Ibuprofin

Options
CRody44
CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
I had to take ibuprofen last night and my BG this morning was 140. Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm sure it's not dtet related.

Replies

• Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I've never had ibuprofen do that to me but I wonder if whatever caused you to take it is the culprit. If you were sick or in pain that can cause BG to rise.
  • CRody44
    Options
    Sharonks,
    I got an allergic reaction to something an no I am covered with itchy and painful hives. The pain was so intense at 1 am, I had to take some ibuprofen, and got a few hours sleep. I didn’t know pain would spike your BS. The Docs gave me a topical cortisone so I’ll test 2 hours after I put it on to see how I will react

Thank you.
  • travisseger
    travisseger Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have never had ibuprofen cause a BG spike, but I have had pain spike me. My money is on the pain being the culprit here.
  • Sharonks
    Options
    Most def the stress on your body. Even having a mild cold will spike me. The first week after I had surgery I didn't even test since I knew no matter what it was going to be bad and there was nothing I could do. Since they cut me open I wasn't exactly going to be walking around to lower my BG.

I hope you are feeling better today and that the cream helps. Another thing I've found that spikes me is when I've had to take prednisone so if they put you on that for the swelling and itching don't be surprised if that does it. It also can make people eat constantly so be prepared. I was lucky, it turned off my appetite and I had to force myself to eat.
  • CRody44
    Options
    I started taking ibuprofen the other day because I got a case of hives and intense joint pain. Turns out you don’t use ibuprofen for hives. Anyway, over a period of a few days, I was covered from head to heel with hives and extreme pain in all my joints. Went to the doctor twice, diagnosed with hives but they didn’t know what was causing the joint pain. I got some Tylenol/codeine but that didn’t help. When my throat started tightening up, I ended up in the hospital for three days. I was diagnosed with Systemic Inflammatory Response Syndrome where the body causes the response because of some internal infection. The joint pain was a sudden onset of Rheumatoid Arthritis. Morphine did nothing for the pain so I was put on steroids (Prednisone). Unfortunately, my Blood Glucose rose to 390+ and was put on insulin. It also raised my blood pressure and resting heart rate from my normal of 45-60 BPM to 70-90 BPM. It also triggered my Atrial Fibrillation which has been constant since Thursday. The problem with this is when your heart rate goes over 120 BPM, it can trigger a heart attack or stroke. Just getting up and going to the bathroom raises it over 120, and to go up stairs for bed, even with rests each third of the way up, sets me well over 140 BPM. Luckily, it recovers fast. While in the hospital, to determine what the infection is, they drew over 60 vials of blood and are testing for everything: environmental, biological, infectious diseases, viral – everything. They are also testing for what I may have picked up in any of nine countries I visited in northern Europe at the end of June, as well as what could have been transmitted by any of hundreds of visitors from all over the world that I may have come in contact with flying for about 24 hours to and from Europe, as well as 3,500 passengers on a cruise ship. Why couldn’t it be peanuts?

Anyway, I have appoints with my Cardiologist, Rheumatologist and Medical Doctors this week. Hopefully they can figure something out soon, this is kind of a bummer.
  • Sharonks
    Options
    That is horrible. I'm sure you will get back off the insulin once your body is no longer under attack. I had a friend who had a similar problem. They finally found that he had an autoimmune disorder and was allergic to himself! I hope they find it is something that you can avoid or can easily be treated. With all that travelling it could be any number of things you were temporarily exposed to.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    @CRoddy44, sorry to hear that news. I trust and pray that the medics get the bottom of this and that your get relief quickly.
  • CRody44
    Options
    There is a silver lining to every dark cloud. Because of the steriods goofing with my system, I am being extra careful with my diet. Not that I have it all figgured out, but I'm starting to figgure out the insuline thing as far as carbs - what kind, when, how much, etc. This morning My FBG was 84 and two hours after breakfast, it was 114. My blood pressure at the doctors office today was 109/77 - 74BPM, numbers I am pleased with, and more importantly, so is my doctor. My steroids were lowered today in an attempt to slowly wean me off of them.

Thank you all for your support.
  • Sharonks
    Options
    Excellent BG. You must be doing a lot better if they are getting you off the steroids. Those things are awful. Glad things are looking up.