Hi everybody!

Options
jknight001
jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
Just wanted to say hi and let you know I am back for 5:2 fasting round 2. :) Loved 5:2 fasting when I did it a few years back so I am here to try again.

Also was wondering how you all set up your calorie goals for 5:2? I have set up mine so that my TDEE is the total number of calories for the day. Had to fake MFP out by putting in a current weight (not my real weight) that can be maintained by my TDEE calories. I know MFP will complain that I am not eating enough on the fast days. I am ok with that but wondered if there is a better way of doing it that you all have discovered?

Replies

• Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,967 Member
    Options
    Hi there! We are glad to have you @jknight001

I don't use my TDEE at the moment. But I do plan to when I get closer to maintenance. I still have a decent amount of weight to lose so I want to stay agressive with my calories.
    On my non light days I count calories to lose weight for around my current body weight. I think MFP had put me at 1200, which was too low given the fact that I do cardio and burn around 500-600 a day six days a week. So I upped it to 1350 a day for non light days. I honestly never "submit" or close out my day on MFP on light days or non so the app never yells at me that I am eating too little. LOL
    I also do Intermittent Fasting for non light days, also known as an eating window of 12pm - 8pm/9pm and that is working well for me and giving me a pretty consistent loss a week. HTH
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    I set it at my real weight, sedentary, and maintain my weight. With two fasts and all the walking I do with my job, I come out with about 3,000 calories extra for the week, which equals about a pound lost. I hope this helps. :)
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I do 700-800 calories on light days and 2000 on regular days

Some days I also have a short eating window during the week only because I have never really liked eating breakfast.
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate you helping me get started.
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    welcome! and keep us posted...

I also do not close out for the day... and I try to stick to 500-600 on a real fast day and on regular days which I'm having more of now that I'm trying maintenance.... I am not logging, but when I was trying to lose weight I stuck to 1300 cals per day on a regular day. I also try to walk a lot and do not 'eat back' those calories.

good luck
  • jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    New to this method of eating. I used to juice fast two days a week. I know there are specific ways for this method but what I do is stick (mostly) to my 1200 calories per day set by MFP parameters to lose and on Fast Days I do 500. I am hoping to try and speed up my loss a bit. 2 lbs a week would be awesome. I have 45 to lose. I eat light breakfast and lunch and around 300 cal for dinner. For ex, today I had tea and a boiled egg, then some fat free Greek yogurt with about 1/4C fresh blueberries. For dinner I had homemade turkey chili. I find protein and fiber help me. I don't time my meals either. I go to a workout class 3 x per week and other than that, for now I am walking. Try to get 8k steps per day and exceed some days. I am 65 yrs old. I have lost and gained 20 lbs per yr for about 3 yrs. Would be good if this method could be a way to live. Trying to get most nutritional bang for the calorie on Fast Days. I eat healthy mostly on regular days. For the most part, what kind of losses could I expect? I know they vary... Just wondering how has worked for some folks. Thank you.
  • jopalis
    Options
    "Inside you'll find general information, suggestions and recipes along with the personal experiences and knowledge of other 5:2ers.

WHERE? Would love to read general info and experiences of others. Is there a special tab?
  • Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,967 Member
    Options
    jopalis wrote: »
    "Inside you'll find general information, suggestions and recipes along with the personal experiences and knowledge of other 5:2ers.

WHERE? Would love to read general info and experiences of others. Is there a special tab?

Hello again.

Feel free to click around the weekly posts for experiences. No special tab that I can recall. A lot of that information was written a while ago. A long time before I came to this community.

I recommend going to Dr. Mosely's site: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/ there is lots of good information on there. You can also take his book out of the library or pick it up on Amazon for inexpensive.

For your other post above, as far as what kind of losses to expect - everybody is different. You could probably expect one to two pounds a week. I see you exercise that is good. I do as well and I lose around that amount. I have a little less than you left to lose. I am 45 years old. I am 5' 4" tall. I eat 500 calories a day twice a week (two light days) on Mondays and Thursdays.
    I started back in late March and I am down around 35 pounds. On my non light days I still count calories. I eat around 1350 a day and I do an Intermittent Fasting eating window which means that I only eat between 12pm - 8pm or 1pm - 9pm. I find this helps me burn and lose weight more consistently.
    Hope this helps.
  • jopalis
    Options
    Thank you!