What are your 5 days like?

Options
sjgold123
sjgold123 Posts: 133 Member
edited January 2018 in Social Groups
So i'm wanting to change my habits of being too quick to say yes and devour! Life's too short attitude has got to be less flipant with food if i want to feel great.
So on my regular days i have about 1600 cals as i don't want to consume the typical 2k and mess up my week. I still be mindful of portion control, i supplement half my pasta with courgette as i had been heavily adding the cals. I add extra veggies to bulk every meal and i weigh out that once a week chocolate treat rather than having no self control of a large bar. I don't buy biscuits as i give in too easy. I choose more naturally sweet snacks/healthy fats. I want to follow this after to maintain my loss. How do you enjoy your 5 days...i'm loosing weight so happy but want to make sure i'm not too strict. On this basis a takeway will come once a month with no guilt!

Replies

• KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I used to do my "break even" calories on non-fast days. But I recently changed that to calories for half a pound loss per week. It really is psychological, but it works for me. :)
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    On Friday or Saturday each week my husband or I cook a DINNER! A yummy no holds barred meal. Chicken Tikka Masala, King Ranch Caserole, Greek chicken and potatoes, Chicago style stuffed pizza, - something yummy and normally verboten on my calories. I have a nice portion and enjoy - no guilt but no seconds.

Otherwise I am aiming for maintenance or VERY slow loss (a pound or so a month). So my five days look kinda disgustingly healthy, to be honest. Lol. My TDEE is LOW and if not for 5:2 I’d be sentenced to perpetual hunger or weight gain.

• sjgold123
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Kate what do you mean change your cals?
    And Ryenday what is TDEE newbie here x
  • Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,958 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

On non light days I eat around 1350 calories per day. I am five feet, four inches tall, and 167 pounds, 45 years old.
    Female LOL. I exercise and burn around 500 calories a day six days a week and I don't "eat back" any of those exercise calories. I allow myself some "free" meals on the weekends say Friday and Saturdays, I will be a little more lax and I won't typically log but I am mindful. I find that eating 1350 gives me a little room for the "free" meals on the weekend.

TDEE is your Total Daily Expenditure or the amount of calories you burn per day.

https://tdeecalculator.net/

Use the TDEE calculator to learn your Total Daily Energy Expenditure, a measure of how many calories you burn per day. This calculator will also display your BMI, BMR, Macros & many other useful statistics!

Hope that helps. :smiley:
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Excellent Meghan!^^^^^^^

For me.... my 5 days are not all alike. I naturally don’t eat a large amount of calories with the types of food I like. I get in trouble if I add wine, candy and chocolate! (Yes I buy all that!) I feel very comfortable sticking to a 1200 - 1400 cal day... being older (58) I’m not needing big heavy meals anymore and get more than enough food from adding more veggies to my meals and making sure protein is up there... again, it’s my bad habit of the treats that get me in trouble!
  • sjgold123
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Some days because i'm trying to overall improve the amount of veg we eat my total is 1,100 cals at the end of the day and weirdly i've not felt i needed more food so haven't ate for the sake of it but then a wkd its more like 1550. I have 2 low days couldn't do 3 plus i lost 7llb in 1 week so feeling good (christ knows how as that seems such a lot but i'm not going to complain...anyway the skill is keeping it off). I'm 5.4 10.9 wanting to get to 9stone. I'm 35 and have 3 kids but work from home so not that active so i ensure our dogs get longer walks for my exercise.
    The main thing i'm learning and want to maintain is the easy swaps that i was wasting calories on!!
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Excellent Meghan!^^^^^^^

For me.... my 5 days are not all alike. I naturally don’t eat a large amount of calories with the types of food I like. I get in trouble if I add wine, candy and chocolate! (Yes I buy all that!) I feel very comfortable sticking to a 1200 - 1400 cal day... being older (58) I’m not needing big heavy meals anymore and get more than enough food from adding more veggies to my meals and making sure protein is up there... again, it’s my bad habit of the treats that get me in trouble!

I’m not that much younger, mama, but I have the opposite problem. I can pass up the treats pretty readily (well not at Christmas, but otherwise :) )-. But I want a nice heavy meal at least once a day.

I’m eating about a hundred more calories on my five days than Meghan, but I’m trying to find my maintenance calories and that is much trickier now that I’m trying to figure out how many calories my exercise burns.

Still, I can unequivocally say, my five days look so much better than any day looked before I started 5:2.

• mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    ryenday wrote: »

Still, I can unequivocally say, my five days look so much better than any day looked before I started 5:2.

Yes, I hear ya on that front Rye! 5:2 has set some new and positive changes for our health.... like you said, it's the maintenance that's the most difficult!

some chicken & broccoli and a few ju jubes to chew on!! >:) whoops! Cottage cheese & a roma tomatoe for lunch really holds me until dinner time... ok, held me until I found the chewies!

hope all is going well for everyone else! ***** Flumi?? if you're out there.... hope you are well!! B)

• Meghan509
    Options
    Hi all!
    Good, glad you liked my two cents! :smiley:
    Great information in here. Definitely another "keeper" post and good stuff to refer to in the future!
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    @sjgold123 On MFP if you look under "goals", there are options for maintaining and then various loss rates. Also, there are activity levels. I set mine to .5 pound a week loss and sedentary. Hope this helps!
  • sjgold123
    Options
    Hi Kate yes i have done that thank you
  • sjgold123
    Options
    Sorry i wrote a lot more but my phone didn't post...
  • sjgold123
    Options
    I've set it to sedentary as i don't exercise but rarely have a chance to put my feet up either! I set it to 2llb loss per week. I'm enjoying it so far and hoping to stick to longterm changes once i've achieved my goal as that's the hard part!
  • Meghan509
    Options
    I use sedentary as well, since I sit on my but all day and my plan is to not eat back the exercise calories until I get to maintenance. :)

FYI when doing posts on phones and tablets - we have found that if you use you own emojis vs the ones here, it will eat your post. Heads up! We have all been there. :'(
    Posting from my tablet. :p
  • sjgold123
    Options
    Thanks Meghan