May the gainz be with you (May workout thread)

Options
I hope no one minds me starting a new thread! First day of Wendler-ish for me (using SideSteel's training plan from the ETP group).

Squats: 5 @ 105, 5 @ 115, 5 +2 @ 130
Lat pulldowns: 2x10 @ 55, 3x10 @ 50
Deadlifts: 2x8 @ 95, 1x10 @ 95
Hanging knee raises: 5x10

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    Thanks Amy! Nice title! Stronglift rest day for me. Kettlebell morning and evening and fitness test and walking during the afternoon.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,738 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Nice title! AACK I was going to post May you lift long and prosper, but yours is great. *Star Wars vs Star Trek celebrity cage match ensues*

A week ago is when something went POP in my back when I pressed too hard on a massage ball. It's still bothering me, and swimming yesterday made it worse today. My form sucks - I keep twisting my neck and trunk when my whole body should turn like a plank.

I did do some weight lifting today (although deloaded):
    Arm lateral raises (3 x 15 @ 5 lbs, 3 x 10 @ 7 lbs) and arm front raises same pattern
    Deep bodyweight squats to practically sitting on the ground. 5 sets of 5, going slowly. I can feel straining at the fronts of my ankles, mid quads and hip flexors.
    4 sets of full body pushups, 15 per set
    OHP with 5-lb dumbbells - I felt a bit of a strain in the bad spot so I didn't do more than 2 sets of 10

The pain is situated between the bottom rib and whatever back muscles are there (lats? serratus?) I don't think it's THAT severe because it didn't hurt immediately when it happened. Just that weird pop as though the ball had been compressed and popped back. That's impossible because that was a solid rubber lacrosse ball.

Got a doctor appt on Friday.

ETA: did 3 sets of OHP with 10-lb dumbbells with no problem.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    lol. i love how amy and ducky both had the same finger on the gang pulse. and thanks for both being ready to do it. i guess may is pun month.
    lkpducky wrote: »
    Just that weird pop as though the ball had been compressed and popped back. That's impossible because that was a solid rubber lacrosse ball.

you might have strained a rib, but i'm just guessing. very good idea to stay mellow with ohp until it's resolved. and maybe some ab/planking will support it and kind of distract your nervous system from noticing it so much in the meantime.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,738 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hmmm, I was thinking I should do some planking. The pushups have me tightening up the same way (a good way).
    Don't know, it could be a rib strain. The good news is that there was no discoloration. We'll see what the quack thinks. He'll probably have me x-rayed.

ETA: Planking doesn't seem to bother the spot, but I have to be very careful not to bend my back when coming out of the plank.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    Nice title! AACK I was going to post May you lift long and prosper, but yours is great. *Star Wars vs Star Trek celebrity cage match ensues*

Hahahaha that would have been a great option, too! Hope you feel better soon.
  • jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Love the new thread title! Since I'm still in injury recovery mode, I'm keeping it light with my deadlifts and OHP at home, 40lb for DL and 25 for presses. Cardio is not my friend with my old foot tendon injury flaring up for no reason.
    Honestly, I might not have a real stronglifts or any lifts workout worth posting til June. I'm traveling way too much in May to justify renewing my gym membership until June, when I'm teaching a summer class and will be forced into a nice little routine on campus (and the gym will be soo empty! Yay college gym). So anyway, I'll be lurking for a while! May the gains be with you all!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Workout A
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    BP-1X5X 45/55/65, 5X5X 75
    BR-1X5X 85

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-3X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-12X10X 35

40lbs loss by May 27 Challenge
    Fitness Challenge
    30 push-ups
    I am focusing on building arm strength for this month.

Move More Sit Less Challenge
    I am setting my alarm for every hour to get up and move! At that time I will do some type of activity for at least 10 minutes.

Keto/LC 4 Week Challenge April 23rd - May 20th
    Day 10/28 I am focusing on drinking enough water!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Still sore as all get-up from Sunday's workout (it was just a week off body! Geez! lol), but even a maze of detours in the streets of my town wasn't gonna keep me away :)

I'm back to doing a 5/3/1 variation here. (So far calling this one the PSV : Power/Strength/Volume. I'm still tweaking the details though, so we'll see how it goes)

Power Cleans, 6 min to a heavy single (same protocol as I did for the snatch)
    85x2, 95x1, 105x1, 115x1,
    120x... a flying barbell to about belly-button level? I gave up on that one before I even actually put myself into the second pull, it wasn't worth it.

Then EMOTM x5 of triples @75% (the goal here is to get some volume to get back in the groove)
    so 87.5 x 15 total reps. Felt good!

Bench
    45x8, 65x5, 75x5,
    85x5, 95x5, 107.5x7 (I was conservative for most of the exercises, but as usual I think I overshot on the bench press a smidge. Whoops?)

P. Rows
    45x6, 65x4
    70x5, 82.5x5, 97.5x8 (I'm actually drawing a blank on the actual weights here, lol)

7 min of alternating drop lunges ladders (do 1 rep per leg, rest the same amount of time, do 2 reps, rest for the time you worked, keep increasing until you can barely complete the sets, then go back down. Went up to 7, back down to 2, total 48 reps per leg)

And as a finisher:
    10, 9, 8, 7, ..., 2, 1 for time (8:16)
    2KB sumo deadlifts (2x30)
    HR Push-Ups

This was the first workout in a while I really felt... good about. Like, I worked hard, and lifted weights, and I went after it. The sense of accomplishment feels great! =D
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    I might need to back off my accessories a little, I was shaking by the end of my workout today!

Bench press: 1x5 @ 52 (empty bar)
    5@ 67
    5+4 @72

OHP: was supposed to do 3x12 @ 40 but I had the 52 lb bar so I just used it.
    3x10 @ 52

Walking lunges: 20 (10/leg)x6 sets

Assisted pullups: 3 with counterweight at 80, 2x5 with counterweight at 95
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Squats 1x5@ 20/30/40, 5x5 @ 50 lbs. Not bad, but not perfect form.

Bench press 1x5 @ 20/30/40 5x5 @ 60 lbs. this seemed really easy today.

Barbell row 1x5 @ 30/40/50 5x5 @ 70 lbs. this was just irritating today because one of the trainers was hogging all the Olympic sized weights.

Also: 2x5 of both band assisted chin ups and pull ups.

Aaaand... I made an appointment to meet with one of the trainers at the gym to do a form check, etc. probably only wanting to check in once a month for the next few months, then if I like her, etc, I might meet with her more as I get closer to competition entry weights, and as I start to compete.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Barbell row 1x5 @ 30/40/50 5x5 @ 70 lbs. this was just irritating today because one of the trainers was hogging all the Olympic sized weights.

o.O how many of them could they need? i would swagger over and ask to take some of them back, but i get uppity after a particular point.

probably mentioned that i started playing a mafia game. whoa nelly, i knew it wouldn't go well with lifting and yeah; it doesn't. i did some place-holder stuff after work today, but i had packed my shoes and neglected the pants. sometimes lifting in dress pants goes okay, but not these particular pants. so my stuff was mostly upper-body because at least i could move my upper body :D

• krokador
    Options
    Mobility day here - I have been sore but too tired to do something about it, lol. And my lower back's acting up a bit, so it's time to get back at those hips and core muscles to fire properly.

Shred warm-up, reps halved
    Shred mobility routine, a single round
    Lying straight leg drops 2x8,
    side leg drops 2x8,
    side planks 45s/50s (2nd set I was also petting my cat, rofl),
    bird dog 10/12/15s, 15/18/20s (while hovering above cat and head booping him. Because he's such a sweetheart and loves when mommy breaks out the exercise mat and gets on the floor, for some reason. Seriously, I was getting KISSES without asking for them, just hanging out there with one leg and one arm up from the floor and quivering from the effort, and he was just alll LOOOOVVVEESSSSS <3<3<3)

aaand that 15 min hip kneeling stretch routine, too. Now I need to shower and skiddadle to work, but I figured I,d give you guys teh smiles first ;)
  • chichidachimp
    chichidachimp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi all! After my hip joint was taking a beating from the squats I've been backing away from SL to work on climbing. I'm still focusing on bodyweight (or reduced bodyweight) exercises. Yesterday I did 6 pull-up assists at 70lbs followed by 4 at 82 lbs. I'm also upping my cardio and reducing my carbs to shed fat.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    krokador wrote: »
    Mobility day here - I have been sore but too tired to do something about it, lol. And my lower back's acting up a bit, so it's time to get back at those hips and core muscles to fire properly.

Shred warm-up, reps halved
    Shred mobility routine, a single round
    Lying straight leg drops 2x8,
    side leg drops 2x8,
    side planks 45s/50s (2nd set I was also petting my cat, rofl),
    bird dog 10/12/15s, 15/18/20s (while hovering above cat and head booping him. Because he's such a sweetheart and loves when mommy breaks out the exercise mat and gets on the floor, for some reason. Seriously, I was getting KISSES without asking for them, just hanging out there with one leg and one arm up from the floor and quivering from the effort, and he was just alll LOOOOVVVEESSSSS <3<3<3)

aaand that 15 min hip kneeling stretch routine, too. Now I need to shower and skiddadle to work, but I figured I,d give you guys teh smiles first ;)

Cat assisted workouts for the win!
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Rest Day

Kettlebell Swing
    Goblet squats-3X5X 35
    Russian kettle bell swing-24X10X 35

Fitness Challenge
    30 push-ups
    I am focusing on building arm strength for this month.

I am setting my alarm for every hour to get up and move! At that time I will do some type of activity for at least 10 minutes. This is working really well for me.

Keto/LC 4 Week Challenge April 23rd - May 20th
    Day 11/28 I am focusing on drinking enough water this week!

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Squats/Upper Accessories... sorta, intermixed parts of two days

squat 2x10 @ 45, 1x8 @ 95, 1x8 @ 135, belt 1x3 @ 175 and 2x3 @ 195
    wide grip pause bench 2x8 @ 45, 1x8 @ 65 and 2x5 @ 85
    cable kickback 20 2x15
    elliptical for 20 minutes

• Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options

o.O how many of them could they need? i would swagger over and ask to take some of them back, but i get uppity after a particular point.

probably mentioned that i started playing a mafia game. whoa nelly, i knew it wouldn't go well with lifting and yeah; it doesn't. i did some place-holder stuff after work today, but i had packed my shoes and neglected the pants. sometimes lifting in dress pants goes okay, but not these particular pants. so my stuff was mostly upper-body because at least i could move my upper body :D

Right? This particular gym only has two sets. One they were using for hip thrusters, which ok - easier to put down with the oly weights. But the other was some hanging headlify trash that I didn't understand, which could have been done with the hexagon weights.

I didn't say anything because I had already taken the (only) moveable bench, and had kind of really invaded someone's space (seriously, why would you do your body weight exercises 4" from where all the small barbells are racked?)... and I felt like I was already stomping around the gym like a giant *kitten*. So there was that. Some of the trainers at this gym are incredibly stuck up, like they're god's gift to the world. Here I am thinking... you work at spalady. I could run your boot camp... Not that special! I just get so cranky about how they all hog the power racks, but don't actually use them.
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    Stronglift Workout B
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    OHP- 1X5X 45/50, 5X5X 55
    DL- 15X 95/105/115/120

Kettlebell Swing
    GobletSquats- 3X5X35
    Russian Kettlebell Swing- 14X10X35

30 push-ups

May move your @$$ Challenge
    I am going to take 2-2 mile walks today.

I am setting the timer to go off every 20 minutes to get up and move! Love the Move Your App. check it out!

Keto/LC 4 Week Challenge April 24th-May20th
    Day 12/28 drink water and stay within carbs!
  • krokador
    Options
    Been having a hard time getting my @$$ out of bed lately. I just wanna sleep in some time! But there's always somethign preventing me from doing so - either I have to get up, a cat wants food, or some noise starts making it impossible to sleep. So I need to get my butt in bed by like, 9pm tonight or something like that.. even though I have stuff to do to stay up until 11 because impromtu trip and everything always happens at once.

Anyways, today is Star Wars Day! May the Fourth be with you!

Box Jumps w/ lead step, 1 per leg EMOTM x6
    20', 21', 22'x3, 23' with LOTS of hesitation

Deadlift 120x5, 140x5, 157.5x12
    - strenght-wise, I had more reps in the tank. Fatigue-wise, my lower back has been through hell all week and it was like "Okay, pal, give me a chance to adjust to loading myself up with heavy shart before you break me, kthnxbai!".

OHP 45x5, 57.5x5, 65x9
    I usually go thumbless on OHP, but on that last set, around the 4th or 5th rep, my wrist started acting up so I had to shimmie and wrap that thumb around. Pretty sure I had 10 otherwise. Boo. Note to self: don't forget to warm-up wrists, too!

Recline row 7 min ladder; 45 reps total (max: 5)

I'll be doing those bw ladder styles for 3 weeks, hoping to break 50 for all movements! (Heck, the lungs I think I'll eradicate the rest period for the most part, maybe I can get 100? Hehe)

And KB Rx Burn #2: 9 min AMRAP
    - Sumo deadlift High Pull x9 (40lbs)
    - Squat thrust (burpee w/o push-up) x9
    - lunge jumps x9

Got 5 rounds + 9 sdlhp. Not too shabby :)
  • amyinthetardis1231
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Squats
    1×5 @ 100
    1×5 @ 115
    1×8 @ 130

Assisted pullups
    1×5 @ 85 counterweight
    2×5 @ 80 counterweight

Hanging knee raises