Pancreatitis, Anyone?

Options
mandycat223
mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
That's a question, not an offer. Having just spent six days in the hospital, having morphine pumped into me every four hours, I can assure you no one in his/her right mind would want pancreatitis.

The question is "If you have had pancreatitis in the past, either acute or chronic, what was your take on the suggested "low fat" diet?" Going low fat seems to be the medical profession's default recommendation for everything but a broken leg, so I'm not sure where to go on this.

Just a side note: During my six day stay, I got no food at all for four days, keeping body and soul alive on whatever could be dripped into me intravenously. The morning after I got home, I weighed myself. I GAINED A POUND!!!!! Ain't that a kick in the pants?

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you had to go through that. I had an IV drip for a different procedure and gained 9lbs. It's the sodium. 4 days or so later, it was gone.

No idea about pancreatitis, but this might help:
    http://drjamescarlson.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-response-to-question-about-low-carbs.html
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    :( That sound horrendous. I hope you are feeling better now.

I'm afraid I don't have any advice for you. Hopefully someone can help you.

I too bet that pound was from salt retention from the glucose drip which caused water retention. Just water. No worries.
  • Becca211H
    Becca211H Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The weight gain is certainly from the iv fluids. I had pancreatitis 20 years ago. I have always been sensitive to very greasy food, but I have done fine on low carb/high fat. I would recommend talking to your doctor and starting slow.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 984 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hi,

Yes it is all the IV fluid with sodium. You will lose this...don't worry. Remember: our body weight is between 40-60% fluids. You probably are holding on to an extra 3-4 lbs at least of fluids. Are your fingers puffy at all? Keep drinking fluids and it will actually help you move the fluid out of your body. Not good if you get dehydrated at this point. Low fat soups and broth can be your best friend. Don't worry about weight or holding onto fluids. You body needs fluids and rest.

Sorry about the bout with Pancreatitis. It is one of the most painful diseases out there. It is also very serious...especially as chronic pancreatitis may lead to pancreatic cancer. I would follow closely what is recommended. If your pancreatitis was caused by gall stones they do want you on a lower fat diet. I would watch foods like cheese and choose a lower fat protein source (fish & Chicken) until you are recovered. Take is easy and nurture your pancreas and body. Just because the pain is less or gone does not mean your pancreas is fully recovered. I hope you have a good Dr. to help you through this.

Let us know how you are doing. The Mayo clinic has some good info: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/pancreatitis/basics/treatment/con-20028421
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Sorry to hear you had to go through that. I had an IV drip for a different procedure and gained 9lbs. It's the sodium. 4 days or so later, it was gone.

No idea about pancreatitis, but this might help:
    http://drjamescarlson.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-response-to-question-about-low-carbs.html

That is a fabulous article!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    removed
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    It depends on the cause of your pancreatitis. The usual culprits are gallstones, or the pancreatic juices can develop crystals that prevent drainage of the digestive juices (amylase and lipase are two substances in the "juice" that are for digesting nutrients) into the upper portion of the small intestine. An endoscopy (ERCP/Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography) is needed to fully diagnose this. Pancreatitis can be diagnosed through the lab tests of amylase and lipase though. I don't have any idea if this is keto related, but I can't advocate a low fat diet as treatment either. Imo, a select few members of the population get any benefit from eating low fat!

I hope you feel better!!
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Since my initial question, I've done a couple of things.

Followed the advice of one of the doctors at the hospital, who ordered me to pee like a horse. Done. Three pounds gone in two days.

Purchased and read a book describing the "Specific Carbohydrate Diet." I knew a little bit about this regimen because it's recommended for those with Crohn's Disease, which I've been dealing with for almost 15 years. It's a low-carb WOE but really, really stringent and very, very demanding. (Which is probably why I've never done more research on the topic before now.) If I go that route, my fat intake will decrease dramatically since it eliminates 99% of the few processed foods I still eat and all dairy except butter, homemade yogurt and certain cheeses. Farewell, my lovely cream.

Many thanks to everyone who responded. This has been a trying experience but I'm feeling 10,000 times better than I did this time last week.

P.S. I'm confident the advice about "asking my doctor" about nutrition and food choices was well meant. But my faith in doctors when it comes to lifestyle changes, i.e. anything not requiring fancy equipment, a prescription pad or a scalpel, is nil. If I can get a reliable recommendation for a nutritionist, that will be a good thing.