What do you eat on your fasting day?

Options
bethhjanee
bethhjanee Posts: 36 Member
Hello, I am starting the 5:2 diet after giving it up nearly 2 years ago. Today is my first fast day and I was just wondering what other people eat on their days?

I am thinking to have a small omelette for lunch and vegetable stir fry for tea.

Replies

• KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Welcome back to 5:2! I usually have some sort of pre-packaged snack or wrap for lunch and then a small portion of whatever I make for the rest of the family. Soup and salad can be very filling. Also, chicken and shrimp and cheese sticks. Happy fasting!
  • 06cindy
    06cindy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new so don't have too much of an established go-to yet. But I do find eating lean protein helps. I also would love to hear what others are eating on fast days! Thanks!
  • Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,967 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!
    My guy and I follow this plan so when I say "we" that is who I mean.
    We are both not big breakfast peeps. Can easily skip it. Then for lunch a nice sized salad with light / low cal dressing. Put in some low fat feta or beans for protein. Dinner lately are veggie burgers with a nice big serving of veggies. Chicken and turkey burgers work too. Lots of water, green tea and some black coffee in the AM. Everything is measured out, so we stay on plan.
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Hi, well eating on a fd depends on my mood.... but here's a few favorites,

Lunch or first meal around 1 or 2 pm:

1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese and entire Roma tomatoe sliced spiked with cracked black pepper! Yum!

"Qia" seeds & grains oatmeal made with water topped with 1/2 tsp brown sugar & tablespoon of almond milk

2 hard boiled eggs and 1/2 cup almond milk

Ryvita multigrain flatbread cracker x2 topped with a 1 1/2 tsp smear of light smoked salmon cream cheese each

8 oz glass of unsweetened almond milk and 2 dried prunes

1/2 cup shreddies with 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk

Then for dinner my favs are:

Packaged coleslaw tossed with a peanut dressing topped with scallions, chopped snap peas, diced red chili pepper, unsalted peanuts and cubes cooked chicken and a drizzle of Sriracha! So yum!

Chicken breast marinated in either balsamic dressing, or dry rub of Cajun seasonings then grilled over BBQ
    ....topped with fresh made style spicy salsa and a couple of avocado slices and garden salad with little balsamic vinegrette
    ....or served with avocado & cucumber chunks tossed with fresh lime and sliced red onion (a new fav)

Grilled salmon or pork tenderloin & salads

Spaghetti squash baked and shredded topped with "Hunts brand tomato sauce with onions, garlic and herbs" sprinkle with grated Parmesan & plain grilled chicken on the side. I've tried my good meat spaghetti sauce over the squash but I don't like it! That stuff out of the tin is excellent over the squash just plain.

I add 1/2 head roasted cauliflower to bought red Thai curry soup!

Of course homemade soups made then portioned and kept in freezer....or bought "fresh"soup, not from tins.

Those are some of my favs!
  • Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,967 Member
    Options
    Great ideas Mama! Going to have to steal some of those! ;)

I am also known to make some recipes from the 5:2 cookbook and from Pinterest. The Greek Salad is a favorite.
    It is also easy to Google low calorie recipes on Pinterest and you can come up with a goldmine of things to make. We like to keep it simple during the week, so when we get home after the gym we can easily cook / reheat and eat.