August 7 Weekly Challenge: Accident Proof

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited August 2017 in Social Groups
Theme: Healthy Practices
Challenge: Accident Proof

This week, let's take a closer look at our homes. Let's do a room by room inventory and look for potential accidents waiting to happen. According to the Home Safety Council, home accidents cause 20,000 deaths in the United States each year, and what's just as striking, most of these accidents could be prevented. Household accidents fall into predictable categories and most have simple interventions that reduce the likelihood of an accident occurring.

Most common household accidents that lead to injuries/death:
  • Falls
  • Poisonings
  • Suffocation
  • Drowning
  • Inadequate railings and banisters
  • Unsafe storage of medications
  • Water heaters set too high
  • Firearms improperly stored or locked up

I've learned that simple steps such as getting rid of throw rugs, better lighting, installing bathroom grab bars, double checking how poisons and medicines are stored, and securing railings and banisters go a long ways toward reducing the risk of an accident. And guess what else helps? Eliminating clutter! The more things we have to maneuver around, the more likely they are to cause an accident.

This topic is very personal to me. In 2013, when I was out walking in the woods of my backyard, I tripped over a tree stump and had a bad fall. I didn't think much of it at the time, but when my right hip was still hurting three weeks later I went to see my doctor and she ordered an x-ray. The diagnosis: severe arthritis in my right hip. I had no pain or mobility challenges in my hip before that fall. In fact, I had been training to walk the New York City Marathon. But sometimes the impact of just one accident is substantial enough to cause permanent and irreparable damage. Five months later, the only way I could get around was by using a cane or a walker. Soon after that, I received a new right hip and fortunately was able to resume the activities and exercising that I enjoy.

Many times I've thought, "If only I hadn't fallen. If only I'd been a little more careful." I certainly would have avoided my my first hip replacement in 2013, but I also think it's likely I wouldn't have needed my left hip replaced four weeks ago. But that's what accidents do. They change the trajectories of our lives and put us on a different and often less desirable path. The experience of tripping over a tree stump and needing joint replacement surgery has made me keenly aware of how quickly and easily an accident can happen. I now regularly look for potential hazards before they can harm someone in my family. And that's why I'm glad we are taking this week to focus on accident prevention. Most accidents in the home can be avoided. Let's take some time this week to make our homes as safe as possible.

This Week's Challenge: Do a room by room scan of your home, garage, basement and other living spaces looking for potential problems that could cause an accident. The suggested resources below list the biggest problem areas and have recommendations for simple steps that reduce the risk of an injury. I've identified at least two actions that I'm taking this week. I'm installing more motion detector night lights in darkened areas and I'm putting up a grab bar near the bath tub.

Wednesday Check-in: Look for the updates post this Wednesday. Please post any frustrations, suggestions, or questions you may have for our group. We can all learn from each other!

Make it a great week!

...............................................................................................

Suggested Resources:

Home Accident Statistics: Is Your Home as Safe as You Think?
http://www.asecurelife.com/home-accident-statistics/

Preventing Home Accidents
http://www.prevention.com/health/healthy-living/preventing-home-accidents

Watch Your Step While Washing Up
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/16/health/research/16stats.html

Home is where the greatest accident risk is, warns top A&E doctor
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/dec/12/home-accident-risk-nhs-doctor

..................................................................................................

Replies

• prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Great challenge. Fall fast approaching I think it is a great opportunity to scan my house and do some deep cleaning as well. Thank you!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I've never really thought about this! Good challenge! My basement area needs lots of work. And I can think of other hazards too. I'll have to look into this further. Thanks!
  • alexandra3902
    alexandra3902 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You are so right. I'll have to do a room by room inspection to check for possible hazards.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Good reminder to check those things I seldom think about.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    Thank you for an important challenge about household safety. It is important for potential safety problems to be brought to my attention or consciousness because I can get very used to my own environment and not even realize something is amiss.

I've been busy with my grandchildren the last several days, but I will be able to look at the resources tomorrow.

Thankyou
    :flowerforyou:
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,781 Member
    Options
    This is important for me as I'm getting older, and this is a serious consideration as we age. Falls for the elderly are life threatening. I was off gallivanting this week so haven't had a chance to do a once over. Fortunately, my husband has always been very safety-conscious; however, the things that he never worried about (like throw rugs) are a bit harder to convince him of.