Gout question

Options
I'm wondering if anyone here has had experience with gout and paleo. My husband isn't following any specific diet, and has had a gout flare for a month now. He's eliminated most meats, eats lots of veggies, but hasn't eliminated grains. Most dietary advice for gout pretty much tells people to be vegetarian. Just looking to see if anyone has had gout while eating paleo or if it has been relieved while eating paleo. TIA!

Replies

• madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I don't have experience with this, but I was a nurse and do know that alcohol, red meat and shellfish contribute to it, along with high blood pressure and obesity. I don't know about the grains, doesn't seem intuitive to me that those would be an impact.

Do his flare ups come at any time around a few beers or wine:) Hope not!!
  • mountainrun73
    mountainrun73 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    @madwells1 - he used to drink beer and sometimes it would cause flares and sometimes not. He hadn't been drinking alcohol for a while when this flare started. He thinks it is because I was making too many paleo/low carb meals and it was the fat. But he drinks a ton of fruit juice and eats carb-y snacks (like granola bars and tortilla chips). I don't know. He's had gout flares too when we were mostly vegetarian. Seems no rhyme or reason to it. And he's got good BP and is an avid cyclist in good shape (though he hasn't been able to ride in over a month now because of the flare).
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Fruit juice might be the culprit as it raises acidity levels too. Maybe he should try removing juices and see if that helps. I am not an expert though...so ignore me if that is silly:) Hope he feels better. That is no fun.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I’ve read that gout is related to arthritis. As far as arthritis, my joints are most affected by carbs in general, sugar in particular, and nightshades. Paleo has been very helpful in reducing pain and restoring function.

That said, these articles may offer some insight. They seem to agree that fructose is one of the main problems.

https://paleoleap.com/gout-forget-purines-skip-sugar/

https://chriskresser.com/will-eating-a-paleo-diet-cause-gout/

https://www.paleohacks.com/gout/gout-and-fructose-2436
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if anyone here has had experience with gout and paleo. My husband isn't following any specific diet, and has had a gout flare for a month now. He's eliminated most meats, eats lots of veggies, but hasn't eliminated grains. Most dietary advice for gout pretty much tells people to be vegetarian. Just looking to see if anyone has had gout while eating paleo or if it has been relieved while eating paleo. TIA!

When my husband started with gout we lived in China and they did blood tests and was told not to eat tofu, liver, prawns or shrimp and not to drink beer. In the West doctors thought this was very odd and indeed impossible however this worked for years and the only times he had a flare up we were able to trace back to things like eating out and a chef using Thai Fish sauce which contains shrimp shell etc. Once he ate a steak but the restaurant had also grilled some large shelled prawns on the same grill. We learned to say he had a severe allergy which seemed to focus the mind for restaurant staff. He misses beer but not the pain from the gout! You could try this?