Birth control?

Options
bribucks
bribucks Posts: 431 Member
edited August 2017 in Social Groups
I hope this is ok to post here, even though it isn't directly diet-related. Hoping my fellow ladies can help me out.

My question is, do you have a birth control pill you love (or hate) and what is it? I know that there is no "cure all" and that everyone is different, but at this point, I'm ready to take any and all suggestions.

When I first started birth control in 2016, I took Loestrin (well, the generic, Microgestin) and absolutely loved it. A little moodiness the first month, but after that, I was fine. Well, manufacturers switched around or something, so I got switched to another generic (supposedly the same active ingredients as Loestrin) called Blisovi. With Blisovi, I experienced increased anxiety and weight gain.

Got a new gyncologist, explained these problems, and she suggested Taytulla since Loestrin is no longer made. First two months on Taytulla, great, no side effects. But the past 3-4 months on this pill, I have felt exhausted, unmotivated, and most of all - EXTREMELY nauseous. Looked up reviews online and discovered that not only are the reviews mostly negative, but Taytulla itself is only a year old. Clearly being a guinea pig was not meant for me. So, I'm once again searching for a new pill.

(Please note that although your personal experience may have been great, I am not at this time interested in getting an IUD or menstrual cup.)

Edited to add - I do have a dr's appointment set to make sure nothing else could be causing these symptoms, such as a vitamin deficiency.

Replies

• skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I am taking one of the older pills on the market (here it's called Swingo Mite), which is I think what they call a "second generation" one, a mix of Ethinylestradiol and Levonorgestrel. I think (I am not a doctor and not 100% sure because I live in a different country and had to look the ingredients up and they might have different names where you live) that might be closer to Loestrin (but not the same).
    For headaches/anxiety/problems: If you have that during the "break", it might help you to use additional oestrogen during that time. I have a gel that I just can put on my arms, to prevent the oestrogen down from the break if I do experience it.

Also, when I was not happy any more with my pill, the first thing my doctor tried to put me on 'the same stuff but higher estradiol' and that helped tremendously.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I know you said you're not interested in an IUD but I just wanted to tell you about my experience with a slightly different kind of birth control.

I was on Microgynon30 (Ethinylestradiol and Levonorgestrel) for years with no ill effects. Then it went out of stock and I got put on another pill that was apparently the same but gave me spotting and bad pms.

I saw that my friend had a weird patch on her leg and asked about it and it turns out it was her birth control. I had never heard about birth control in patch form before but I was intrigued so I asked about it at my next check up and was prescribed the Ortho Evra patch which is a combination of ethinylestradiol and norelgestromin. I've now been on the patch for 2 years with absolutely no complaints. It's much easier than the pill because you only have to change it once a week and then you don't think about it and my periods now only last 3 days! I stick it on my lower back so it's only noticeable If I'm wearing a bikini or a crop top with low jeans (which I very rarely do).

I am terrified that it will be discontinued though because every time I get a new prescription they have really low stock at the pharmacy. I really hope not because it has been amazing for me.
  • KelseyRL
    KelseyRL Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I use Tricylen Low. It's great for me! I switched to the generic brand for a couple months and it wasn't near as good so I switched back. I do find though, if I miss a day, especially in the first week, and have to double-up pills for a day, I will feel like *kitten*. Other than that though, I've never had any issues and have been on it for a number of years.
  • JollyHodgers87
    JollyHodgers87 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much estrogen you are used to, but since you took loestrine I'm assuming you might be in a similar range as me. I was experiencing the same after switching from loestrine to another pill. Anxiety, moods, and weight gain. Also head aches.. not sure if related or not. Anyway eventually my gyno switched me to a new pill (with the lowest amounts of estrogen possible) called lo ovral (I think levora is another name... there are several off brands). I'm no doctor and can't tell you what will work. But you may ask about levora. It's relatively cheap and I don't have bad side effects from taking it. My cycle is still regular and I feel better than with the pill before. Hope this helps!
  • chantellel0312
    chantellel0312 Posts: 7 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I have tried a few I liked Depot provera shot but it made me so hungry I gained more weight than I did actually pregnant. I stopped using any birth control after I had awful side effects from the nexplanon arm implant realized how scary putting artificial hormones in the body is so natural family planning is what works for me.
  • Marie45
    Marie45 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm two months into an IUD, and have gained 5lb since it was fitted. Also getting cramps and feeling quite bloated, along with the occasional hot flush. Hoping it will settle down after another few months.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I have tried a few I liked Depot provera shot but it made me so hungry I gained more weight than I did actually pregnant. I stopped using any birth control after I had awful side effects from the nexplanon arm implant realized how scary putting artificial hormones in the body is so natural family planning is what works for me.

Please avoid depo provera ladies! It blocks estrogen and leads to bone loss. I wish I had known that when I was in my 20's.
  • nic_27_grassisgreener
    Options
    Not sure what the difference is between "Loestrin" and "Lo Loestrin", but I've been on Lo Loestrin for 5+ years and love love love it. Super light/non-existent periods, almost no cramping, no side effects for me.

I do know that there is no generic for Lo Loestrin, which could be a cost problem for some. For me it just means $20/month instead of $10.
  • Bluebell2325
    Bluebell2325 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    @jesspen91 how long does the patch last? I currently have the implant, which has worked well for me, they last 3 years and I'm just coming to the end of my 3rd one (though I heard a couple of my friends did not agree with it at all and had to have it removed - depressive effect and constant bleed - I've experienced none of that thankfully. But I ask because I'm booked in for female sterilisation, patch may suit me for the gap. Operation is 2 months after the 3 yr anniversary of my implant being inserted. And although doc says "it'll be fine" I say " I'm taking no chance mate". The pill I cannot take for family history reasons, blood clots, etc. Patch sounds interesting.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    @Bluebell2325 unfortunately if you can't take the pill they are unlikely to give you the patch as it has a higher concentration of the same hormones so the blood clot risks are higher. I think the reason that it is not often prescribed is that you have to be really healthy to mitigate those risks. They won't give it to anyone with a history of smoking or BMI over 28 either.

For anyone who is interested though, the patch lasts for a week. You get three patches in a pack and the third week is 'patch free' like the week off that you have on the pill and you have your period during that week.
  • Bluebell2325
    Options
    Thanks for info, you're right I won't can take it, the implant was safe for me as it is such a low dose which is released slowly over a long time. And progesterone only. I can see why doc says it's not just going to "switch off" after 3 years, it's still going to be releasing hormone. She believes it is safe to 6 or 8 months after my 3 years is up and has experience of people replacing them less frequently, though manufacturers only state 3 years.
  • winejunky143
    winejunky143 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Marie45 wrote: »
    I'm two months into an IUD, and have gained 5lb since it was fitted. Also getting cramps and feeling quite bloated, along with the occasional hot flush. Hoping it will settle down after another few months.

Did you get the hormonal or non-hormonal IUD?

I've switched between several different BC pills and they all give me crazy anxiety/depression. I do want to have kids someday so I don't want to take the shot or the arm insert thing. I was interested in the non-hormonal IUD for these reasons.
  • Bluebell2325
    Options
    Just butting in, but the arm insert thing.. because it's such a low rate of hormone you're supposed to be able to conceive as soon as it is removed. And removal is a 2 minute job and a sticking plaster. I understand it doesn't suit everyone though for all manner of reasons. Mx
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I know you say you're not interested in an IUD, but let me put in my two pennies worth:

My first pill was Microgynon. Horrible. Appetite inducing and raised my blood pressure significantly. Then next one I went on I think Micronor. The mood swings were horrible so I stopped taking those. Eventually I ended up on Cerazette / Cerelle, which was fine. Got in to a relationship and decided I wanted to remove the risk of forgetting to take my pill, so decided on the arm implant, which is the same as Cerazette. Big mistake. My moods were all over the place and I had it removed after only about 3 months, and went back on to cerazette. But this time the mood swings continued.

All in all I ended up feeling really fed up with the hormonal changes I was forcing on my body, so I bit the bullet and went for a copper IUD. Yes, my periods are heavier, last a bit longer and the cramps are worse, but nothing I cannot manage with a hot bath and some paracetamol. But best of all: I have no more mood swings.

I would absolutely recommend the copper coil for those reasons.
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Returning touch base ... just met with my gyno and she recommended Lo Loestrin to see if a lower dose of estrogen helps. Fingers crossed!