Weekly Post 10.9 - 17.9 2017

Options
Meghan509
Meghan509 Posts: 1,967 Member
Good morning everybody. Getting us started and will be right back with a new post. :)

Replies

• Meghan509
    Options
    Hello All.

Hope everybody had a nice weekend. The weather was beautiful and sunny but a little too cool to get to the beach. This week is sunny and warm and in the mid 70's and 80's this week. Going to get as much use as I can of my summer dresses!

This weekend I was glued to the TV watching Hurricane Irma head through the Caribbean and the state of Florida. I have immediate family on the south east and south west coasts of FL. Lots of friends in FL too. I am still waiting to hear back about my sister and her husband's home in south west FL. They had just bought that home in May. They are only 30 and have a young son. The home is relatively new and they had boarded it up. And as I was typing this I heard their home is safe. PHEW! <3

The weekend was good. I made a new recipe for our Light Day dinner tonight which I am excited about. I will share those new recipes that I found. As promised. :)

I also thought of some more breakfast ideas that might work well for you, @jknight001
    Overnight oats (recipes below). Or how about a smoothie? You could take almond or cashew milk that is low in calorie and mix with fruit to your liking, and some chia seeds. Add in some spinach to make it a nice green shake too. I say spinach over kale because kale is loud! LOL

Below are two overnight oats. The first one is a little high in calories at 377, but I am thinking if you can get an idea of how it works and then use Almond Milk or 0% Fat Greek Yogurt to get your calories down, and keep your add in's to a mininum this might work for you?
    The second one does not have a calorie count, but she makes it with apple sauce. I have made this one. Yummy! Again, maybe you can tweak.

http://broccoliandmuffins.com/banana-coconut-overnight-oats/

https://www.budgetbytes.com/2016/06/no-sugar-added-apple-pie-overnight-oats/

Be back later with a second post of the Light Day dinner recipes I found. Have a good one all! :smiley:
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    @Meghan509 - So glad your sister's home was spared. I too have been watching the news since my family is in the Ft. Lauderdale area in Southeast FL. All of them were evacuated so I have not heard anything about damage yet. I know there is lots of power outages. Praying that looting will not be a problem for the areas effected.

I love how you said kale is loud! So true. I do love Tuscan Kale though with its lemony flavor.

Feeling a bit under the weather today. I think I had an over active weekend and my energy level is just not there. Waiting for a good night sleep tonight. Today is a fast day and I find fasting helps the blues for me. It allows my body to rest a bit (not having to process as much food) and I hope to feel back to normal tomorrow. Hope you all have a great week. Looking forward t @Meghan509's fast day dinner recipe. I am always up for a good recipe!
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday! We were the same all eyes on Irma. My friends and relatives all fared well. Florida's new building codes after hurricane Andrew and many boarding up windows I believe made a ton of difference.

I am doing a low day today because I struggled all weekend. Watermelon! That was the culprit. I cannot eat it without it making me ravenous. And that is exactly what it did. Been a busy work day here so being able to keep it low has been easier.

• Meghan509
    Options
    Hi guys!
    Sorry I got caught up yesterday with work and couldn't come back here to post those recipes! :p I will come through shortly with those, as promised!
    Yes, I love kale but it can be loud as h*ll when you put it in shakes LOL @jknight001 ! I like to steam it and have it with some protein or add it to soups and stews. It cooks down nicely!
    Good, glad everybody's friends and family fared well with Irma too! Good point about the revised building codes.
    Watermelon. Too funny @ckmama I like it too but is sugary LOL
    My Light Day went well yesterday. I think the new dinner recipe made a difference. I made Low Calorie Highland Stew. The only thing is I miscalcuated the calories when I put the recipe in to MFP. It had counted the barley as cooked instead of uncooked, and I didn't catch it until after I had already made it and had added some extra turkey sausage, thinking I had more room. So it was a little higher calories than I would have wanted. I will make it lower next time. But, it was damn good. BF liked it too!
    Recipes coming in a new post following. Speak to you all soon! Have a good one. :)
  • Meghan509
    Options
    First up is the Low Calorie Highland Stew that I made for this week.
    I subbed Turkey Sausage and I uncased it and broke it up. I used two links. Next time I will only use one small white potato and probably the same amount of sausage, to keep the calories lower. I used 32 ounces of veggie broth instead of the stock cube and water. I also used the Trader Joe's mixture of onion, carrots, and celery since it is already cut up and low calorie. Added in a dash of Italian Seasoning. Used an Olive Oil Spray as my "fat" to cook the sausages in, to keep calories low. This is a really tasty recipe. Very filling!

https://www.lavenderandlovage.com/2012/12/a-52-fast-day-diet-winter-meal-plan-with-low-calorie-highland-stew-recipe.html

Here are the rest, note that most of these are meatless except for the second to last one... :)

https://www.themediterraneandish.com/egyptian-vegan-stew-peas-carrots/

https://www.pickledplum.com/vegan-lentil-soup-recipe/

http://www.cookincanuck.com/2016/09/split-pea-stew-recipe-cauliflower/

http://www.skinnytaste.com/naked-greek-feta-zucchini-turkey-burgers/

For this one, it is only 22 calories!? Maybe it could be a base to add some turkey or chicken to?

http://www.recipe-diaries.com/2016/05/24/weight-watchers-zero-point-cabbage-soup/

I probably will make the Split Pea next, because my guy is a big fan and I know I have split peas on hand at home. I will keep you posted on what I make. Let me know if you guys have any feedback.

Can you tell I like to cook? :)
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to find my fasting mojo lately. I get up and think, "Today, I will fast!" And then an hour later I find myself scarfing breakfast while rushing off to work... and it just goes downhill from there. The ONLY thing that has saved me has been that I am just too busy/stressed to eat as much. HELP! What do some of the more seasoned fasters do when motivation is completely gone?
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Hi All,

Hope everybody is having a good week. Jeez, been trying to hit send on this post for two hours now! Will keep it short. :)

@KateNkognito don't stress... I would just count your calories and let your body reset. When you are less stressed and ready to fast you will. I am not a seasoned faster but I am a seasoned "dieter". Your mind has to be in it and you can't be too busy or stressed! I am a stress eater, when I stress my eating goes out the window Hang in there. :)

Okay, with that being said I will let you all go for now. Typical day here for me. Not much else to report. Hoping for a good week this week and a good Light Day tomorrow. Hope you are all well and I'll check in again soon!

Enjoy your day!
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!!!

I'm just catching up on about 2-3 weeks of posts!!! I was away for about 10 days in August and now I've been trying to get some ugly chores done... you know the ones, outside light fixtures and the corners of the garage! I've been busy and yet no time to fast, walk, or meal plan.... nothing. I've just today felt ready to go back to the fasting days of 2 years ago... but still, I've said that before so I'm treading thin ice here. Either I get my s+*t together, or I bring out my fat pants! Yes, I still have them, or most of them. I haven't measured my waist in about 3 months and I don't want to, I can tell by my shorts that I've gained. The mind set you have is the key to success... so true about being stressed and unmotivated. @KateNkognito ... what I am going to do, is get more sleep! Just starting with getting the teeth brushed earlier and going to bed a LOT earlier than I do now should help feeling more positive. Let's try that together!

Off to have some tinned salmon...
  • jknight001
    Options
    @KateNkognito - what works for me on fast days is to have the meals planned out before the actual day, usually the night before. That way I can go on auto-pilot knowing what I need to eat for the fast day. Since your schedule is quite hectic, you might even want to consider having the meals weighed and measured the night before so it takes minimal effort to eat on the fast day. On my MFP account I have a some of meals set up with the prefix "250B" and "250D" since I like to eat breakfast and dinner for my fast days. These are meals I have done in the past that I know are easy and I like. I can search for "250B" or "250D" if I want some quick fast day ideas.

Fasting is a bit like jumping in a pool. It's painfully cold the first few minutes but after that I am glad I jumped in.

Wishing you the best with your mojo!
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    jknight001 wrote: »
    Fasting is a bit like jumping in a pool. It's painfully cold the first few minutes but after that I am glad I jumped in.
    Ain't that the truth!
    @mamainthekitchen My problem is not going to bed on time, it is waking up in the middle of the night and my brain thinks that is the perfect time to freak out about all the problems in the whole world! Geesh, I just wanna go back to sleep! I hope we both get back on track!

I have to say the the plus to the exhaustion and stress is that I am either too busy to cook/eat or too tired to get up and get something. I am still on a downward trend. :smile:
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning Fasting Friends!
    One of those busy days again. Trying to type and post but keep getting side tracked! Ugh!
    Going to keep this short for now. Being busy does take my mind off the fact that it is a light day woo hoo!
    I do the same thing with frequently used items in MFP - makes it easy to add stuff. I even have my vitamins in there. :)
    Feeling pretty good about this week. Been eating well and reallly enjoying our new Light Day dinner. Might even make it again for next week! Doh!
    Going to hit the gym after work and drink lots of water and green tea today. That is all for now.
    Will try and check back later. Have a good one.
  • jknight001
    Options
    Meghan509 wrote: »
    First up is the Low Calorie Highland Stew that I made for this week.

https://www.lavenderandlovage.com/2012/12/a-52-fast-day-diet-winter-meal-plan-with-low-calorie-highland-stew-recipe.html

Here are the rest, note that most of these are meatless except for the second to last one... :)

https://www.themediterraneandish.com/egyptian-vegan-stew-peas-carrots/

https://www.pickledplum.com/vegan-lentil-soup-recipe/

http://www.cookincanuck.com/2016/09/split-pea-stew-recipe-cauliflower/

http://www.skinnytaste.com/naked-greek-feta-zucchini-turkey-burgers/

For this one, it is only 22 calories!? Maybe it could be a base to add some turkey or chicken to?

http://www.recipe-diaries.com/2016/05/24/weight-watchers-zero-point-cabbage-soup/

I probably will make the Split Pea next, because my guy is a big fan and I know I have split peas on hand at home. I will keep you posted on what I make. Let me know if you guys have any feedback.

Can you tell I like to cook? :)

@Meghan509 These look really good! I would love to try the Highland Stew. I think my non-5:2 family would like it too. Have you added these to one of the pinned recipe post at the top of the 5:2 page?
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Thanks @jknight001 glad you liked!
    Funny you said that, we have already decided to have it again for next week! My change will be one small potato and subbing chicken broth for veggie. Since I use turkey sausage I think it will taste nice! Very tasty and filling! :p
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Yes, I will add to the recipe section tomorrow! Thanks for reminding me! ;)
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Good morning all!

I am pleased to report that I lost 2.2 pounds this week! I am down at least a pound past my low from summer of 2014. So I am VERY happy!! I am pretty sure the last time I weighed this number was some time in the early 2000's... :o

As some of you have seen me mention, my guy is also doing this with me and he also had a good week this week. Lately he's been dealing with sluggish losses - even what you might consider a stall of sorts. Playing the yo yo game with the scale. This week he broke it! He lost two pounds earlier in the week and two plus pounds today! He is almost at the 55 pound loss mark, as of today! We both started at the end of March. I am so happy for him. :smiley:

I did Low Carb (Atkins Diet) back in 2000 or so and lost around 40 pounds. I got to 170 and then couldn't go any further after being stuck for a while I gave up and started gaining again. Once I started introducing carbs back in to my diet they didn't agree with me. Beer - forget about it. Pretty safe to say that Low Carb wrecked havoc on my system. My cholesterol shot up 40 points from eating so much meat and bacon and fat. My teeth and gums were filled with build up from being in "ketosis" or buring mode. One of the many reasons why you won't see me eating what is now called "the Keto Diet". Just my .02 :p

My Light Day went well yesterday. We realllly enjoyed our low calorie Highland Stew, so much that we are going to have it again next week! Once of those things where you don't feel like you are eating low cal. I will put in one less pototo (I had used two small, which really were not that small) and will use chicken broth instead of veggie broth. Since I use turkey sausage I think it will compliment it better. Otherwise she's good to go! YUMMY!!!

Tonight we'll head out for a dinner out and same for tomorrow. We like to enjoy ourselves on the weekend when we can. Won't go too crazy though! Don't want to ruin the good progress that we have going!

Make it a good one! I will check in again soon. :wink:
  • jknight001
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I also (FINALLY) had a good week! Lost 2.4 lbs. That puts me about 11 lbs from my first goal. Very thankful!

@Meghan509 Congratulations to both you and your guy! I think it is very cool that you are doing 5:2 together. You can cheer each other on. I found the stuff you wrote on Atkins fascinating. I always thought eating plans that cut out whole food groups weren't a great idea. I especially wondered about a diet that promoted unlimited meat products. I think about what we ate before grocery stores and meat processing plants. Unless one was an excellent hunter, veggies and grains (carbs) were probably a large part of the diet since they didn't run away when one tried to eat them. :smile: God made everything for a reason. Balance is the key.

Hope you all have a great weekend! I'll be busy pulling things together for my son's birthday party next weekend. :smile:
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    awesome @Meghan509 I have a few friends who are doing the Keto diet and they just rave about it. And they have lost a significant amount of weight. They get all kinds of people to join them. I can't do it. Not sustainable. I've seen so many do it and the weight piles back on when they start eating carbs again.

I need to cut out the processed foods and some of my carb intake but no carbs...no way.

I haven't had one fasting day this week. I hate that, but I've just been off this week. I may aim for tomorrow or just wait and get back on my schedule of Monday, Thursday.
  • Meghan509
    Options
    Hi guys!
    Thanks for your kind words... Yes, I am lucky that my guy and I so this together. Makes meal planning so easy LOL!
    Good. Glad nobody took offense to my low carb rant! I like everything in moderation. Unfortunately I learned that the hard way... :(
    Wanted to pop in to telk you guys that I started running on the treadmill today!! Of my 45 minutes, I ran for 25!! I basically did clips of 5 minute runs and one was 10 minutes! Going to keep it up. Very excited. Last time I ran was sixth grade. I am 45. Never to late!!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    jknight001 wrote: »
    I also (FINALLY) had a good week! Lost 2.4 lbs. That puts me about 11 lbs from my first goal. Very thankful!

Nice loss @jknight001 B)