Sept. 4 Weekly Challenge: Good Start and Good End

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
Theme: Healthy Habits
Challenge: Good Start and Good End

Confession. I often select our weekly challenges from things that I'd like to work on, or put into practice, or know more about. This week's challenge is in that category. I have a pretty decent morning routine that sets a positive tone for the rest of the day. But I haven't yet been successful in creating an evening/pre-bedtime routine that's a good relaxing "closer" for my day. I'm convinced that if I had a better evening routine my sleep schedule would be less erratic. So that's my priority for this week.

As you'll see from the resources below, there are lots of advocates for morning routines. Taking 10 or 20 minutes the first thing in the morning to focus on something that's important to you is a great way to start your day. For many of us, the day can too easily get away from us and our best intentions to "do that later" get put aside in favor of our many commitments and responsibilities.

For me, my short morning routine energizes and motivates me. I do a few simple yoga stretches and then spend about 10 minutes enjoying a quiet cup of coffee while thinking about the tremendous gift that I've been given of another day. I also take these few minutes to notice and appreciate the small subtle daily changes outside that are happening as we shift into autumn. On days that I've had to forgo my morning routine and launch right into the day, I'm more rushed, stressed, and less productive than when I take these first few minutes.

Morning and evening routines are flexible. They can be short and focused, spanning only a few minutes, or they can last several hours. Whatever works best for you. Some people have a short, medium, and longer routine, depending on how much time they have that day. I like this strategy. I try to get in a morning walk through my woods, but sometimes there just isn't time.

I'm sure many of you have a morning and/or evening routine that is just as beneficial to you. Please tell us about it. How has it helped you? Have you changed your routine over time? Let us know. We can all learn from each other.

This Week's Challenge: If you don't already have a morning/evening routine in place, choose something that you think will work well for you. Test drive it this week! And if you have a daily practice already, is there something else you might add to it or tweak it in some way so that it's even more useful to you?

Wednesday Check-in: Look for the updates post this Wednesday. Please post any frustrations, suggestions, or questions you may have for our group.

Make it a great week!

...............................................................................................

Suggested Resources:

Why Everyone Should Have a Morning Routine
https://examinedexistence.com/why-everyone-should-have-a-morning-routine/

Why You Should Have A Morning Routine
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-you-should-have-a-morning-routine/

Four simple morning habits that will improve your day (and each one only takes five minutes)
https://www.inc.com/julian-hayes-ii/4-simple-morning-habits-that-will-improve-your-day.html

The 10 smartest things you can do every night
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/small-business/openforum/articles/10-nighttime-habits-to-boost-your-productivity-tomorrow/

5 Tips To Create An Evening Routine For Great Sleep
https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-20076/5-tips-to-create-an-evening-routine-for-great-sleep.html

..................................................................................................

Replies

• themedalist
    edited September 2017
    Options
    fvd416vaj32s.jpg

9eb2j8bzto11.jpg
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Great post. I agree, my morning routine is great. I need to work on my evenings. Good luck everyone!
  • dcarter1020
    dcarter1020 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This is wonderful. I'm in desperate need of a morning routine. I tend to worry about everyone else and stress about what needs to be done. I think developing a routine would help alleviate some of that stress. Thanks for the helpful post!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I desperately need both! I come up with plans and stick with the for a few days and then life happens and I lose focus and I'm running around stressed again. This is perfect challenge for me. I will read the links you referenced and come up with a plan.

I have stuck with the Unplug challenge for a few weeks in a row now. Sunday is now unplugged day (except for MFP) and I LOVE IT!!!! I'm also trying to re-introduce less sitting by doing my laptop stuff standing at the counter, walking to people for questions at work rather than emailing, taking stairs to upstairs restroom at work and getting up during commercials at home. So those are two challenges that I have really tried to turn into habits. :) Thank you again!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,781 Member
    Options
    I also have a pretty good morning routine, but like @prgirl39mfp , my evening routine needs work.
  • HGSmith0920
    HGSmith0920 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    For the longest time, I didn't have either. The only thing I ever did consistently at bed time I took my medication and put on an audio book. But over the last week or two, I've been really trying to put new practices into place for morning and evening. I think it's so funny that this was the challenge this week since this is what I have been focusing on. It's not perfect yet and probably won't be for a while but it's definitely getting easier!

For my morning routine I, get up when the alarm goes off, brew a cup of coffee, read a few chapters in my bible, go through a guided meditation using the Calm app on my phone, pray, and do a yoga video. That usually takes about an hour depending on the length of the video and how much time I have. After that, I get the DH out of bed and get him in the shower(he's such a big baby sometimes! Lol), make lunches for us, get dressed, teeth, hair, makeup and we are out the door. Lol.

As for evening, I usually try at about sometime around 830 or 9, get up and take a shower, brush my teeth, wash my face and then go back to whatever I was doing. Then at about 10 I'll take my meds, kiss the DH, turn off the lights, get into bed and put on a sleep meditation(also using Calm) and fall asleep. Lol.

They're fairly simple but sometimes they are so hard to stick to because it's not something that is set in stone yet. But I have been really enjoying the time in the morning. It's just a nice time to spend with myself and the Lord.
  • LaceyLieb
    LaceyLieb Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Love this. I've always been morning person, so my mornings pretty consistently involve an espresso and workout, but my nights are lacking. Lately, I just browse the internet until I'm tired or realize it's late, wash up and go to sleep. Would love for my night routine to involve yoga + self-care (bath or face mask). Weirdly, have also noticed that I don't overindulge on late night snacks when I end my day with a glass of wine.
  • themedalist
    Options
    I desperately need both! I come up with plans and stick with the for a few days and then life happens and I lose focus and I'm running around stressed again. This is perfect challenge for me. I will read the links you referenced and come up with a plan.

I have stuck with the Unplug challenge for a few weeks in a row now. Sunday is now unplugged day (except for MFP) and I LOVE IT!!!! I'm also trying to re-introduce less sitting by doing my laptop stuff standing at the counter, walking to people for questions at work rather than emailing, taking stairs to upstairs restroom at work and getting up during commercials at home. So those are two challenges that I have really tried to turn into habits. :) Thank you again!

@OConnell5483, I am thrilled to hear that sitting less and unplugging have become habits for you. Habits that you enjoy and are useful to you. Almost all of our weekly challenges could become habits. We can test drive them for a week and see if they're a good fit. I am glad you found a few new habits that are making your life better!
  • themedalist
    Options
    For the longest time, I didn't have either. The only thing I ever did consistently at bed time I took my medication and put on an audio book. But over the last week or two, I've been really trying to put new practices into place for morning and evening. I think it's so funny that this was the challenge this week since this is what I have been focusing on. It's not perfect yet and probably won't be for a while but it's definitely getting easier!

For my morning routine I, get up when the alarm goes off, brew a cup of coffee, read a few chapters in my bible, go through a guided meditation using the Calm app on my phone, pray, and do a yoga video. That usually takes about an hour depending on the length of the video and how much time I have. After that, I get the DH out of bed and get him in the shower(he's such a big baby sometimes! Lol), make lunches for us, get dressed, teeth, hair, makeup and we are out the door. Lol.

As for evening, I usually try at about sometime around 830 or 9, get up and take a shower, brush my teeth, wash my face and then go back to whatever I was doing. Then at about 10 I'll take my meds, kiss the DH, turn off the lights, get into bed and put on a sleep meditation(also using Calm) and fall asleep. Lol.

They're fairly simple but sometimes they are so hard to stick to because it's not something that is set in stone yet. But I have been really enjoying the time in the morning. It's just a nice time to spend with myself and the Lord.

@HGSmith0920, thanks for sharing your morning and evening routines. Isn't it great how things sometimes come together at just the right time? You had been working on your routines over the last couple of weeks and Voila! It's this week's challenge!
  • themedalist
    Options
    LaceyLieb wrote: »
    Love this. I've always been morning person, so my mornings pretty consistently involve an espresso and workout, but my nights are lacking. Lately, I just browse the internet until I'm tired or realize it's late, wash up and go to sleep. Would love for my night routine to involve yoga + self-care (bath or face mask). Weirdly, have also noticed that I don't overindulge on late night snacks when I end my day with a glass of wine.

@LaceyLieb, coffee and a workout... A great way to start the day!
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    @OConnell5483, I am thrilled to hear that sitting less and unplugging have become habits for you. Habits that you enjoy and are useful to you. Almost all of our weekly challenges could become habits. We can test drive them for a week and see if they're a good fit. I am glad you found a few new habits that are making your life better!

I have you and this group to thank! I have thought about doing these things myself in the past, but for some reason they didn't seem as big of a deal until I saw you post all the reasons why they could help.

I feel like that is the same with this week's challenge. I have been telling myself FOREVER that I need a better morning and evening routine to take some of the stress out of my life, but until you made it a challenge, I didn't get serious about sitting down and really thinking about what I need to change and what I can do to make my days go smoother.

It must be the accountability thing I need? I don't know but I do know that this particular group challenge has been really helpful for me! Thank you for all the time you put into it! :)
  • themedalist
    Options
    I'm glad this week's challenge has struck a good chord with so many of you. I think of morning and evening routines as bookends for the day. They can help keep the day organized and together and not spilling out in all directions.
  • SpiritHippo
    SpiritHippo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Wonderful resources. Thanks for posting! I started by selecting three tasks to do today that will assist me in reaching my goals and writing them out in my planner.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I have a basic nighttime routine that will get me into bed, but I don't have anything in place that I am consistent with that signals me that it is actually time for me to get ready to go to sleep. I used to have a short routine in the evening that would help my tomorrow start off on a good note, but over time that has fallen by the wayside more often than not.

I have a basic morning routine that will get me out the door in the morning, but I often fall short on the several additional things that I like to add to my morning if I am staying at home. I can get myself distracted either by my to do list or something that seems interesting....

:flowerforyou:
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    @texasgardnr I can totally relate! I have a great plan in my head. It just only lasts about one or two days in a row and then before you know it, I'm running out the door in a hectic rush again. (For example, TODAY!!! ugh.)