Carrying Larger Phones when Running

Options
I just upgraded from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 6, and as most people probably know, it's WAY bigger. Of course, I had just about perfected how I carried my old phone with me while running and now I have to start over :(

So...anyone with a larger phone out there have any great solutions for carrying it with you? (With the case on it, it's about 3"W x 6"H x 1/2 Thick")

What I have / used with my old phone was:
1. Skirt Sports Gym Girl Ultra skirt with pockets on the legs - definitely not going to fit my new phone
2. Ultimate Direction Scott Jurek "Essential" Waste Pack - tried it, not going to fit it
3. Flip Belt - could MAYBE stretch it to fit, but it's going to take a long time, and since the texture of my case is that grippy plastic I think it will just be a nightmare.

Does anyone know if the Spi-Belt's will hold a phone this large?

Thanks!!!

Replies

• runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    In for responses. Right now I take my Galazy S3, already big and only gonna get bigger when I upgrade, out of its case and it goes in a plastic baggie in my pack next to my bladder. Not convenient but it works. Or I put it in my vest which works but bounces and is smoetimes annoying. Definitely looking for more convenient options.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    What do you use it for on your runs? Are you using the apps/navigation features or do you just have it along for emergencies? If the latter, you might want to consider getting a cheap pay as you go phone for that purpose. Otherwise, I got nothin. I think a spi belt *might* work though; mine fits the iphone 5 with a lot of room to spare.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I have a Note 2 and it's pretty large. Even bigger when I put the extended battery on it. I use an Amphipod belt at times. If I'm wearing my SJ Ultra Vest, I just put it in the back of that. In the dark on the road I have a highwayman's vest with a pocket that it fits into. It's not a huge problem really. Here's a link to the belt: http://www.amphipod.com/products/holders/music/electronics/airflow-endurance
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I have a spibelt. You can fit a small child in there. iPhone 6 should fit, no problem.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    If you have a 4.7-inch iPhone, this looks like a really slick solution. You'd have to ditch your old case though:

http://www.amazon.com/Armband-SUPCASE-Fitting-Running-Flexible/dp/B00MOOFDMA/ref=pd_cp_cps_0
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I use the skirt sports easy ride top. I would guess that any top made for bicyclist might have that rear pocket, too. I find that my phone stays in there well and doesn't bounce around too much for me. It could bother someone else, I suppose.
  • grendel322
    grendel322 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Interesting but unanticipated conundrum presented by the new larger phone sizes. That Amazon case *could* work, but today, I was caught in a bit of a sudden downpour, and was glad my phone was in a plastic enclosed sleeve. Moisture and iPhones don't mix!
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.

That amphipod looks like it could be good. I also saw they have a spi-belt "large" that is supposed to expand more than the regular one. I just wish I had a running store close to me so I could actually go see some of this in person!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I have a large Spibelt and it'll hold the kitchen sink if you want it to.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I had a cheap, generic phone arm band that I bought from Academy Sports that I used to use when I took my phone running. I have a Samsung Galaxy S4.

I probably still be using it if I wanted to carry my phone on runs anymore. Lately I've just been using my Garmin watch and mp3 player clipped to my waistband and nothing else.
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I run in my biking shirt because it has a pocket in the back that works perfecrly for my phone and my GU. otherwisw a fanny pack might work
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Zensah has arm warmers that have a phone holder in them; I get to try out a pair for my job at this local running store...I should be getting them soon. I will let you know how it goes! Of course, this solution (if it actually is a good product) would really only work in cooler weather!
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Another vote for amphidpod. I love mine because it doesn't bounce. (you can also buy cool bib tabs for it, so you'll never have to use safety pins for a race again)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I have a spibelt. You can fit a small child in there. iPhone 6 should fit, no problem.

Orly?

iphone-6-memes-6.jpg

I held an HTC One M8, with bumper case, in my hand for 94 minutes once. By the end, I wanted to throw it in a lake.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I hate carrying a phone unless I'm running amuck in the woods by myself, but I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 that fits just fine into an arm band if I take the case off. The brand is Arkon - I got it on Amazon.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I use this with a note 3 and it works great. Had to get the large size though.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I carry my Samsung Galaxy S5 in its Otterbox Commuter case on each run. It does not fit the small belt pockets and in the larger ones, it moves around too much and is just plain annoying.

So I went with a sleeve and there aren't many large enough for the phone *and* case. But I did find one. I use the NXE ActiveSLEEVE Armband. It stretches, so the larger phones will fit. It did take me a little time to figure out the right position so it wouldn't move around when I was running (not over the tricep, but rotated around just a smidge from the side of my arm). But once I got that down, it's been smooth sailing.

That being said, you have an iPhone which is the king of the "let's make an accessory for a phone!" phone accessory market. Give it time, there will be more choices around soon.
  • larrewl
    larrewl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My wife and I own both regular and large pocket SPIbelts to hold our smartphones, ID, keys. I recommend the large pocket SPIbelt for your iPhone 6. It's what I use for my Galaxy S4. :smile:
    http://www.spibelt.com/products/spibelt/large-pocket-spibelt
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    ive been putting my iphone 6 in my fitbelt no problems. but my case is on back order still soooo...........
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Didn't read all the responses so I'm sorry if this is a repeat, but I love Bondi Band armbands.