training some hill running.

Options
MNLittleFinn
MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
So,

My HM is still 5 months off, but in addition to base building, I'm already starting to do some planning for my training.

Here's a look at the course profile:
iy0736iw5we4.png

Strava gives me a 499 elevation gain for the course. Currently, my highest elevation run has 221 over an 8 mile run. I'm wondering, what can I do to train for the course, but also to integrate into my normal running so it's not "just" for the HM. I've thought of doing a repeat on one of my courses, I have a 1/4 mile section that i is at 6-7% grade. Would doing a repeat on that section, as part of a medium or long run (4-7) miles be something worth doing?

here's one possible course, I've set up as an example. The repeat is at the far end, after an about 1.2 mile jog, and then a bunch of repeats and an easy jog back to where I started. https://www.strava.com/routes/4697600

Replies

• ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Ya it will help. I'd do the repeats on one of you're easy days. And I would just run them at marathon pace not sprints.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »
    Ya it will help. I'd do the repeats on one of you're easy days. And I would just run them at marathon pace not sprints.

That's what I'll do then, I can do the repeats any number of times, of course, so I think I'll put them into my rotation for one of my week day runs and leave that run a little shorter just in case.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    ROBOTFOOD wrote: »

Sounds good!
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thanks @ROBOTFOOD and @Stoshew71

How's this look? https://www.strava.com/routes/4715154

I'm doing 4 miles for my easy runs right now, 5 total days a week 4 easy plus long run, and I'm thinking about putting this repeat into my Wednesday run, sandwiched between my easier Tuesday and Thursday runs. I get like a .75 mile warm up, then do the hill 3 times and finish by looping around back to near where I started.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Looks like some very nice hill repeats!

One thing that came to my mind when I looked at your route: if I turn back around and ran back the way I came multiple times, I loose motivation quickly. For me, running little loops is much easier, because I fell more like I'm actually going somewhere. So if it was me, I'd probably run the parallel streets to make the run a little more interesting, for example like this:
    https://www.strava.com/routes/4723830
    -- just from looking at the maps. I don't know the area, so maybe you have a reason for sticking to the same road for all repetitions. I just wanted to throw the suggestion in here. Loops vs there-and-back is a matter personal taste, so just do what you like best! :)

• MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Going parallel wouldn't be a problem. The route I set up was just an example of my thought process.