Weekly Post 23.04. - 29.04.17

Options
KateNkognito
KateNkognito Posts: 1,520 Member
Just thought I'd start this. :)
Last week wasn't great, but I managed a slight loss. This week should be better. Planning Monday and Thursday fast days.
I already have my food mapped out and most of our meals prepped. I have never been one to do meal prep for the week but I kind of accidentally fell into it the last couple of weeks and it is working so far. I cook the meats ahead of time and have veggies all ready to go in the fridge/freezer and then I just have to make a side. I can also portion stuff out for my lunches the next day.
I hope you all have a great week!

Replies

• flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Thanks Kate!

Had a very full weekend and was at a seminar yesterday. I was exhausted afterwards but so happy about the outcome. The emotional distress of the last month just fell off. I've been working on the same issue for 15yrs, on and off. Just never got to the root to solve it. Big bang yesterday. It shook me from top to bottom and I balled my head off :'( . Came out of it all smiling :) . Needed to fall deep to get up again and am ready for all of the new stuff coming my way!

My vacation is over. So glad I had last week off! Working and fasting again! Weight went up a bit during my week off. Wasn't too bad until this morning...up another kg overnight, but that's the salt in the meals at the restaurant yesterday. Fast today should take care of the water. Not sure how to fit in another one, so I might just go for two lower days on Wednesday and Thursday if I don't feel like a B2B tomorrow.

Have a great week and happy fasting!
  • flossyruby1
    flossyruby1 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Hey all! It's been a tough couple of weeks. I'm sooooo unmotivated these days. I haven't really even been fasting, which hasn't happened in the 4 years I've been doing this. And it's definitely showed on the scale. I saw a number on the scale I haven't seen in a long time and, while it shook me up, I'm not sure it's going to kick my butt in gear. My motivation waning has bled into other areas...dance, home management, pretty much everything. I'm not sure of what it's going to take to light a fire, but I need something. I've been meditating, which is helpful. My impending birthday might be contributing to it. Most people look forward to it, but as the years march on, I don't. Ugh...sorry for the Debbie Downer post.
  • Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,958 Member
    Options
    Hi All!
    I have been trying to write something for the past few hours, but have been slammed at work!
    Boo!
    Sorry to hear some of us are struggling. You are in my thoughts. I can relate... I had hit a "bottom" back in February, and felt it was time to find a new plan and get back on the wagon. I had lost. Then had kept gaining and could not find my way... Next thing you know here I am. I am grateful for 5:2 and for all of you!
    Today is a Light Day for me. Weekend was pretty good. We took Friday off at the gym but got there Saturday and Sunday! Going to aim to get there each day this week. BF is already at his goal that he had set for himself for our vacation. Very happy for him! I am hopefully heading towards my goal, I have 11 days to hit my goal of losing five or six pounds. I think I should be okay I think since I started hitting the gym. Either way I will be happy to be honest because my bathing suit looks better on me, as do my summer clothes! We are off to Mexico for a week beginning May 6. Can't wait!
    Going to sign off for now and will check in again soon.
    Have a good one! :)
  • flossyruby1
    Options
    Successful fast yesterday. After rereading my pathetic post, I found myself inadvertently not very hungry, which sort of turned into a fast. I decided to take advantage of it. I'm thinking of doing a 4:3 this week, despite unsuccessful attempts in the past. But I cannot go backwards and regain. So, that right there may incentivize me to stay strong while fasting W and F. I can't fast Thursday due to lunch plans. I've had some things weighing on my mind that I was able to verbalize yesterday, which helped. Nothing big, just your average midlife crisis :p . Rather than have one big one, I like to space mine out over time. So while I'm not in the best of places right now, I do recognize that gaining weight will not help and will add to the stress. So I'm hoping my efforts this week will help with that and allow me to greet my birthday at a reasonable weight.
  • Meghan509
    Options
    You got this Flossyruby1! You can do it. Stay strong.

I hopped on the scale this AM and was pleasantly surprised at being down a pound and a half! Very happy! Feeling good and wearing an older / smaller pair of work pants today that I have not worn in a LONG time... I do have a bit of a "muffin top" but I am wearing a loose sweater with them so you can't tell. LOL I had tried them on, just to see and said oh heck why not - they fit! :smiley:

Hope everybody is good. Check in soon.
  • flossyruby1
    Options
    That's a total win, Meghan!!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    That's a total win, Meghan!!

Thanks!! :) The true test is after breakfast and lunch they still feel okay and not ready to burst. LOL
  • flossyruby1
    Options
    I'm aiming for my second fast day today. I'm not hungry this morning, which is a nice change and leads me to believe the hunger I've been feeling the past few weeks is "mind hunger". I had a nice loss yesterday after my Monday FD, which was probably mostly water. But still. I'll take it. I've also gone back to tracking, trying to keep things simple. I'm not good with overcomicating things and going back to basics keeps me grounded. I just forget to do it sometimes!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good for you flossyruby1! Congrats on your loss. :smile:

I am with you, tracking does help. Before I started 5:2 I started tracking using MFP and that helped. My guy did the same thing. Calories are really eye opening. I think that is why a lot of people are overweight and get overweight. Society sure does not make it easy. We don't live in a state where calories are listed on restaurant menus (at least larger chains have to list them in some states). I think McDonald's and some others are the only ones. I wish we did have them. So when we go out you have to use your best judgement as to what is healthy and what is not. I am pretty good at know what is good and what is not as good these days. But a lot of people don't know or don't care. Having the calories on the menu would make people more accountable!
    Sorry for my rant. LOL

Hopped on the scale this AM and was down another pound. Very happy with my progress on 5:2 to date. I am down 15 pounds now. :)

Have a good day.
  • katiekabootle
    katiekabootle Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi! :) I'm Katie, and I've been overweight my entire life.

I recently decided to get serious (once again) about losing weight, and reinstalled MFP after years of ignoring it. I didn't realize the app would still have my old data. I was 13.8 pounds heavier then the last time I logged in. Instead of being upset, I used the realization as fire for my motivation and made losing that number my first mini-goal.

After watching Dr. Mosley's, "Eat, Fast, and Live Longer," I was fascinated, and decided to try the 5:2 Diet. Regular, constant calorie restriction always left me feeling frustrated, so I figured, "What do I have to lose?" by trying fasting.

I recently completed my first month of this diet with daily weigh-in's and calorie logging, and excercise 3-4 times a week. From March 26th-April 26th I have lost 12.8 pounds. I'm a little shocked tbh!! Haha. I am very pleased with this beginning. Nothing else has ever worked this effectively for me before. While I still have 1lb to lose, I am already setting my next mini-goal: Lose 15lbs between April 26th-June 26th before going to California for vacation.

I tend to be a bit of a lurker, but I am glad I found this group for motivation and recipe suggestions.

Keep it up, everyone!
  • 06cindy
    06cindy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi! :) I'm Katie, and I've been overweight my entire life.

I recently decided to get serious (once again) about losing weight, and reinstalled MFP after years of ignoring it. I didn't realize the app would still have my old data. I was 13.8 pounds heavier then the last time I logged in. Instead of being upset, I used the realization as fire for my motivation and made losing that number my first mini-goal.

After watching Dr. Mosley's, "Eat, Fast, and Live Longer," I was fascinated, and decided to try the 5:2 Diet. Regular, constant calorie restriction always left me feeling frustrated, so I figured, "What do I have to lose?" by trying fasting.

I recently completed my first month of this diet with daily weigh-in's and calorie logging, and excercise 3-4 times a week. From March 26th-April 26th I have lost 12.8 pounds. I'm a little shocked tbh!! Haha. I am very pleased with this beginning. Nothing else has ever worked this effectively for me before. While I still have 1lb to lose, I am already setting my next mini-goal: Lose 15lbs between April 26th-June 26th before going to California for vacation.

I tend to be a bit of a lurker, but I am glad I found this group for motivation and recipe suggestions.

Keep it up, everyone!

That is very inspiring, thank you for sharing!! I'm on week 3 of 5:2. Congratulations on your wins, keep it up and please keep us posted!
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Congratulations Meghan and Katie - great progress! I only visit the message boards sporadically but have been doing this for a couple years with success. Like FlossyRuby, I am in a bit of a slump but I know when I follow the recommendations this way of eating (plus exercise) works. I have been practicing meditation also which has been a positive way to focus on my overall health. I am still at a good size and am guilty of buying too many cute clothes! I find I do better with eating, activity and less buying stuff if I stay away from the computer so I'm just doing a brief check in and wishing everyone continued success. :)
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Welcome Katie! We are glad you came out of the shadows and shared your great news! Keep up the good work! Congrats!

Thank you sanjoparolas! Sorry you are in a bit of a slump. I know what you mean about cute clothes! They are what helped get me back on track! The fact that some are fitting now is exciting! Can't wait to try on some of my smaller jeans this weekend to see what fits! I have a feeling I am going to have good news. ;)

Today is a light day for me. Second one of the week. Feeling pretty good. No issues to report. Planning to hit the gym again after work. Lately we have been taking Fridays off and tomorrow we plan to do the same. A week and a day until we head out on vacation. I can't believe how fast it has flown.

Have a good one and check in with you soon. :)
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Hi everybody.
    Hope you all are having a good Friday.
    Beautiful day here on the east coast of the US. :) Finally!!! Sat outside during lunch today which was nice. Our office set up tables and chairs outside. We like to eat outside in the summer months and catch some rays.
    Hopped on the scale this AM and was down another pound. Woo hoo! So this week I am down around two and a half pounds all together. Very pleased. I would say exercise seems to be agreeing with me. BF is down a few pounds as well. He blew right through his vacation goal. His summer clothes will be fitting nicely and so will mine. Going to start trying stuff on and packing tomorrow.
    Tonight we take a night off from the gym. I am happy about that. But, not burnt out from working out, which is good too.
    Hope everybody is well. Chat with you soon.
  • 06cindy
    Options
    Does anyone log just light days? Considering it...Wondering if anyone else is doing it with success. Thanks!
  • katiekabootle
    katiekabootle Posts: 5 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    06cindy wrote: »
    Does anyone log just light days? Considering it...Wondering if anyone else is doing it with success. Thanks!

Overall, I think it's wisest to log every day simply to have as much data about your eating habits as possible. But another benefit to logging "regular days" is to make sure you're eating enough.

Everybody's goals and bodies are different, but if you go too low on those days there's a possibility the body will go into "starvation" mode and try to hold on to fat. Or if you don't have enough fuel in your tank your gains at the gym might not be as apparent.

• mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    ^^^yup, well said above... log every day.

• 06cindy
    Options
    06cindy wrote: »

Overall, I think it's wisest to log every day simply to have as much data about your eating habits as possible. But another benefit to logging "regular days" is to make sure you're eating enough.

Everybody's goals and bodies are different, but if you go too low on those days there's a possibility the body will go into "starvation" mode and try to hold on to fat. Or if you don't have enough fuel in your tank your gains at the gym might not be as apparent.

Maybe logging is good for accountabilty, I can see that. But please stop perpetuating that starvation mode is a thing, it's not. I'm surprised nobody has linked to this article yet: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
  • flossyruby1
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm afraid I have to back Cindy on the starvation myth. Of course, if you've been stranded in the Sahara for a month, then, yes, your body will start to use alternative fuel sources. But eating hypocalorically on NFD will not. I don't think anyone doing IF has any problem eating their target on NFD, so I suspect undereating isn't an issue. I would also add that most people on MFP don't have a problem with eating too little. That isn't why we are here ;)
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not one to read articles on myths etc... I agreeded with logging everyday not just fast days.