Fellow Graduates!!

Options
yogibella
yogibella Posts: 321 Member
Graduated C25K last week! Woo Hoo!! Feels pretty awesome but I also know that this is just the beginning for me...who knew?:D My next goal is to keep working on pace & distance (I can do a full 5K now but I'd like to get it under 30:00), try different routes and eventually B210K or some other program. But when? How? I'm afraid that without a structured program I may lose the commitment...

So, fellow graduates or ones already thinking about it, what's next on your running agenda? How are you keeping your motivation up? Did you move to B210K? How many times a week are you running? For ones that moved on to greater distances, any advice? Thanks!

Replies

• jadesign19
    jadesign19 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Hello and congrats. I just started the bridge to 5k app on my iPhone. I do that workout three days a week and do 30 day shred tues with a light 2 mile run at night. Thursday I do 30 day shred and then add a long run Saturday or Sunday. I work around my families schedule so I usually run between 6 am to 8 pm. I'm motivated because I signed up for two more 5 is in September.
    Hopefully this helps.:flowerforyou:
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I am working on speed right now. I give myself a month or so (or longer or shorter depending on how I feel but that's the plan right now). After that I will be bridging to 10K. I finished the program almost 3 weeks ago and my time is getting better already! Got a couple 5K's to run this summer as well.
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've not graduated yet, but I'm almost there (I'm on week 7). I'm planning on taking a month or so to work on speed and then me and my BFF are going to move on to b210k. We're going to try to find a 10k to sign up for as motivation.

Good luck!
  • yogibella
    Options
    awesome & thanks guys! A month of working on speed and getting a good pace sounds good:) I guess the 3x week schedule is also good to keep up the momentum. I've got an eye on a 10K race but that's not until next spring so plenty of time...

@jadesign - which app do you use? I see a few around but don't know which one is good. I've been using Chubby Jones' podcasts lately and see that she has episodes for longer runs (35-40 min) and 10K too! I kinda like having a "coach" in my head:)
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I like the runkeeper app. You can set the intervals you want, and set it to tell you time, distance, pace whatever. It plays over your own music.
  • yogibella
    Options
    I've been using Endomondo which I guess is just like Runkeeper:) My run last week was the worst ever since graduating...but I wasn't feeling well and I guess it may take longer to keep up that 5K running for a while...lol
  • krawles
    krawles Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Endomondo is a great app that I have been using now for a few months, but it seems to over calculate the number of calories burned compared to the results MFP figures. Were you able to use Endomondo on your C25K runs, or did you use the C25K app?
  • yogibella
    Options
    hi @krawles - I used it to track all my runs but just for the time/distance/pace portion and used podcasts for the actual program. (the c25k app I have was just ok for me) I haven't upgraded to Endomondo Pro version yet, which allows you to put in intervals and other goals I think:) I wouldn't take the calories burned too seriously on Endomondo - it's just an estimate and it under-calculates it for me, when compared to my HRM. The GPS works fine but I run the same route every time and sometimes it is off by 0.25 - 0.4 km?? Have you experienced that?
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Check out runtastic or micoach.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    When I completed it I started it over, then when that was done I started B210K. I also use Endomondo. I usually run 3-4 times a week. But now that I will be starting NROL4W, I'm only going to run 2-3 times a week.
  • definitelyval
    definitelyval Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hey, all! I'm graduating on Thursday - YAYYYYYYYY!!!! I'm currently able to run up to 3.5 miles, but I'm going to start working on my speed now. I did 2.5 miles last night and it only took me 42 minutes, so I'm down to a 16 minute mile...I know I can do it faster, and that's my goal. My first 5k is on September 1st - http://Awesome80sRun.com

So exciting, who knew I would run and LIKE IT!?
  • krawles
    krawles Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi Yogibella, Yes, the GPS has been off on mine as well. One time it was significantly (several miles) off after a recent update they made to the software. When I look at the actual track on the map, I figure it is underestimating my distance. MFP only looks at the time to calculate calories burned and Endomondo is at least accurate with that. I do not run or walk the same course.
  • yogibella
    Options
    When I completed it I started it over, then when that was done I started B210K. I also use Endomondo. I usually run 3-4 times a week. But now that I will be starting NROL4W, I'm only going to run 2-3 times a week.

When you started it over, did you do anything differently? Actually it might be interesting to do it over but running on the walking portions and running faster on the actual run portions? I might start incorporating B210K runs 1x week while trying to keep up with 5k runs. Keeping it up is harder than I thought...hopefully I'm just having an off week. I'd like to do NROL4W someday soon too:)

@definitelyval - congrats!! so awesome:)

@krawles - yeah that last update on Endomondo seems to have really screwed things up for me! Gonna switch to Nike+ Running or something else until they fix it I think.
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I found a c210k app and just picked up on the week after the 30 minute run. Did my first day of it this morning! The 'ding' got covered up by music 2x but I know my route well enough now that I caught it both times. After I finish c210k, I plan on starting over for speed :-)

Oh best part was there was one(only one) free c210k app!!
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I've found the key to motivating myself to run is races. I have my 2nd 5K next weekend, in which my goal is to beat my first time. Then I'll increase my distance training for a 15k in October. Constantly having that carrot in front of me is the only way I can get motivated to get out there even once a week, much less 3.
  • yogibella
    Options
    Oh best part was there was one(only one) free c210k app!!

Is that the one by Zen Labs? It's the only one I can find too. I'll give that a whirl:)

@sarahqt2012 - yup, I gotta start seriously thinking about running races too. It's amazing how our motivation differs by having concrete goals:) (btw, big congrats on your weight loss!!)
  • yogibella
    Options