July 23 Weekly Challenge: HIIT IT

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited July 2018 in Social Groups
Theme: Exercise and Movement
Challenge: HIIT IT!

Our challenge this week is to focus on HIIT, or High-Intensity Interval Training. Very likely you’ve heard of HIIT as it’s getting lots of press recently and may even be worthy of its reputation as a miracle exercise that can dramatically slow the aging process. You may already be a HIIT practitioner, as I am. Nothing boosts my energy or gives me a surge of endorphins like a 20 minute HIIT workout on my treadmill. I love it. If you are intrigued about HIIT but haven’t yet made it part of your exercise toolbox, this is the week!

HIIT is easy to implement, flexible and can be done by people of all fitness levels. To do a HIIT session, just intersperse brief, but regular bouts of higher intensity exercise into a moderate intensity workout such as walking, running, elliptical, stair climbing or biking. These peak bouts should be challenging and difficult for you, but not painful. If you are new to exercise, simply walking briefly at a faster pace several times during your walk can give you a good HIIT workout.

The resources below are an excellent starting point for the benefits, structure, and recommended frequency for high-intensity interval training. As always, listen to your body, start slowly, and find an exercise that you enjoy that you can push yourself a little doing. HIIT is very flexible and can be adapted to almost any exercise.

This Week’s Challenge: If you are a seasoned HIIT exerciser, enjoy what you already do. Or maybe explore a new way to do interval training? And if you are new to HIIT, pick a moderate intensity endurance exercise that you already do and up the tempo a bit!

Make it a great week!

...............................................................................................

Suggested Resources:

Don't Have Time to Exercise? Do This for 10 Minutes
http://time.com/4893161/hiit-high-intensity-interval-training-exercise/

Scared of High-Intensity Interval Training? A Heart Monitor Can Make It Fun and Easy
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/29/well/move/high-intensity-interval-training-heart-rate-monitor-hiit-exercise-fitness.html

High-Intensity Interval Training for Beginners
http://www.businessinsider.com/high-intensity-interval-training-for-beginners-2018-4

High-Intensity Interval Training (from American Council on Exercise)
https://www.acefitness.org/education-and-resources/lifestyle/blog/6752/high-intensity-interval-training

..................................................................................................

Replies

• themedalist
    edited July 2018
    Options
  • themedalist
    edited July 2018
    Options
    mijldl5xyh9w.png

And here’s a little Monday motivation to get moving!

The Brain Changing Effects of Exercise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHY0FxzoKZE

The 2 minute summary is here:

https://www.facebook.com/TED/videos/10160545401360652/UzpfSTk1MjMyMTM4ODEyMjUyNzoxOTU2MjQ5MzQ0Mzk2Mzg4/

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,995 Member
    Options
    July 22
    I decided to try HIIT!
    I did a walk with the 3x3 method that was mentioned in one of your links @themedalist!

It really is fun! I will definitely do this more often!
    Thanks!
  • themedalist
    Options
    July 22
    I decided to try HIIT!
    I did a walk with the 3x3 method that was mentioned in one of your links @themedalist!

It really is fun! I will definitely do this more often!
    Thanks!

I’m so happy to hear this, @MadisonMolly2017! HIIT has so many benefits if you stick with it long term and start out slowly. For me, what I most enjoy is the boost in energy and endorphins. I step onto the treadmill, start my special HIIT playlist, and 20 minutes later, Superwoman steps off and is ready for anything!
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    I did 20 minutes of HIIT. Felt amazing. Dusted my old stepper and will incorporate more exercises as I go. Great challenge!
  • themedalist
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    I did 3 Leslie miles this morning.
    Believe it or not I do HIIT on the golf course too. I wear earbuds while I walk and golf. I have to be constantly moving on the course or I start to stiffen due to the titanium rods in my back. In order to keep my muscles warm I side step while waiting my turn. When walking and pushing my cart I have tempos where I have a steady 3 mph pace and I have tempos at 5mph and jog with my cart. Golf is not a slow pace game for me. My version of golf is very unlike most peoples. I love when I see other ladies starting to do what I do out there.

What a novel and great way to do HIIT, @PinkyPan1!
  • themedalist
    Options
    I did 20 minutes of HIIT. Felt amazing. Dusted my old stepper and will incorporate more exercises as I go. Great challenge!

Excellent!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,781 Member
    Options
    I love HIIT and try to do many of my workouts as HIIT routines. I even do this when I go to Curves (although it only works if there aren't a lot of others working out).
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    3.94 mile power walk this morning. Mile two I would do bursts of sprinting to raise the heart beat even higher. Woot I feel good.
  • prgirl39mfp
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Well done everyone!

HIIT is really good, makes me sweat so fast and I feel accomplished. LOL!

20 minutes HIIT
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,995 Member
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    3.94 mile power walk this morning. Mile two I would do bursts of sprinting to raise the heart beat even higher. Woot I feel good.

WOW!!
  • PinkyPan1
    Options
    3 Leslie Miles walk and form. 4 Min HIIT
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    Taking a break from HIIT today. I can feel my knees hurt, do not want to risk getting hurt.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Taking a break from HIIT today. I can feel my knees hurt, do not want to risk getting hurt.

Goof idea! My understanding is HIIT should not be done every day. Because of the intensity, the body needs time to recover. At least 24 hours.
  • PinkyPan1
    Options
    3.25 mile power walk, 1 Leslie mile
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options

Goof idea! My understanding is HIIT should not be done every day. Because of the intensity, the body needs time to recover. At least 24 hours.

Yes, that is why I took a break.

Today I will do 30 minutes elliptical and HIIT ( Jumping Jacks and High knees)
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Looks like everyone did a great job with this challenge! I didn't get on MFP much this week. Crazy week!

I did find out I have a torn/detached labrum in my left hip and need surgery. It's scheduled for 8/23. I'm so bummed out. But rather than focusing on negatives of surgery, I'm really trying to be grateful that after 7 years of pain, someone finally listened to me and got some doctors to really look at it and something is finally being done! I hope and pray that I will be free of pain after all is said and done, and that I will be able to reach my goal for 2018 which was to take daily walks!

Thank you for keeping this group going Denise and everyone! I love these challenges. They open my eyes to so many things that I honestly never really think about in my day-to-day grind! xoxo
  • themedalist
    Options
    Looks like everyone did a great job with this challenge! I didn't get on MFP much this week. Crazy week!

I did find out I have a torn/detached labrum in my left hip and need surgery. It's scheduled for 8/23. I'm so bummed out. But rather than focusing on negatives of surgery, I'm really trying to be grateful that after 7 years of pain, someone finally listened to me and got some doctors to really look at it and something is finally being done! I hope and pray that I will be free of pain after all is said and done, and that I will be able to reach my goal for 2018 which was to take daily walks!

Thank you for keeping this group going Denise and everyone! I love these challenges. They open my eyes to so many things that I honestly never really think about in my day-to-day grind! xoxo

You are so welcome, @PackerFanInGB! I'm glad our challenges have helped.

I'm sure you have mixed feelings about your surgery recommendation and surgery is never something to take lightly. I can tell you though that I've never regretted any of my 4 surgeries once I got through physical therapy and allowed my body to heal. In fact, without my 2 artificial hips, I'd be in a wheelchair now. So I love your approach of staying focused on the positive. I believe that surgery is the door that opens up and will lead you to the active life that you want and will have again!
  • themedalist
    Options
    I got in two HIIT sessions this week instead of my usual (of late) 1. My goal is 3 HIIT sessions a week, with walking on the alternate days.

I'm counting this as SUCCESS!