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

Hi, I didn't mean to threadjack the other one; I'm focusing on the holidays in general, not just Xmas - so this includes New Years, Christmas Eve, etc etc.

Like today I went off my diet since my in-laws are here, and I just polished off a tray of blueberry muffins. LOL I think I inhaled them! :O
  • marlamp10
    marlamp10 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've been doing LCHF since Oct. 3 and only broke it slightly for Thanksgiving, and to take two bites of a good friend's birthday cake a few days after. The "break" on Thanksgiving was to sample a bite of dressing and two small pieces of the desserts my DIL's brought. Other than that, I had turkey, ham, fauxtatoes, and hot artichoke dip. And I made a keto pumpkin pie with whipped cream, so I even had "leftovers" that made me happy, lol. That's what really sold me that this is doable. And I even stayed in moderate ketosis through those indulgences.

(Have to say, I tried a dressing recipe with keto bread and it did not impress)

Today, we had our annual company Christmas luncheon, and I again just had the meats, green vegetables, a salad, and coffee with cream for dessert. It wasn't even a huge challenge to bypass the dessert buffet. I knew I had a keto "dessert" waiting at home. And we also had a birthday cake at the office this afternoon as well. In my life, there's "special" food around the corner almost every day. At some point, I just have to say NO.

So I don't think Christmas will be much different. For the last several years, I haven't cooked a big dinner for Christmas Day. My sons are generally with their SOs' families for lunch, then they join me late Christmas afternoon. We're going to go to a Chinese buffet, then celebrate with Star Wars. :) If I decide to indulge anywhere, it might be there, but probably won't do much more than maybe have a cocktail or glass of wine with dinner.

Right now, the delicious foods I'm eating equal or beat just about anything else I would indulge in. The cravings for anything else have been little or none, so it's hard to consider messing with. The idea of losing a few lbs over the holidays is more tempting.

• ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I will treat it just like thanksgiving and stay on track but allow myself to eat at maintenance. I only stalled 2 days after that and back on track with loss. Eating LCHF keeps me from getting hungry/craving so it's not hard to stick with the plan. Even when cooking for the whole family that's not on the diet lol good luck!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm on the fence... :confused:
    On the one hand, we eat foods we don't have any other time of the year on Christmas Eve. Christmas day is just chips and endless subs, which I don't give a fig about. I can grab a bowlful of meat and cheese and be done. Then my b-day comes on New Year's which is usually a ton of pizza and cake.

Yeah there are keto versions of some things, but they take forever to make. What's the point in busting my rear making dishes only I am going to eat?

Unfortunately, it takes me 5 days or more to lose the water weight I gain from a cheat. But It would be nice to not have to obsess over very bite I put in my mouth on those days.

I haven't decided. And probably won't until Christmas Eve.
    We have a thing on Sunday the family does called "Girls Day Out," they have one for the boys, too. All the girls in the family go out together to eat and shop for Xmas. Same for the boys. I'm definitely staying on-plan for that.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I'll be prepping for a colonoscopy that I procrastinated on earlier in the year. I hope Santa brings some cute shoes to cheer me up.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »
    Nothing. I'll be prepping for a colonoscopy that I procrastinated on earlier in the year. I hope Santa brings some cute shoes to cheer me up.

That's no fun at all. Poor you!
  • Couchpotato39
    Couchpotato39 Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I plan to stick with low carb foods (meat and veggies) but I am going to have some real dessert on Christmas Day. I don't really plan on going off plan otherwise. As a special treat, I have been roasting pecans with butter and salt and using it as a sub for sweets this month. Very good and satisfying but you have to be careful not to go overboard on portion sizes.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    We are hosting both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day this year at our home...

Christmas Eve : My family's homemade cabbage stuffed perogies (only will eat one or two) Salmon loaf with creamed peas and a baked white fish. maybe a small ham for the non fish people.

Christmas Day: With the In-Laws, Prime Rib roast, mashed cauliflower and my mother in law is bringing the rest of the carby sides which I won't eat. I am saving for some wine :smile:

One of the dinners I will make low carb cheesecake.

I have been working really hard so I don't want to blow it. A few cheat meals for me and I am up on the scale and very bloated. So I will try my best!

New Years my Family usually has a pork roast with sauerkraut and canned tomatoes so that is pretty low carb anyway!
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Turkey, lots of gravy and a hot brown and serve roll or two. Nothing fancy, probably no keto desserts either. I just dont have the time or energy (or oven space) to make myself different food those days.
  • anapplefortheteacher
    Options
    We're traveling to see my in-laws, so I won't get much say on the meals they make. I'm going to stick to the plan as much as possible.

It'll be a 15 hr drive, so I'll pack Lara bars, carrots, and grapes for the road.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »

That's no fun at all. Poor you!

I'm simmering up some clear broth so I'll have something homemade and delicious.
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to stick with my new WOE as much as possible. My wife is making a turkey for our main holiday meal and I will eat plenty with gravy. I will indulge in a couple bites of stuffing. The one thing that I'm struggling with is her baking. She is a phenomenal baker! She makes one particular cooking (chocolate chunk shortbread) that is my absolute fav. I'm toying with the idea of having just one. I worry that it could lead to many more and so on and so on....