Squats problem

Options
CM_73
CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
edited January 2017 in Social Groups
New lifter here, I've been following the SL5X5 app since the end of last Year.
Today, squats were at 85KG (187lbs) and I had to stop after 3 sets due to a pain in my right knee.
It actually started getting a bit sore on the last session (Sunday) at 82.5KG but only halfway through the last set so I managed to finish those without issue.
I think this time though, I may have reached the limit of my clapped out knees.

Thing is, I have a way to go yet on the other lifts so don't want to drop the program completely.
Should I deload by dropping 10KG on squats and slowly working back up until I'm failing on everything else? Or maybe just go for more reps at a lighter weight?
I don't really need to work my legs so much as they're pretty big from cycling, but I do like the whole body workouts that squats seem to give.

Any advice appreciated!

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,166 Member
    Options
    I'll let @SideSteel comment regarding programming, but what kind of footwear are you using? I recently switched to using Chuck Taylor's rather than sneakers, and OMG, the difference is unbelievable! Before my squat sessions typically became a question of whether my knees would be a limiting factor each day, but with these new shoes I haven't even felt my knees at all. Not even once.

Not saying you have to get Chuck Taylor's specifically, but not all shoes are created equal when it comes to squatting.
  • CM_73
    Options
    Thanks for that.
    The shoe I was using today? honestly? As I cycled in today, I used the thick, spongy soled trail running shoes I keep at work... Have now ordered a pair of Chick Taylors converse all-stars!
    I had been meaning to get some better shoes, but hadn't considered that it might be impacting my knee as well.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I would drop the weight below the threshold at which you experience pain and I would build volume there. In other words, don't train through pain -- and so if you reduce the weight and build back up and start to experience pain again, stop.

That being said I would also suggest posting a video or two (side view at knee height, front view such that I can see your entire body including contact between the feet and floor) so I or a few other people can monitor technique in case anything obvious sticks out from a technique standpoint.
  • CM_73
    Options
    Perfect, I'll do that then.
    Thanks again,
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Yeah, spongy shoes are awful for any lifting other than maybe bench press. They let your feet do dumb things.

As for the Chucks: I swore by them forever, and my squat kept sucking. Turns out I have disproportionately long femurs. Decided to take a piece of Wendler's advice and invest in a pair of lifting shoes. Instantly stopped my squats from turning into inadvertent good mornings with collaping knees under heavy weight.
  • StephieWillcox
    StephieWillcox Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Yeah, spongy shoes are awful for any lifting other than maybe bench press. They let your feet do dumb things.

As for the Chucks: I swore by them forever, and my squat kept sucking. Turns out I have disproportionately long femurs. Decided to take a piece of Wendler's advice and invest in a pair of lifting shoes. Instantly stopped my squats from turning into inadvertent good mornings with collaping knees under heavy weight.

^ I agree with this. I dunno what the F my problem is but knees track straight in lifting shoes (I have the adidas powerlifts) and not in anything else although I use chucks for every other exercise. Do itttttt
  • CM_73
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thanks all, sorry for the delay, finally got a video.
    I've got a couple more from different angles if needed.
    Apologies for the socks, I really don't care what I look like in the gym, as long as I go!
    Edit to add, I normally wear my chucks now, but this was a weekend visit and I couldn't be bothered to go in to work to get them!
    (the chucks made no difference to my knees)

https://youtu.be/_oD9x0NavRg
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Technique isn't bad here necessarily. It is quite narrow as far as stance width. That's not necessarily a problem, however you may want to widen it a bit and see if it feels better.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking if you have knee pain you might be putting too much weight on your toes. Watch your heels in that video above, you can see your heel lifting off the floor slightly at the bottom of each rep. That's what gave me a ton of knee pain before I realized what was happening.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Agreed with both SS and DIU. That stance might even be closer than when I (used to) front squat. Front squats always gave my right knee problems the day after, so I don't do them any more. I might try them again with a wider stance at some point. I'm not entirely sure if stance width had anything to do with it, but I kinda think it might have. Give it a shot with your feet about 3-4" further apart than they are.

Additionally, it looks like your knees are traveling inside your toes, as opposed to inline with them. Try pushing out a little more, so that your knees track over toes, not inside them. That may also help keep your heels down, as there won't be an additional moment/torque on the ankle.
  • CM_73
    Options
    Many thanks all, will try again and report back
  • CM_73
    Options
    Many thanks all, tried again today, wider stance and apart from a couple of minor twinges...no pain at all!
    I really struggle to see where my knees are going during the squat, but I'll keep on trying to make sure they're tracking my toes.

I don't know if this was pain free because I haven't done them for a little while, but it certainly felt a lot better so I'm hopeful that might be a cure or at least allow me to keep on doing them even if I end up stuck on a relatively light weight :)
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,166 Member
    Options
    My knees always give me less trouble with sumo squats than regular. Combined with the bar choking me, it pretty much rules out front squats for me loll.
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Thehardmakesitworthit Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I find using an empty bar in front of the mirror while I do warm up helps me to feel/see where my knees are pointing during the squat..... IDK but your vid looks GREAT! Good work man!