Virta long-term results: reversing diabetes with keto

Options
wabmester
wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
Sorry if somebody already posted this -- didn't see it after a quick look.

Impressive 1-year results from Virta!

Study is here:
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13300-018-0373-9

Good summary from Dr Ethan Weiss (cardiologist at UCSF) on twitter:

Bottom-line: HUGE improvements across the board (weight, BG, HOMA-IR, liver function, inflammation, and lipid profile) except for LDL.

The study is getting a huge reaction from the medical and nutritional science geeks on twitter. The take from the anti-LC cult is interesting. They basically say the diet was irrelevant, and the results were due to the high-bandwidth coaching between doc and patient.

Replies

• KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Wow
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Excellent study, thank you for posting!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    The take from the anti-LC cult is interesting. They basically say the diet was irrelevant, and the results were due to the high-bandwidth coaching between doc and patient.
    So... like what? have the doc throw carbs and meds at the patient because it's not worth spending time with them to put T2D into remission/cure it? (*sarcasm*)
    Great study, I wish more people (and their docs) would look at the science.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.
  • gaelicstorm
    gaelicstorm Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I did LCHF for about 8 months before falling off of the wagon (here I am again...back on it) and I was able to cut my oral diabetes medications by 75% in that time. Of course I was down about 50 lbs and exercising regularly, which also helped with lowering blood glucose, but being strict with carbs is where the credit belongs. That helped me to both lose weight AND lower my blood glucose.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Glad to see you back on Keto! Welcome :)
  • catherineg3
    catherineg3 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    This is a nice study, but seems to talk about standard of care as much as the dietary intervention. Maybe, if those under usual care had been given the same information, the results would have been more relevant as to standard of care. I think a HUGE problem right now is the Doctors and American Diabetes *kitten*. are lying to people. "you'll be ok and can keep eating normal foods, just take this extra insulin every day and keep giving us money and watch your weight and disease getting progressively worse until you die of heart or kidney failure."
    Diabetes is my motivation to be LCHF. I have gone a little nuts with the health research lately. There are a ton of resources out there regarding low carb intervention for Type 2 Diabetes, showing most people are able to get off insulin, but it is hard to find a good doctor who is familiar with and encourages LCHF. When I told my doc I was going to do this, he said "ok" like he didn't really believe me.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    If healthcare team members have been drilled that dietary intervention is not needed then it makes it hard to think otherwise. It was ONLY at the age of 63 that I realized I was eating for a premature death instead of eating for life quality/quantity. After I saw what LCHF could do to improve my life it was easy to stick with the WOE plus I really enjoy this WOE directly and indirectly. I know the doctors that wanted me to start Enbrel injections for pain management were shocked when I said NO to the injections after just 30 days of attempting LCHF.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    The take from the anti-LC cult is interesting. They basically say the diet was irrelevant, and the results were due to the high-bandwidth coaching between doc and patient.
    So... like what? have the doc throw carbs and meds at the patient because it's not worth spending time with them to put T2D into remission/cure it? (*sarcasm*)
    Great study, I wish more people (and their docs) would look at the science.

Bingo!

Umm, wouldn't the coaching have been
    along the lines of "don't eat carbs, eat protein, don't eat too much fat, slurp sodium, exercise some..."

Not sure I see the detractors' point. But I'm just a closed-minded carbophobe...
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would have loved to see the same Virta approach applied to a low-fat diet study arm. We have very little data that lets us separate weight-loss effects from specific dietary effects.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Personally, I would have loved to see the same Virta approach applied to a low-fat diet study arm. We have very little data that lets us separate weight-loss effects from specific dietary effects.

Exactly. Most people who are not low carb and see this study seem to focus on the 12% weight loss as the cause for success. Unfortunately, because the low carb group lost weight compared to the control, I can't argue against it much. Improvements may have been due only to the weight loss.... And I hate not being able to argue the pros of low carb because my insulin resistance was NOT due to obesity, and low carb really improved my situation.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    The study I would like to see is two groups of diabetics. Have them both on the same number of calories (like 1500 or something) with the same amount of coaching/support. That would eliminate a lot of the variables. The only difference then would be the macros - 50% carbs -vs- 5% carbs maybe. See if they lose weight and go off meds at the same rate. Measure body fat and track that. General quality of life - happiness, hunger, etc should be assessed in some way too. The counseling and weight loss were the differences here that make it hard to draw conclusions.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    The study I would like to see is two groups of diabetics. Have them both on the same number of calories (like 1500 or something) with the same amount of coaching/support. That would eliminate a lot of the variables. The only difference then would be the macros - 50% carbs -vs- 5% carbs maybe. See if they lose weight and go off meds at the same rate. Measure body fat and track that. General quality of life - happiness, hunger, etc should be assessed in some way too. The counseling and weight loss were the differences here that make it hard to draw conclusions.

I would even raise calories so there is no caloric deficit. That way they can't attribute health improvements to weight loss. Otherwise, I think you are spot on! :)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »

That would make a very good study.