Feb 26 Weekly Challenge: Deskercise!

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
Theme: Exercise and Movement
Challenge: Deskercise

This week, let’s focus on getting more exercise and movement in at work, what’s sometimes called Deskercise. Even if you don’t have an office job, if you sit at your home office or in front of a computer or TV for much of the day, these exercises can really help.

I’m sure you know that prolonged sitting has terrible impacts on your health. Emerging public health research suggests that two factors matter greatly when it comes to sitting: 1) The total amount of sitting we do throughout the day and 2) How long we sit at any one time without taking a break to stand up, stretch, or move around. For many of us who work in an office, that second factor can be easier to control the first. Please try to take a break from sitting every 30 minutes, but at least once an hour. Getting up from your chair after 30 minutes of sitting and standing in place or stretching, moving around for a minute or two, or doing some of the Deskercises included below can reduce your health risks significantly.

We will devote three weeks in May to a deep dive into sitting less both at home and at work through our homegrown Sit Less Boot Camp (learn more about it here). But let’s not wait until May. We can make great strides this week!

I’ve included a large selection of resources and infographics because we work in different office environments, and have different needs, interests, and abilities. If you have your own office, your exercise choices are likely broader than if you have a cubicle. The Washington Post infographics team evaluated some of the most common Deskercises and their ratings include a “humiliation factor”. Their review is pretty entertaining and they’ve developed a really nice poster that you can print out and display as a handy reminder.

Another discrete option is an under desk Desk Cycle. There’s quite a few choices available on Amazon. A colleague of mine uses hers regularly and says it has really helped her knee arthritis.

Fittingly, it’s also our last Move it Monday. Let’s finish the Move it Monday challenge series strong! Please tell us how you exercised today by posting on the Move It Monday thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10637806/jan-29-weekly-challenge-move-it-mondays

This Week’s Challenge: Take a few minutes to explore the Deskercise resources and infographics posted below. What would be a good fit for you? And if you just can’t see yourself doing knee-ups or chair yoga at work, setting a timer to get up and walk around for a minute of two after 30 minutes of sitting will also have a big impact on your health.

Make it a great week!

............................................................................................................................................

Suggested Resources:

A Workout at Work?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/health/workout-at-work/

Deskercise Poster:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/health/workout-at-work/images/office-exercise-poster.pdf

33 Ways to Exercise at Work
https://greatist.com/fitness/deskercise-33-ways-exercise-work

Office Workout: Moves You Can Do Right at Your Desk
https://www.verywellfit.com/your-office-workout-moves-you-can-do-right-at-your-desk-1231248

............................................................................................................................................

Replies

• themedalist
    edited February 2018
    Options
    oaconj88q2ie.jpeg

How perfect is this? Our last prompt for the Move It Monday Challenge is about Deskercise!

2dyfybio3bsj.jpeg

Let’s finish the Move it Monday challenge series strong! Please tell us how you exercised today by posting on the Move It Monday thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10637806/jan-29-weekly-challenge-move-it-mondays

• themedalist
    Options
    Here’s the Deskercise poster that can be printed and displayed. The link to download it is available from the Suggested Resources:

t19yk02ju4ke.jpeg

• themedalist
    edited February 2018
    Options
    A few more ideas for Deskercisizing and Chair Yoga:

4nujq9zgn4ep.jpeg

Chair Yoga image is from: http://mypain.ca/chair-yoga/. I love the simplicity of the stick figures!

3hjf3ztgxvlj.jpeg

• prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Awesome post! Lets do this!
  • Zulu87
    Zulu87 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    these are great! I'm going to try to take the long way to walk to the bathroom and meetings too!
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    Today I will be at a seminar from 9 to 5. Hope to implement some of what has been shared here.
  • MmamabearR
    MmamabearR Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    Really want to try some of these. I tried this video a couple weeks ago, not a bad little workout

Thank you for that @77tes. This looks awesome! I'm going to try this today.

• PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Home sick today with a rotten cold, but Monday and Tuesday I used the Miracle Timer app to remind me to get up and move. Every time I got up to get water, I took a lap around the building, so that helped get some steps in. It's a small building but it's better than not getting up from my desk!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    77tes...thank you for sharing the video. I was quick and beneficial. I really liked it. I may steal this!
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    Get well soon @OConnell5483
  • themedalist
    Options
    I had a 2 hour all team video conference meeting yesterday. We had about 10, five minute update presentations from various people. Which gave me an idea. I stood up and walked around for every other talk, alternating between walking and sitting. Picked up quite a few extra steps!

One thing that has really helped me move more at work is having a walking buddy. Lindsey and I walk at lunch, sometimes for 15 minutes, sometimes for 30. The accountability is great. I know she will be here at 12:15. But it’s also given me a new friend... a “sole sister” so to speak since we are walking. Having a walking buddy has helped me so much. Is there someone at work or home who you could walk with on a regular basis?
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    Day 2 of the Mental Health conference. I suggested to the speaker we took a 5minute break every hour. She agreed. I was happy.
  • marlaannmrowka
    marlaannmrowka Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The week's almost over, but I just joined the group so might as well jump right in. This is great - I'm working on my thesis in grad school so that means 8 hour classes and lots of sitting. I do try to move around but I could do more. Here I go!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,781 Member
    Options
    Welcome @marlaannmrowka ! If you're in grad school Deskercise should be a big help.

I'm sending these resources to my daughter who complains a lot about all the sitting she has to do and the aches and pains she develops hunched over a computer. She'd much rather be playing tennis or softball.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    @77tes the yoga video is great! Thanks for posting it.
  • drea2011
    drea2011 Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I’ve been super absent in challenges but...I’m a teacher so I’m always up and moving!